To Myrtle Beach - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2024

To Myrtle Beach

Yesterday's marathon to Georgetown took us past the halfway point on our route to New York.  Barry and I have been kicking around the notion of continuing on to Cape Cod for a lobster roll and time to ride by all my childhood memories. We're still having enough fun to go for it. Mike may or may not hang with us that far; he and Lori have another big trip coming up to prepare for. We shall see.

Since we left Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine two weeks ago, daydreams about Myrtle Beach have kept me going on all those long rides. We have a reservation for three nights in the state park and today looks like the best beach day we'll get. Time to get a move on.

We don't have too far to go - less than half of yesterday's distance. There's a good shoulder for the first eight miles on U.S. 17, then we're off on easy streets that take us to the Waccamaw Neck Bikeway. 

I got out ahead of Barry enough to catch him coasting down the Waccamaw River Bridge
Heart 7 Comment 0
Crimson clover and some other little yellow posies along U.S. 17
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThe "little yellow posies" look like black medick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicago_lupulina
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Nice neighborhood by a golf course in Pawley's Island SC.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Actually, all the neighborhoods around here seem to be near a golf course.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Waccamaw Neck Bikeway. If you ride here, watch out for the new section where the pavement breaks at the driveways and suddenly you're in deep sand. I ate it on one of those breaks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here's a new one, sharing the path with golf carts. Two of them pulled over to let us pass.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezWe spent Christmas 2023 in Palm Springs. The bike paths were a joke. We were told we should have been in adjacent Palm Desert, where there are many bike/golf course paths. That must be the new thing.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezIt's new to me. I'm guessing these paths were paved with tax revenue from all the golf resorts.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Where the bikeway goes through the woods it gets a bit twisty and bumpy. I still prefer it to sharing the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The bikeway gets us to the 17 Business Loop in Garden City to ogle the waterfront homes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Most homes on the shore road are raised up above storm surge level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch at the SaltAire restaurant in the Holiday Inn
Heart 2 Comment 0
Home stretch, in Myrtle Beach State Park
Heart 5 Comment 0

At the park we throw up the tents in a jiffy and head on out to the beach. While it's not as wild and unspoiled as Anastasia State Park, we're happy to be here.  There's rain in the forecast tomorrow so we'll soak up the rest of this beautiful day by the ocean. 

Healthy looking plants stabilize the sand dunes at the beach.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltIndian blanket, aka firewheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaillardia_pulchella
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Barry is going in.
Heart 6 Comment 0
He is rocking the bike tan.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rich FrasierIt's what all the cool people are wearing these days!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
At last, I get to bury my feet in the sand and regard the sea.
Heart 7 Comment 0
I like this look. He turned his high-viz yellow bike jacket inside out so as not to blind us.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Picnic dinner
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0

Just a bit of the ocean waves for your listening pleasure....

Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 1,093 miles (1,759 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great day! You sure earned it!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Scott AndersonShe beat me to it. I was just going to say the same thing.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago