Mehring to Oberbillig - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2024

Mehring to Oberbillig


We arrived at our guesthouse yesterday afternoon, wet and muddy. We put Seavo in the garage. Our pannier rain covers and Mary Ellen’s much loved Arc’teryx rain pants were left hanging to dry on our tandem in the safety of the guesthouse garage. After breakfast when we were getting our rain gear on Mary Ellen discovered that her rain pants were missing. We searched everywhere and couldn’t find them anywhere. It is a real mystery as all the other guests were cyclists and most were taller than Barry. We will have to make a stop in Trier and look for new rain pants as the forecast for several days is for rain.

Speaking of the weather, we awoke this morning to a severe weather warning that overnight and tomorrow there will be a heavy rain alert with risk of danger for flooding or damage. We had already booked one night at a guesthouse for tonight  in Oberbillig. Realizing that we wouldn’t want/or be able to ride tomorrow, we were able to secure a 2nd night. Whew.  Now, Mary Ellen definitely needs rain pants.

The view of the Mosel from the bridge at Mehring
Heart 3 Comment 0
The town of Mehring …… Mary Ellen’s rain pants could still be somewhere there. You can’t put AirTags on everything
Heart 1 Comment 0
It rained all night and the forecast is for rain in the late afternoon. The next week will be challenging as well, since most days call for heavy rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have arrived in Trier. The last time we were here the temperature was over 100 F. Thanks Trier, the rain has eased off for now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Porta Nigra is a large Roman gate. It was built in 170 AD. Napoleon ordered its reconstruction in 1804. Air pollution, particularly exhaust fumes of passing cars, continues to darken and damage its stones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Porta Nigra the “black gate” is the only one of the four original city gates still standing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Trier is Germany’s oldest city. Known as “Rome of the North”.  Trier served as the key city of the Roman northern territories.

Heart 1 Comment 0
As we wandered off to explore the area we felt that Seavo was in safe hands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This statue of Karl Marx was unveiled to commemorate 200 years since his birth. Marx spent the first 17 years of his life in Trier. The 14 foot bronze sculpture was a gift from China.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Germany is constantly finding ways to lower their carbon footprint
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hauptmarkt is the city’s true centre. It is a lively , colourful marketplace. The place was packed with excited teenagers on school trips. There are many pedestrian streets branching off in various directions.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St.Peter’s Cathedral is the oldest in all of Germany. It is built on the foundation of a Roman building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clock tower on St. Peter’s Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou do not know at what hour the Lord will come.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The church in the rear is the Church of St. Gangolf. He was a rich knight who renounced much of his wealth and became a hermit. His wife was not supportive of his choice and eventually had an affair with a priest. She and her lover eventually killed Gangolf. He is now the Patron Saint of unhappily married husbands.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting (though sad) story about Gangolf!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
From the end of March until the end of November, the wine stall at the Hauptmarkt is a great meeting place for locals and visitors. Each week a different winery from Trier and the surrounding region showcases their best wines..
Heart 1 Comment 0

Below are some pictures of a delightful fountain, called St. Peter’s Fountain in the Haupmarkt which served as Trier’s main market place since medieval times.

The 4 women around the bottom of the statue represent the 4 cardinal virtues of justice, fortitude, temperance and prudence.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This crow was determined to be part of the narrative of this fountain. It amused me that the fellow whom he is sitting on, appears to be talking to him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crow continues to take up residence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Knight on the corner of the Die Steipe House, a 15th century Tower House.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Die Stiepe House.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This quirky little red car tells you that you have arrived at the Trier Toy Museum, the home of 5,000 toys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our destination in Trier… Globetrotter, is an outdoor store similar to MEC in Canada and REI in the US. There are a few Globetrotter stores scattered around Germany. Their flagship store in Cologne is amazing and well worth a visit for serious gearhounds. The focus for todays visit is to replace Mary Ellen’s missing rain pants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The manager of the store welcomed us into the store and said bring your tandem inside rather leaving it outside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We see these orange Ortlieb Globetrotter panniers on touring bikes all over Germany
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks to these two, we were successful in finding new rain pants for Mary Ellen. Dominic and Patty, you are amazing! And yes Patty, we will hopefully cross the Moselle and visit Luxembourg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards seem to be behind us but the Moselle is still a pretty ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leslie, our friend and personal trainer on Saltspring Island, loves Snoopy and the gang. This one’s for you Les!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain brought this beauty out
Heart 4 Comment 2
Looking across the Moselle to Luxembourg at sunset
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of the residents of Overbillig
Heart 4 Comment 0
While we were in our room at the guesthouse we heard loud scraping sounds coming from upstairs and then we heard “such sweet thunder” booming. Upon further inspection we discovered the local orchestra rehearsing.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretBetter than the real thunder I had to endure today while riding in the Netherlands near Gorinchem :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 412 km (256 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonLoved your pictures of Trier. We (my husband and I with two other from CycleBlaze) will be in Trier in about ten days on a short tour starting in Metz. We'll keep a lookout for you on your tandem but I am sure you will be quite a distance from there when we set out.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonMaybe you’ll find Mary Ellen’s rain legs ;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago