If It’s Tuesday, This must be Belgium! - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2024

If It’s Tuesday, This must be Belgium!

Profondeville to Huy

We couldn’t resist attaching this poster of the film, If It’s Tuesday, This Must be Belgium.  After all, it is Tuesday and we are in Belgium. We had fun reminiscing about this film that we both enjoyed when we were kids. In the 60’s when the film was made, organized trips like this were so popular. Imagine, 9 countries in 18 days!

Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretHow Fun! I did the same thing last week! Only a few people understood this as most on the cycle group are much younger..;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettGood to have someone who understands our context. Hope you had a good ride.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We have had the good fortune of finding locally owned guesthouses that offer true hospitality and a special experience. We stayed at L'Escale Chambre d'hôte in Profondeville, which is owned and run by a young woman. When we arrived she didn't hesitate to welcome Seavo in to her small foyer. We were blown away by the amenities she included...a coffee maker (with lots of coffee), a frig full of items like milk, juice, cheeses, jam, yogurt, sweet treats, etc. She simply said, "it's for you and free, eat what you like". As well, in the morning she left a basket at our door with fresh bread from the bakery and boiled eggs courtesy of her chickens.

We are loving our stay at L’Escale. Compared to our usual self catered breakfast, this feels like a buffet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have a generous sized bedroom and bathroom. It is amazing that a moderately priced guesthouse can offer so much more than other accommodation which costs more. Her generosity as a host included an impressive selection of toiletries, new toothbrushes etc. If you needed something, it was there for you.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view of the quiet village street of Profondeville in front of our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo had a good night too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The exterior of our Chambre d’hôte. Our room is on the right second level with the window ajar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Profondeville has it all…even a bike shop. We’ll check it out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is a happy guy. The shop had one pair of cycling gloves that fit him and he took them. Somehow we lost one of his gloves. The woman in the shop was pleased but surprised that he was okay with these somewhat fluorescent orange/pink colour. Looking good Barry!
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltColor match too! (almost, but close enough for me)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretThe orange color is perfect for when you reach The Netherlands!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, Barry lives for this!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltAny kind of bike gloves is better than riding with NONE! :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The beautiful Ardenne cliffs continue to impress us as we follow the river Meuse. Next town is Namur in 11 km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes you have to pinch yourself and not take for granted the incredible riding in Europethat is so good with amazing infrastructure. Even though riding at home has improved dramatically, we will miss these dedicated cycling routes that cover incredible distances.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Strawberries are in season and they are delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wow, we are finally having a sunny and warm day. Can’t remember when we last didn’t need rain pants and rain jackets. Love it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This cat was firmly standing its ground, refusing to be intimidated by these strange foreigners on a strange bike. A beauty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roosters are important characters in this area. The Wallonia Flag is a sub national flag in Belgium that represents the Walloon region and the French community. Designed in 1913, the flag depicts a red rooster on a yellow field. It is an image we see frequently in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Walloon region is one of the three regions of Belgium along with Flanders and Brussels.  Covering the southern region of Belgium, Wallonia is primarily French speaking.

A live aboard ship which is now landlocked, complete with a heat pump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see so many grand old buildings like this. Can’t imagine what the upkeep must be like. We are not sure where the name Chateaux Dave came from.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Namur, the capital of Wallonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enter many towns with a fortress at the top of the cliff and a bridge with a similar design.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This interesting statue is in the centre of Namur .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The allium are gorgeous.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The poppies are so lovely in full bloom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These cuties live on this boat and were very curious about us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another family of Canada Geese….the parents are so protective and we got to see the fury of the male when we inadvertently got a bit too close.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not to be overshadowed with the massive population of Canada Geese in their area, Egyptian Geese also have young families. Love the colourful coat of their goslings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering the town of Huy where we will stay tonight. The Fort has a storied history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a fitting way to finish our journal today. We have seen so many wonderful animals today…cats, dogs, geese etc. This cat is a beauty…no fear or shyness, just curious and interested.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,115 km (692 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0