Ooltgensplaat to Piershil - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

Ooltgensplaat to Piershil

We have struggled a bit with doing the route we had planned  to do since staying in Hertogenbosch. It is  frustrating that accommodation prices have really shot up….most likely because we are closer to bigger cities and also due to the coming summer season.  The other problem is there are fewer Vrienden op de Fiets hosts in the areas where we are looking.  So for a complete change of routine, we are no longer trying to find accomodation that fits our route, instead we are looking at accomodation that suits us and then we make up a route.  The reason this works so well for us is that we love most anywhere we go in Holland, so why feel tied to a route. 

Originally we had planned to go to Dordrecht but it didn’t work out. As we did more research we rethought our priorities and realized that smaller communities off the beaten track suit us best. And that is how we discovered Ooltgensplaat. 

We discovered a special place in visiting Ooltgensplaat as it seems that it is generally not on the route of foreign travellers. The ceramic murals pictured here are on the wall at the harbour which is directly in front of where we stayed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have a terrace at the back where we can enjoy the garden and the canal which runs alongside.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretSo enjoyable !
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettWould have liked more time time there…a special place, but such is travel.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
This is our living space at the Vrienden op de Fiets where we are staying. There is also a well equipped full kitchen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town hall in Ooltgensplaat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This porcelain mural sums up some of the aspects of life here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our plan is to take a ferry half way up the island to get back to the mainland of Holland. It would be closer to return via the bridge, but we want to explore more of the island.

A

What lovely haircuts these two have had. Looking good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have gone for a ride on the island and found some windmills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love seeing these windmills dating back a few centuries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a hot day. (30 c.) These smart cows are beating the heat by standing knee deep in the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wow! On the positive side, you would never lose your motorhome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
School is out for the summer holidays and local island lads are out for a ride on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived at the “ferry terminal” but it doesn’t look promising. We haven’t been able to find any info about the ferry online. We just noticed that it doesn’t run until July and chances are our bike would not be welcome anyway. Guess that means we have to backtrack and take the bridge after all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The area where we had hoped to take the ferry is jam packed with local kids swimming and jumping/diving off the pier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We headed to a town on the island to look for some food.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretNot CAR 54…but b 54.;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
And thankfully, we came upon a bike store. We have been increasingly concerned about the wear on the front tire. It may be a challenge finding the size of tire we need. We love bike shops that recognize that we are on a trip and will help us right away. Peter the owner and his mechanic were very eager to help us. In no time at all they had mounted a new tire for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bike shop was great. At first Peter had trouble finding a 26” tire that was suitable. Many of the bikes here use larger wheels. And then, he found a 26” Schwalbe tire designed for a cargo bike…and he suggested that we get the Schwalbe Pick Up.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretThe little toy atop left with girl on bike is adorable!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks Karen. We were so busy chatting with him that we missed her. Good eye!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The owner of the shop is testing a bike that needs repairs. He proudly showed us the new sign above the front door which was designed by his son.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This robust heavy tire is something we would not normally consider. We usually ride with Schwalbe Marathon on the front and Schwalbe Mondial on the rear. Nonetheless, we are very happy with this tire. It is tough and able to manage the load of our bike and the cobbles.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI haven't heard of the Schwalbe Pick-Up tire!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Discovered another windmill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wild horses grazing .
Heart 1 Comment 0
Like the cattle, horses have the good sense to head to the water to cool down and have a drink, alongside the ducks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have reached our destination and are greeted by this well dressed deer. It has been another good day of riding and exploring new parts of Holland.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretThank you for taking us along! Hope it will cool off for you to enjoy it better!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettGlad to have you along for the ride.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,743 km (1,082 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0