Staying in Made a second night..we like it here. - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

Staying in Made a second night..we like it here.

A ride to Breda

When you think of the Netherlands, so many things come to mind. But, cheese has to be at the top of the list. Not only is the cheese delicious, it is a huge part of their history and culture. The quality of the cheese made here is a source of pride and taken very seriously. When you enter a cheese shop and show an interest, a piece will be cut off the round for you to sample.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We prefer to navigate with the Dutch number system when we can. The numbers are called knoppunts. Along the cycle paths, maps are posted of the local area with numbers at intersections. Just jot down the sequence of numbers and you can’t get lost. We bought this series of maps for the route from Maastricht to Rotterdam. You can see on the map round green dots with a number.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have been  enjoying our stay in Made at  B&B Logeren bij Van Heeren, so we extended our time to  two nights. Our room is well equipped and comfortable, we like the relaxed vibe here, plus we want more time with the goat and cat! The other reason is that  it would give us time to visit Breda which is close by..about 15 km. We have been to Breda on a previous trip and would like to revisit  it.

Part way to Breda we stopped in a village for lunch at this bakery. We liked the mini bakery cargo bike in the window.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yummy broodji….brie, walnuts and honey on a fresh bun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A tart with marzipan and topped with nuts and raisins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Apple tarte- delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Awards won by the bakery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
House and barn in the village with reed roofs…these remain very popular and are often the choice of roofing on new homes. Certainly it is attractive and the birds love them, but we think that it’s longevity of about 50 years must a reason as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Valkenburg Park is a delightful green oasis in Breda’s city centre. Until 1812, the park served as a castle garden for the Lords of Breda. A stroll in the park was forbidden for ordinary residents of Breda. In the park, there were cages with falcons (translation in Dutch…Valkens) that the royalty used for falconry.  An interesting bit of trivia…duck and chickens roam freely in the park….not sure why, but it does add to the charm.

This statue is a sculpture entitled De Vlucht by artist Hein Korman. It commemorates the early days of WW2 when thousands of residents had to flee the city. Hence the inscription…Mei 1940 which means May 1940.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You normally see moms (or dads) riding this type of bike with their kids in the front. Nonetheless, this woman looks pretty comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Breda Castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
In 1904, The Nassau Monument was built to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the bond between Breda and the House of Orange-Nassau, the house of the Dutch Royal Family.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The monument itself was created in the shape of a castle and is crowned with a lion that symbolizes the Royal Nassau line. The lion became and has remained the symbol of the Netherlands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a Dutch Military Academy in Breda and it is located opposite the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Military personnel heading home on their bikes after a day of training.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is not unusual to see the colour orange in Holland as it is Holland’s national colour. But, at this time it is all about supporting their football (soccer) team during the European Cup, which is ongoing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grote Kerk has a commanding presence in Breda’s city centre as the tower of the church is 300 feet tall. Construction began on this church in 1410.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two banners on the church are for the two art installations inside the church.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretNice to see Seavo guarding !
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, he is a good traveller and companion, especially when we look after him!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Nowadays, the church also serves as an event hall with hundreds of events taking place throughout the year. Inside the church, there is room for 1,000 people which makes it useful for big events. Strangely, there has even been a Food Truck Festival that took place inside the church.

This wooden art piece and the following two photos are part of the current exhibit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pipe organ is impressive. The organ is one of the largest in the Netherlands and it dates back to the 16th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

The other art exhibit at the church features different artists who interpret the church in a different way and style.  Photos below…

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This place is probably super busy on game day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are stopping to check out the latest windmill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical village scene with a narrow winding road of red tiles. Liked the conversion of an old barn into a living space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a wonderful day visiting Breda and riding our tandem with out a load, we were happy to get back to the B&B. As you can see, the grounds are beautiful and the back section is for the animals. The white House is Ingrid’s home and we have a comfy suite on the left side of the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The goat came running, eager for a head rub.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The goat’s eyes are closing as I rub its head. Thinking it must be pretty happy.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretLovely colors on the goat, too :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,611 km (1,000 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0