To Georgetown - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2024

To Georgetown

There was much discussion last night about how to get to Georgetown, South Carolina. This was going to be a two-day ride from Charleston but I could only find one place to stay on the way - a primitive campground with no bathroom, no water, certainly no indoor activity center and likely a healthy mosquito population. Not appealing. 

Ultimately we decided to suck it up and ride all the way in one go. I've mapped an 88 mile route that meanders on and off U.S. 17. That would surely be a record for us touring loaded. We can cut the mileage by skipping some of the detours off the highway; the more we do on 17, the sooner we'll get there. And it'll be a hotel night, another incentive to go the distance.

At 7 am on my way back from an early morning writing jag at the campground activity center, I pass Mike all loaded up and on his way out, fast. The mosquitos have nailed him so badly that he has blood running down his hand. We definitely don't want to camp tonight.

Save yourself!
Heart 4 Comment 0

An hour later Barry and I are on the road in hot pursuit. Well, at least  lukewarm pursuit. On our way out of Charleston we cross the spectacular Arthur Ravenel Jr. bridge on a wide multi-use path. 

While it looks empty here, we passed lots of walkers, joggers and cyclists on this terrific 2.5 mile path alongside the bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The 1,546 foot long main span of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge is the third longest cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at the Charleston waterfront from the bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Ravenel Bridge delivers us to the quiet neighborhood streets of Mt. Pleasant. The Publix store here is the last real food stop before Georgetown so we stop to pick up some sandwiches for lunch. 

For the next 38 miles we're on and off U.S. 17. As we skip some of the detours where the shoulder of 17 looks fine, our projected mileage total drops. Most of the way the shoulder is decent, traffic is moderate and we're lucky enough to have a tailwind again.

This Lutheran chapel in Mt. Pleasant's Old Village dates back to 1884.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My shoe making another cameo appearance on U.S. 17
Heart 1 Comment 0

With 18 miles to go we swing south of the highway on the North Santee River Road and find a shady spot for a lunch break. This stretch runs by old plantations, nice houses and plenty of fixer-uppers. It's all flat and easy. 

Near the end we're on the most chill road of the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I seem to have a thing for blue houses.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We finish with 78 miles, which feels a lot better than the original prospect of 88. It's the first time this year that we've ridden past Barry's age, with three extra miles past that milestone. 

Mike is already chilling out at the Quality Inn. He took more of the detours off 17 and had some extra work to do on a road that degraded into sand. And still, he had extra time and energy for a liquor store run to toast the big ride with celebratory Margaritas. Get you a touring buddy like Mike.

No camp dinners with Walmart fare tonight; we're treating ourselves at the River Room on the Georgetown waterfront. Tomorrow we'll ride to Myrtle Beach and use the day we saved on the road for an extra day at the beach.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Shrimp, scallops, sweet tater fries and my first taste of collard greens - not bad.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonLooks delicious!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Safe harbor in Georgetown
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 miles (126 km)
Total: 1,057 miles (1,701 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonHmm - storms, mosquitoes, killer squirrels. Thanks for testing this one out for us, Janice!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Cheryl Keller78 miles ! That is a long way !!! 🙌🏻
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonGreat job cycling 78 miles! It’s been a very long time since I’ve done such a long ride.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonMy pleasure. Let us not forget the black rats chewing into Mike's bag and murderous screams of raccoons in the night. But I swear, we're having fun, for real.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonIt's been a few years for me too. I hope this will stand as the record for this trip.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago