Our tandem has broken down - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2024

Our tandem has broken down

Stranded in Maastricht

We visited the TMN Bike Shop to see if they could fix our bike. Initially we were worried as it didn’t look like he would take it on. But, when he  inspected our bike he agreed to do it.  Today is Saturday, the shop is closed Sunday and Monday, and the earliest he can take it is Tuesday and it will not be available to us until Friday. Not ideal, but we are relieved. So, we will stay in Maastricht until Tuesday and figure out what we will due next week. Perhaps we could take a train for a 3 day getaway somewhere. Some planning and research to do. 

We are not going to have breakfast while staying at the Novotel Hotel They charge 24 euros ($35 Cdn) per person. But judging from the size of the containers with the chocolate sprinkles, the buffet is probably on the massive scale. Instead we will have our own muesli, fruit and yoghurt in our room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I watched as two large men pulled up to the grocery store riding on this one bike. The improvised rear seat is built for comfort
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are seeing more and more herds of hippos in this area of Maastricht.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don’t get too close Barry! Hippos are unpredictable creatures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped for lunch at a restaurant that looked like an A+W. Same colours and we saw the word, “Mamas” emblazoned on the windows. Thinking that we could get a Mama burger we went in. To our surprise or relief, it was not an A&W, but a Dutch eatery named Mama’s. Among other things we shared an order of frites with mayonnaise. Dutch people prefer their fries with mayonnaise instead of ketchup.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretTheir mayonnaise is far superior to USA.. Remia brand frites sauce is simply mouth watering! :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Not an A&W
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretLooks like a landing pad atop the building for a spacecraft! Beam in, Scotty :) FUN!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
FeverTree tonic is our favourite brand if we have a G&T. The owner at Mama's concurs…he says, if you can’t have FeverTree you should have your gin neat. Didn’t realize FeverTree originates from Belgium. FeverTree appreciates his support and they provided his restaurant with FeverTree furniture.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretFever Tree has a new flavor! It is Lemon Tonic water with Sicilian lemons and quinine. Very good!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Cycling infrastructure in Holland is exceptional. Riders here are taught from an early age how to ride responsibly and harmony between riders (and cars) is a given.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The brick building is the Maastricht Train Station. It is a lovely example of architecture of the turn of the century.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Keep your distance…these people are in training to take their motorized Sagways to the streets of Maastricht. We are happy to stick with bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aon de Stasie is a very large bikeshop that also has a booming bike rental business. They are situated beside the train station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The train station, originally a wooden structure has been located here since the mid 1800’s. This building was built in the early 1900’s and was recently restored over 2 1/2 years to its former glory. The extensive tile work..the Mosa floor and wall tiles shave been restored.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful stained glass makes for a pretty and interesting space.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Karen PoretNoted the WELKOM in lower half stained glass piece.. :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettGood eye Karen. I missed that. Now I am trying to figure out what it says on the left one. Any thoughts?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting to see stained glass windows in a train station! :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tile feature is a commemorative mural from 1939, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the railway in the Netherlands.
Heart 2 Comment 0
When you enter the station you can hear the sound of this piano being played. This grand piano is quite lovely and free for anyone to play creating ambience and a welcoming sound.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Note the middle ramp for bikes and wheelchairs to have easy access to the Station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Designated bike path and traffic lights for cyclists. We love the harmonious relationship between bikes and vehicles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Maas River (known as the Meuse in Belgium and France) runs through Maastricht
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ridder Beer has been the Maastritch brew since the mid 1800’s. It has recently been purchased by Heineken, as is the way of so many small breweries in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many live aboard boats along the Maas/Meuse River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Riverboat Cruise ship coming through. Unless the rivers get higher, it should be a good season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the oldest bridge in Maastricht.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A mom on her family bike (cargo area can hold kids and their scooters) and her kiddies alongside. Mom is giving a comforting hand to the younger daughter on her bike.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Seavo had his own room inside the hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In another context, this could be a crime scene, but Seavo is quite happy here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry went out to get dinner from a nearby Albert Heijn grocery store. He got himself turned around and he asked an older couple if he was going in the right direction. The fellow said that the store was closed but I could go to a different branch of the store. He said hop in I’ll drive you there. Wow! On the way there we were talking about how great cycling is in Holland. He said they normally cycle, but they had to take their car as they were taking his 93 year old father to a party. Interesting tho, he said that on a daily basis his father at 93 continues to ride daily on his non electric bike.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dutch people love to decorate their bikes with flowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Novotel Maastricht is our home for 4 nights as we wait for the bike shop to have an opening to work on our bike. After our wee ride around Maastritch today, we have decided to let Seavo rest. We will be walking, not riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierIf you get bored with Maastricht, I suggest a day trip to Aachen. It's a lovely town. Cologne isn't far away by train either. The open-air museum in Bokrijk, Belgium is doable in a day, too. That would require a train/bus trip though.

Let's hope your trusty bike comes out of the shop as good as new!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago