Sedan to Charleville Mezieres - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2024

Sedan to Charleville Mezieres

Touring Europe’s Largest Castle

We visited Sedan because we had read about the Fort/Castle. It is renowned for being a special historic place and has the distinction of being the largest Castle complex in Europe. 

We stayed at La Chambre d’Angele, which is located in the heart of town, close to everything. Angele, our host, was very welcoming and friendly and she gave our big tandem a safe place to stay on the ground level.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed meeting Angele, but we were somewhat frustrated by the room we had. Our room lacked a window with access to fresh air and it did have a private bathroom as advertised, but it was not attached. To access the bathroom, we had  to go to a different floor via a very steep and windy staircase, original to this old building. To climb or descend, you needed to grip the lovely old railing and the wall as the steps were very shallow. Believe me, getting to the bathroom was an adventure in the middle of the night. We had the bad luck of having the only room without an attached bathroom and the lack of amenities in the room made it not good value.  Just a tip should you stay here, as it is a well priced  guesthouse in a good location.

Angele and Barry outside her place.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got an early start as we are planning to tour Sedan Castle before we head out of town. This huge castle covers 380,000 sq ft over 7 floors. We have read that touting the castle is a big undertaking  as there are no shortcuts…that is, no elevators or ramps. One should be prepared to walk long distances and climb over 500 steps. There is a disclaimer that it is not suitable for people with disabilities who require a wheelchair or walker, etc. Mary Ellen will have her walking sticks and we are ready to explore.

The signage, or lack thereof, was confusing and we went back and forth looking for the entrance. We were not alone in that problem. But we can say that it is worth it to persevere and tour this castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grounds of the castle has a hotel and the main building of the castle that is the museum we toured. Sedan Castle was the headquarters of Napoleon and his troops during the Franco Prussian War. Also during WW1, the castle was used as a prison for members of the Resistance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The walls are an average of 21feet thick and could accommodate an army of 4,000 soldiers as well as the reigning monarch, family and staff.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that castle is huge and impressive! The walls are 21 feet thick!! I don't think anything would get through that wall!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

In 1962, the last army troops left the Castle and it was given to the city of Sedan. Each summer, the Castle hosts a medieval Festival and Jousting Tournament. 

We were very impressed by how the Castle has been brought to life with incredible staging and special effects that make the experience really authentic. We haven’t experienced anything like this before. We left the Castle with a good understanding of the significance of this Castle to history as well as an insight into what it was like to live there as a member of the Royal family and as part of the Castle’s military force.

Our first stop was deep below the foundations of the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palace of the Princes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside we explored the bastions, ramparts and battlements. The audioguide explained the techniques that were used to make the castle an impregnable fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The start of 500 steps
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYou all got your steps in, for sure, walking around that castle!!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like Barry is in trouble
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hey, where are you going?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Twin Towers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside we witnessed the castle under seige
Heart 0 Comment 0
Medieval weopons
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle is under attack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of Sedan from the highest tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entering the Princes’ Gallery we can see that the room has been set up for the wedding of Charlotte de La Marck and Henri de La Tour d’Auvergne on October 15, 1591
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitchen is preparing food for the reception
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were looking at he paintings we heard voices. We eventually figured out that the people in the paintings were having a conversation. We felt like we were at Hogworts with Harry Potter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Queen for a day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last part of the tour is reserved for the Sedan town museum. We learned about the city of Sedan from the time it was built in the 15th century to the Battle of Sedan in 1870
Heart 0 Comment 0
An impressive model of the town of Sedan in 1840 shows the colossal size of the fortifications that surrounded the town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Original paintings of the Battle of Sedan during the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 are on display
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic of all the events during the two day battle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretGotta have a bugle in war…
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A number of school groups were visiting the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every year in May, in the courtyard and in the grounds of the castle a Medieval festival takes place. Re-enactments of troubadours, troop battles and jousting tournaments take place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we were heading out of Sedan we stopped at our favourite patisserie for treats for our ride to Charleville Mezieres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As is our lot lately, it has rained everyday, despite the predictions saying that there will be no rain that day. We were a block from the Castle, heading out when the sky turned black, a wind came up and we knew we had a very wet and cold ride ahead of us.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI'm flying to Switzerland in a few days and I see there's been a lot of rain in Europe...will definitely bring my rain gear for my bike ride!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
And boy did it come down. We took refuge under a slight overhang to wait it out until it calmed down.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are geared up and ready to hit the trail, no matter what nature throws our way.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's right - - the right gear makes the difference!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Parts of a tree down across the trail…no problem!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a wonderful visit with a field full of inquisitive cows
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another tree has come down
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were riding into Charleville Mezeries we saw these amazing murals showing the poetry of Arthur Rimbaud
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived at Charleville Mezieres the birthplace of the poet Arthur Rimbaud and the home of the world festival of Puppet Theatres. We have parked our tandem at Place Ducale, a massive square in the heart of the city.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 928 km (576 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0