We are on the road again….briefly - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2024

We are on the road again….briefly

Our tandem has broken down

We are so relieved to have received the parcel containing the Bafang chainring from the fellow in Friesland.  Mosa Hotel was very kind to us. We checked out at 11 and used her conference room (with complimentary coffee and bathroom access - thank you!)) to wait for the parcel to arrive. The shipper said it would arrive between 2:50 and 3:50, and by golly, the truck pulled in to the hotel at 3:50 on the dot. Now we have the parts we need…we just need to find a mechanic. Barry has done some research and he has found some possible bike shops in Maastricht. We need to make time on the trail as we want to get to at least one of them before closing time.

Our collection of chainrings for our tandem. When one is installed all of the other chainrings have to be installed including new chains. Our tandem requires two chains of sizeable lengths. Chains don’t come in these exact lengths so a mechanic will have a challenge installing new chains on Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These are the Bafang chainrings that we have been waiting for. We ordered 2 sizes 44teeth and 48 teeth, just to be sure. The chainring is installed at the bottom bracket where our Bafang electric motor is attached. The old chainring has just started to break down. However, the tandem is not really rideable. We waited two weeks for this part in Germany and then discovered that the bike shop had ordered the wrong part. We gave up at that point, and headed out.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Ellen LeeYes I have heard mid drives of Bafang wear out easily chainring & chain, sorry it happened to you. I enjoy reading your journals. I do have a Bafang mid on my touring bike but don’t ride it enough for parts to wear like you! I am in Germany & heading to Netherlands on a Cube bike I had to buy last year in Hanau. Like you my PAS sensor broke but only Grin Technology has parts so hence I bought a new bike & brought Bike Friday back for torque sensor. At least you can fix yours. You two have such nice photos & enjoying yourselves! So nice to read positive journals! I live in Abbotsford! Happy trails!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesReally impressive photos, in their sad Bafang way! We bought two Stronglight chainrings for Bosch mid drive, in Nantes. Something like 53 euros each, I recall.

It's nice to see a comment from Ellen Lee, who is a serious cyclist, but without a Cycleblaze blog. Hi Ellen!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Grampies and ELLEN! It’s me, Karen home now in USA from RAIN , RAIN, WIND, WIND, MUD to 90 degrees in Santa Cruz. NUTS.
Still trying to heal from not one, but two falls off the bike which were both because I was “trying to be considerate” of another cyclist. Big mistake. Look out for yourself, as those who live there already know how to avoid you, even if you don’t think it’s possible. A trip to the ER and I am still hoping to heal with no infections. Cycle on everyone! :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
A lovely pedestrian/ cyclist bridge over the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are still in Belgium and Holland is but a few pedal strokes away. We have loved the beauty of the Meuse R through Belgium.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And just like that, we are now in Holland on the Maas River. Through France and Belgium, the river is called the Meuse River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Years ago we travelled and camped along the Maas River in blazing heat. We knew we were in Holland when we saw the wee ferry which is mostly used to transport cyclists across the river. 

Part of the way, our ride will be in Belgium or Holland. Often the border will be the border? The three flags flying are of Belgium EU and the Netherlands.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretLucky you got that! When we were on the barge, even the guide said there was no border marking on either side from Belgium/ Netherlands !
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
It brings up good memories seeing the Dutch signage with route names (Maas Route) as well as the number system which is so common in Holland and Belgium.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dutch people excel at farming and gardening. Canada has benefited from the presence of many people who emigrated to Canada and now run farms and businesses related to farming and flowers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful day for riding in Holland…appreciate that the terrain is flat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This massive canal, CanalAlbert, goes to Maastricht.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walloniais is the French speaking area of Belgiumand the Rooster is on the flag of the region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cormorant doing what it does best…drying its wings in the breeze and sunshine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An attractive Dutch building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We love being back in the Netherlands….for us as cyclists, we feel the welcome…like a big hug. No need to worry about safe bike routes. Basically you know that there will always be clearly designated areas in the city, like the brown coloured asphalt lane pictured above.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd vehicles STOP for you :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Terrific infrastructure for cyclists….pretty much everybody here, old and young, ride bikes here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This complex is part of the University of Maastritch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are seeing this interesting large bush with spiky blooms. Not sure what it is.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretPassionflower. :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes are everywhere! We love the way the Dutch decorate their bikes with flowers.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd those lovely skirt guards over the back wheel :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We made it to the bike shop before closing. It looked good but unfortunately they couldn’t help us.   They are too busy and have some mechanics off due to illness which is making it more challenging. We asked for some recommendations from them  which we will pursue when shops open tomorrow. We are disappointed but there are several bike shops in the city.   Next up..groceries and check in to our Hotel a few blocks away.

Oh yes, we are back in Holland and it is fun to shop for groceries.i have a feeling that we will be bringing some of these with us…Hagelslag Granules and they are best enjoyed on toast in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretLekker! Smak! Melk chocolade is :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 1,191 km (740 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ellen LeeI find if you are on some bike groups on Facebook you could ask someone about a bike store recommendation and someone may know a good place. I found I had to book ahead for service on my bikes as they are weeks away for an appointment. Only twice did I get service ASAP as I had flat tires! Good luck!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago