We start the Mosel River route - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2024

We start the Mosel River route

Such is the wonder of travel that a place can touch you when you least expect it and yield wonderful memories.  We had decided to backtrack from Koblenz due to the holiday which meant there was limited availability and  very high prices. We decided on this place in Desenau because the price was great, breakfast was included and it was a short ride to Bad Ems.  What we discovered here was a traditional German guesthouse set in a picturesque, historic village with great food and lovely hosts. We really enjoyed our time here.

Our final breakfast at Gastehais Lahnhof. They don’t offer a buffet…instead they set up each table with everything you need plus they prepare fresh eggs on demand.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We like this custom, popular in Germany, which is have a receptacle set on each table to gather any garbage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wishing you a good day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The table is set with buns and pastries, condiments galore, a meat and cheese plate and a pot of coffee..yeah.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading out after 2 nights here….loved our stay here. This Inn had about 30 rooms and they were full most nights.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are many treasures that the owner has collected over the years. We found the colourful, folksy tiles depicting country life to be quite eye catching.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen got to know Dieter, a gentleman who is staying at the Inn. They shared travel stories of places they have enjoyed and found that they had much in common.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One last photo of the Gasthaus with Barry and the owner. He and his wife are busy people catering to the needs of guests in 30 rooms and preparing food for breakfast and dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Riding the Lahn today was lovely on this fine day. It is a bit bittersweet as we will have made 2 round trips to Koblenz in the past few days. The locks are always interesting to see and to watch them 8n action.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route is busy today with trekkers and cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liked this mural of life on the Lahn in past times.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys were loving their relaxing day on the river, just gliding along with the current.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have made it to the Mosel River. The area for cyclists on the bridge is narrow, so we are waiting our turn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are enjoying being back on the Mosel River after several years. The towering hills filled with vineyards is a sight to see.
Heart 2 Comment 0
River boats like Viking do,a good business here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, we are back on the Mosel…such a happy place with people of all ages cycling, trekking, or by car. All enjoying the history, wineries , villages and scenery of the Mosel River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Winningen is the first town on the Mosel that we stopped at. It is a lovely village with narrow, winding lanes and half timbered houses. One of the roads was closed due to a house fire in one of these houses. The fire had spread to a number of other houses as they are built so close together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting architecture.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretI love this stuff! ❤️
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Wine is revered on the Moseland and it is the lifeblood for many families. There many places to relax and drink wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Often trains run right next to the bike path
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretGreat photo! Looks like you are playing conductor :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Barry Bartlett😼good one Karen
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Here is another type of train that is found in all the hillside vineyards. These “trains” travel on a suspended track through the vineyard during harvest time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At times, you have to pinch yourself. The Mosel is magical in so many ways.
Heart 1 Comment 0
…for the bikes as well as for the cars.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the hills are very vertical and covered in grapes…but sometimes you see forested hills like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the view from our room. Across the river is the town of Alken. The castle is partly built on Roman foundations. Burg Thurant is one of the Mosel regions oldest castles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our home for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In our suite…a nice welcoming touch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer view of the castle across the river from our room
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our accomodation at Weingut Fries was exceptional. We had our own suite with a bedroom, sitting/cooking room and a killer view of the river and the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We decided to have dinner at the restaurant which is run by the same family who have a winery and also run our guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are on the terrace. It was a beautiful night and it felt quite festive with people enjoying the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry’s meal was excellent…schnitzel with a Riesling sauce, grapes and mushrooms with roast potatoes and salad.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mary Ellen’s meal was extraordinary…Schweine fillet baked together with fresh spaetzle, veggies, cheese and a layer of cured meat lining the pan plus a tasty salad with a wine vinaigrette dressing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nice option in our suite was to purchase a bottle of their wine ($9) from the frig in our kitchen. We enjoyed sampling their wine at “home” and what a bargain it was. We have had a exceptional day.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 201 km (125 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you for sharing this wonderful day. I enjoyed it and I want Barry's dinner now!
Jeanna
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretI agree with Jeanna , but I will take Mary Ellen’s meal :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago