Staying in Stenay in style - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2024

Staying in Stenay in style

We are really loving staying in the village of Stenay at this historic mill, Moulin Le Cygne.  The owners, originally from the Netherlands, bought this property 23 years ago, when it was in shambles. Their description was…..it was a ruin with trees growing out of it. It has clearly been a lot of work and a labour of love. We can see by his workshop that he is a master wood worker and our apartment confirms that. We also love that we have a fully outfitted kitchen where we can cook our meals. It is good we decided to stay here 2 nights.

The 18th century mill, Moulin Le Cygne, has 5 apartments, as well as the owner’s home. It is very impressive.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The large mill originally had several wheels and was used for grain, boards, tan and oil. The flour mill was in operation until 1914, processing wheat into flour.

The apartments all share access and views of the enormous courtyard and gardens. The fig trees are laden with ripening fruit. Plus, their cat loves to spend time here
Heart 2 Comment 0
Seavo also had a holiday for a couple of days, spending his t8 time in the owner’s workshop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the view from our living room/kitchen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We visited a supermarket and stocked up on food. We discovered the “terroir” section and found local specialities that we could prepare at home. Terroir refers to the characteristics of the environment..climate, soil etc that impact flavour and quality. Breakfast was a treat…multigrain toast from the bakery, fried eggs, terroir potatoes roasted in oil, garlic and herbs. A nice change from our usual muesli, fruit and yogurt.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stenay is a small charming village with some interesting things to see…an historic town centre, the Mill and The Beer Museum…the largest and most comprehensive in Europe. It is situated next to where we re staying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A crew hard at work on some outbuildings at the Beer Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A street wise cat who seems to know we’re not locals. What is that strange language…his expression seems to say…parley vous francais?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hops growing at the Beer Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Brewer’s Star (not to be confused with the Star of David) has no religious connotations. It dates back to the 15th century and it superimposes triangles to symbolize water, fire, air and earth: the four elements required to brew beer. At the end of the medieval period this star became a common emblem for brewers and was placed above tuns as a sign of protection. Today it’s significance has been mostly forgotten, but sometimes it is still seen in advertising or on some beer labels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Beer Museum is an extensive, all encompassing endeavour which takes a historic and human  view of the history of this global product.   We followed its development and growth from a fledgling domestic product to a world wide phenomenon, from Roman times to the present. In the end, it was much more than a museum about beer. A fascinating and worthwhile visit and we were the only visitors to the museum.

It was hard to edit what photos to include, but here goes…enjoy.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scientists played a major role in the production of beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are three floors of exhibits…it is extraordinary and well done. One does not have to be a lover of beer to enjoy this museum.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretI agree with your comment, Barry. I do not drink beer at all ( or liquor ), but the sciences behind it are most intriguing!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

 

When the information became overwhelming, the museum wisely offered interactive areas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was interesting to learn about the evolving methods to wash and fill bottles over time.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We tried to create labels by doing rubbings…not so good, but entertaining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretLovely labels!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Cultural and societal changes were reflected in the advertising, labels and coasters. For a time, children were featured on advertising…not sure we understand this one.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesDrink beer, never drink water!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Different types of lids were explored and used.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making coasters with French labels
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was clear that advertising for beer has no limits and that everybody deserves a good brew.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A swashbuckling Barry enjoying a very large pint.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Of course, at the end of the Museum, there is a Tavern where we enjoyed a snack and freshly pulled pint of local beer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This local fellow and his dog are enjoying his daily brew in the tavern.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dog (still on his lead) scampered over to shower kisses on Barry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The picture of bliss.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back to our p,ace, we made a quick detour to the Patisserie for tonight’s dessert.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretGrampies fare :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We love the care bakeries take to present and wrap your purchases.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner at our apartment…terroir quiche Lorraine (we are in Lorraine district after all), roast local potatoes and salad…yum.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretThis looks and smells delicious! :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Dessert..pear flan, apple flan and pudding slice.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have had an extraordinary day in Stenay. As one should do in France, we have eaten well, imbibed local beer, befriended  a few cats (and a wee excited dog),toured an amazing museum and learned mush about France through its history of beer. 

What a beauty…the cat who lives at the Mill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierSounds like pretty much a perfect day. Congratulations!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI might have to work Stenay into a future tour!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago