Saint Mihiel to Verdun - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2024

Saint Mihiel to Verdun

 It is great to be in France. We love travelling and experiencing the local culture, new food and different ways of living.   As we recall from years ago, most drivers of are very patient and kind to cyclists. Moving through different countries as we are able to do, reenforces the unique qualities of each country.

Our stay last night was at the Hotel de La Gare in Saint Mihiel. We aren’t sure where the train line is now, but our hotel has been created in what was the train station and the tracks have been pulled up. We had a very spacious room that was comfortable in this humble 2 star hotel in Saint Mihiel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good to see that this fellow is protecting himself with sunglasses and a hat, even though it looks like he could use some sunscreen!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were lucky to find a route book of the Meuse Cycle Route. We keep it close so that Mary Ellen can read to Barry about where we are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been enjoying beautiful farmland here with dairy cows, like these Holsteins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a lovely surprise. We had been riding on a secondary (“D”) highway when our route signs directed us to a newly created dedicated cycling path. After riding on a road, it is a luxury to be riding on a freshly paved trail with no cars.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The infrastructure is lovely with many options for stopping with covered areas to rest or have a meal. We chose this spot to,have lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remember we were in Commercy yesterday? We are going to have some Madeline’s we bought yesterday for dessert. Yum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Well, this is serious. In our travels, we have never seen such a strong message about giving the storks their space. Nonetheless, it is marvellous to be allowed such a close up view of the parents and their young.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stork has returned to a very well built up nest. The nest is very large.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another nest that seems to be empty. We hope that the construction of the trail didn’t upset them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding alongside a tiny village, I could see the tip of a tower between the trees. The trees were completely hiding this old manor estate. Looking back we caught this glimpse of the estate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another stork’s nest with a mom and her hungry chicks. One is sitting down and this one has its mouth open and is ready for a meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another exciting wildlife moment in our day. Traffic came to a screeching halt in this village as the mother duck boldly set out with her large brood of chicks to walk across the busy road. The chicks seem to understand that this was a dangerous mission and they moved fast in tight formation staying close to mom.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The new paved trail has ended and we are now approaching the city of Verdun on hard packed gravel. The cyclist ahead of us is a woman whom we kept meeting throughout the day. We had a day of leap frogging each other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pretty and calm Meuse is leading us into Verdun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The echo and sound within this tunnel was amazing. Very few of the wooden planks were nailed down so as Seavo and the trailer traversed the tunnel, the sounds were incredible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rowing club alongside the river. We see much excitement for the upcoming Olympics this summer in Paris.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some photos of houses and buildings that we wanted to share of this historic city.

And just like magic, when we emerged from the tunnel, we were in Verdun!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liked this special gate on the lower level to give entrance by boat through the gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0

  

A magnificent home built with half timber and brick.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A church with the Manse attached.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Meuse Canal in the city centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Verdun, at first glance, is a beautiful city. There is great care taken to honour the sacrifices and impact of the wars it has endured, particularly the Battle of Verdun. The grounds of military sites and areas of significance are kept immaculate and are open to all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This 5 star hotel, Les Jardins du Mess, in the centre of town by the canal looks grand and elegant. Perhaps next time?!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tourist Info was great…very helpful and lots of books and brochures about Verdun. When you enter, you are greeted by this display featuring traditional dress. The dress and accessories have been beautifully made.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have been riding with dark heavy clouds for a few days. While in the tourist office, we could hear the pounding rain when it began quickly followed with a thunderstorm. We’ll wait this out in the Tourist Office.
Heart 1 Comment 0
“On ne pass pas” Statue. It translates, “they shall not pass”. This slogan was most notably used by France in World War I, to express a determination to defend a position against an enemy. The widespread use of the slogan originates from the 1916 Battle of Verdun in the First World War when French Army General Robert Nivelle urged his troops not to let the enemy pass.The simplified slogan of "they shall not pass" appeared on propaganda posters and for other battles, but its significance is closely tied to the Battle of Verdun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Five Defenders of Verdun… It is comprised of five statues – a cavalryman, an engineer, an infantryman ("poilu"), an artilleryman, and a reservist. They form a human wall symbolizing the motto of the city – "They will not pass." We found this quite moving. Originally it was erected to honour the soldiers who defended France in WW1, but with WW2 such a short time later, it also honoured those who fought and defended during the 2nd World War.
Heart 2 Comment 0
La Porte Chaussee. This fortified gatehouse served as the official entry to the city since its construction in the 14th Century, as part of the Grand Rampart which surrounded Verdun in the Middle Ages. The gatehouse was offered to the city by Wautrec, a rich citizen who was an alderman. It symbolised the new status of Verdun which was made an “imperial free city” in 1374. By this the city was obliged to maintain its own ramparts and to look to its own defence in the case of an attack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Verdun’s city centre on the Canal is beautiful. This small city of 18000 people feels larger than it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue represents a wounded warrior supported by a wing victory. Created by Rodin in 1879 to commemorate the resistance of the Parisians, it was considered too violent for the time and it was not erected. But in 1916, the Netherlands government created a bronze copy and offered it to the city of Verdun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue celebrates the sacrifices and the untold dedication of women who were left to tend the farms, raise and support their families on their own, support their injured husbands when they returned home (if they returned) - all and more of which their sacrifice helped the war effort.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We feasted on some French specialties from a Charcuterie for dinner. House made terrine, meat salad, cheese and salads. Very good.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 753 km (468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0