Bilbao to Vitoria-Gasteiz - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2024

Bilbao to Vitoria-Gasteiz

I forgot to mention yesterday how many Camino walkers we saw on the path along the Nervión. I hadn’t realized that the Camino del Norte passed through; perhaps that’s why the walkway is so well developed. The cycling route was well done too. 

We headed out for a walk to Decathlon during a lull in the rain but, of course, it was closed on Sunday evening. The rain started again in earnest as we were walking back by a less-direct route, but we didn’t get too wet. We learned something, though. In our modern hotel, you can’t get the heat (or AC, presumably) to come on if the window is open. How does it know?  Once the heating was on, our rain jackets and laundry dried quickly. 

After some discussion about whether to skip dinner altogether (I can’t believe Al even considered that!), we went out to an Italian restaurant very close to our hotel, a big plus in case we had to sprint back. We shared a pizza unlike one I’d had before, with a thin Italian-style crust and plenty of veggies and cheese, rather like in North America. The liberal olive oil finish was the Spanish touch. 

Today was the first real ride of the tour. We started easy with a train ride to Lemoa to get out of the city. 

Riding to Matiko station. Those vertical bits on the profile are correct—we took two of the many outdoor public elevators in Bilbao.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arriving the easy way at Matiko station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were very impressed by Euskotren! The cycling infrastructure in the Bilbao area is first-class (compared to what we have at home).
Heart 6 Comment 0

The ride from Lemoa to Vitoria-Gasteiz was pleasant, except maybe for the approximately 3 km on N-240 after Legutio where the highway was high-speed and divided, but provided with a smooth wide shoulder. We then escaped onto the rail trail into Vitoria-Gasteiz. 

Prior to that, the Alto de Dima climb was quite nice. Not too steep or too long, smooth and quiet road, pleasant temperature, calm wind…who could ask for more. Very nice for the first loaded climb of the trip. 

Official start of the climb
Heart 3 Comment 0
Flower of the day: purple columbine. These lined the road all the way up the climb.
Heart 5 Comment 0
One done, plenty more to come!
Heart 7 Comment 0
On the Vasco-Navarro rail trail
Heart 5 Comment 0

No problems following our route right to our hotel, where we could check in upon arrival. We were taken to a nearby parking garage where we stashed our bikes in a windowless locked room. They look very secure in there. 

The Walking Man sculpture is very close to our hotel.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After dropping our bags in our room, we ventured out for a late lunch. We had noticed a lot of businesses were closed today as we rode through V-G, so when we saw a small bar/restaurant almost next door to our hotel was open and offered a menu del dia, we went in. 

 The bread and my first course were good but the rest was mediocre.   Better luck next time!

I got spargel! I always think of white asparagus by its German name since I had it for the first time in Germany (and many more times on that trip). This was the best part of today’s lunch.
Heart 4 Comment 0

A few photos from our short post-lunch walkabout:

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

And from our walk in the Casco Viejo district before finding a light dinner:

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
It would have been interesting to visit the Santa Maria Cathedral during its extensive renovations—you have to take a tour and the photos show visitors wearing hard hats. But we were far too late in the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were many outdoor covered inclined moving walkways, including this series that led up to the cathedral level from somewhere below to the west. We also saw some outdoor escalators (not covered) and at least one outdoor elevator. We saw no private motor vehicles in the city centre. None at all.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love these! Especially when they are covered.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 77 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0