Herpen to Hertogenbosch - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

Herpen to Hertogenbosch


Will start with a nod to the Dutch organization, Vrienden op de Fiets. It costs just 10€ per year to join and it gives you access to the vast network of hosts around the world, with most of them located  in Holland ( over 5,000  are here). Not only do you get reasonably priced accomodation (25€ per person for your accomodation including breakfast), you can be confident that there is a safe place for your bike, breakfast will be nutritious to fuel you for a day of riding and you meet hospitable like minded people who love cycling. We discovered that there are 2 in British Columbia and they are both a nice bike ride from our home.  Perhaps a short tour from home this summer.

Both of our hosts have interesting hobbies ..he does incredible woodwork and she is a painter. She drew the model for the house that he is presently creating in his workshop.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Jo has an amazing workshop in the garage. We thought of Barry’s dad and his brother Lewis as they would have enjoyed chatting with Jo about their shared passions..

Jo and Elly have been outstanding hosts. It is remarkable how well you can visit with people who speak a different language. Somehow it works. Their son also has artistic talent and as a “hobby” he makes metal sculptures. He made this metal cyclist for his parents to have at their front door. The details he has incorporated and his ingenuity are incredible.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This guy at the front door speaks of the pride Jo and Elly have in being hosts to cyclists. What an incredible piece of work this is. When we arrived we stopped at the wrong house as we were confused about the street name. No problem though, as the fellow said, “you want the house with the metal bike at the front door”
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today, there is an event nearby honouring the 75th Anniversary of D Day. We are seeing many examples of jeeps and army vehicles from former times driving by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Holland was seized and occupied by German Forces early in the war. Today, residents remember the sacrifices of the Allied Forces in liberating their country and are quick to express their thanks for the efforts of Canadian, American and British soldiers who came to their aid.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A typical Dutch scene: brick homes, 3 to 4 storeys tall, sharing exterior walls with cobble and brick streets in front.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grains ground at the windmill are used in making these mixes. Profits go back into supporting the maintenance of the windmill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This plaque inside the windmill celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2007.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The brewery at the windmill celebrating its history.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped by to see the windmill and had coffee and bitterballballs…delicious! The dips are mustard and mayonnaise. Bitter balls have a cornmeal crust and have a yummy beef filling. These are also made in a croquette shape. Highly recommend them.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretBitterballen! MY FAVORITE DUTCH food! :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettIt’s the best!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
One of the brewmasters at the windmill is an avid cyclist. We shared stories of cycling adventures and he told us about some wonderful places to cycle in the Netherlands and Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice thing about windmills is that you can see them from a distance. In the countryside, the height of a windmill ensures that you will find it. We were cycling along the river when we saw this and made a detour. Always worth the change of diretion, especially when Bitterballs are involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Never tire of seeing reed roofs. So many farmhouses and the attached barn have this type of roof.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretThey last a long time even if they are an expense…50 years is the average!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The Dutch are masters at managing water…throughout the countryside are dykes bordering fields which provide irrigation and bodies of water like this. We have heard that the Dutch are often consultants when dealing with flooding and how to avoid it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barns deserve to be attractive as well. These working barns have windows freshly painted and are well maintained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another typical sight is the planting of trees along the country road creating a windbreak and shelter from the sun. Usually there is a separate bike lane below to the side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many windmills. We commend the tireless work of volunteers who are often the force behind keeping these historic treasures running or open to tours.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is stork season and these parents have hungry youngsters to feed. Somehow I think that the birds looking on from the side won’t be fed, as much as they’d like to be.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A family discussion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like barns which are attractively maintained with doors and window shutters painted with a high gloss paint in a rich colour, this fire hall follows the same standard.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretLove the fireman ( brandweer) hydrant out front! Clever!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
A nice detail…the fire hydrant at the fire hall has been painted to resemble a fire fighter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the countless car/bike ferries along the river. On a hot day it is great to be on the water, even briefly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even tractors need the ferry at times.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Coming off the ferry we could see this dog show taking place ahead of us. Of course, we stopped briefly to take a look.  And why not…happy, excited dogs are always interesting to watch.

Two dogs are presented at a time to the judges. Some of them had difficulty containing their excitement, but most were doing well, like these two. Meanwhile, behind the scenes are countless Landseer dogs running around having fun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good job, proudly strutting his stuff with his tail wagging in time with their pace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Landseer dog originates in Canada. It is a black and white variety of the Newfoundland dog. It is recognized as a unique breed in Europe and the male averages about 150 lbs. When we first stopped to look, we thought they looked like St. Bernard’s but the colouring threw us off. I guess, “if it looks like a St, Bernard, then it must be a St. Bernard!”
Heart 0 Comment 0
A proud cormorant, seizing the moment, and air drying its wings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A happy dog out for a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have crossed the River Maas and as usually is the case, we have passed into a different region…Gelderland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another stork nest…what a beauty this devoted parent this stork is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An impressive reed roof with skylights built in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching g a grouping of float homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A farmhouse on the land side of the dyke, protected from the water. It looks like they are a dairy farm with Holstein cows, judging by the weathervane on the roof.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretYou can get whiplash trying to look at all of the different weather vanes on a bicycle! They are so fun!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
This has been a day of many short ferry rides. The man in the wheelchair has a skookum set up with an e-motor, gears etc. His wife has her bike and he has independence with his wheelchair.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Have house, with a motor, will travel. But where is the person driving this?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Without signage, we often see sculptures like this in the countryside. It works, as we always stop and admire them in wonder.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical scene on the route….always water with bird life, a wee bridge for walking across with the post box and a village in the distance. We will miss this when we go home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is impressive…the man who lives here is being honoured for his 50th birthday. I think it was a bit embarrassing for him, because while we were looking at it, he came home and we called out Happy Birthday. He quickly got into his house,
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the first recumbents we have seen this trip. This fellow is from Sweden and he is out for a solo tour on his German HP Grasshopper bike. We enjoyed visiting with him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then for something completely different. These two Dutch ladies are out for a ride on their version of a tandem bike
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sight like this certainly stops traffic in both directions. This Canada Goose family were a challenge for the parents to corral them into moving in one direction. Eventually they all came together.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As you can imagine, following rivers and in Holland, also following the dykes, bird life is a big part of what we see. Canada Geese, Egyptian Geese, swans, to name a few.

A fitting end to a wonderful day of cycling in Holland, to see an orange (Holland's official colour) hot air balloon overhead.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,521 km (945 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0