Exploring Nancy, the capital of the Lorraine district - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2024

Exploring Nancy, the capital of the Lorraine district

We have spent two days in Nancy at the Adagio Aparthotel. Yesterday the weather was rainy so it was a good decision to stay. We have really enjoyed exploring the French cities that we have visited so far, like Thionville and Metz, but Nancy is on another level. We spent much of the day meandering through the city of Nancy, taking in the historic sights and appreciating what it offers.  Wow, talk about a city with bling… “baroque gone balmy”. 

Nancy is known for its late baroque and art nouveau landmarks, dating to its days as the former capital as the Duchy of Lorraine

The Adagio Aparthotel is a good find for us. Offering a spacious suite with a kitchenette, laundry facilities, a designated locked area inside for bikes and an affordable price tick all our boxes. We will certainly stay in one of these again
Heart 0 Comment 0
A must see place to see in Nancy is the 18th century Place Stanislas, built between 1752 and 1756. This grand square, decorated with gilded wrought iron gates and rococo fountains is a huge open area with cafes, historic buildings and a park in or by the square. It is truly a beloved place filled with locals and visitors who gather here to have coffee, visit and just enjoy the space.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the square is a statue of Stanislas, Duke of Lorraine in 1831. He built the city of Nancy, the capital of Lorraine, and he decided to connect the old and new towns of Nancy which had been separated by marshland. He built this Royal Sauare in honour ofhis son-law Louis XV. It was renamed Place Stanislas in 1831 when the city erected a statue in his honour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This street light shows an example of the baroque style of embellishing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This gate, The Triumphal Arch, is one of the entrances to Stanislas Square.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first French baguette sandwiches. Very tasty. We went to a bakery at the edge of the Square and ate inside their charming cafe.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretThat would last me two days !
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Barry BartlettIndeed it should. But we couldn’t help ourselves!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Wandering these narrow streets which lead away from the square in many directions is a wonderful way to discover the treats of the city. Pattiseries, restaurants, bakeries, shops of every description, churches and museums…it was fascinating and charming..
Heart 0 Comment 0
The quality of French pastries is excellent - there is nothing like a French patisserie and at a surprisingly affordable price.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was hard to choose from the amazing pastries at this patisserie. They make their own chocolates as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We loved our selection…the lemon tart was amazing. We liked that each pastry has two of their house made, solid chocolate pieces.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretMore feast for the eyes to the waist :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Barry BartlettSo right you are.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
This is a first….a manhole cover featuring the town’s Musee des Beaux Arts.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jacques Callot, a resident of Nancy from the 16th century, was a baroque printmaker and draft master. He did more than 1400 etchings that chronicled the life of this period in Nancy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking through this arch into the Square, you can see the Hotel de Ville…City Hall which occupies the complete south side of Stanislas Square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nancy Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately, Nancy Cathedral was closed today, so we could only admire its exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free book kiosks are very popular throughout France.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretWhat a huge difference from “our” little free libraries in the USA !
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
This fountain honours the life of Rene II of the 15th century who was a Duke of Lorraine. He was most famous for defeating and killing Charles the Bold of Burgundy at the battle of Nancy in 1477, thus ending the Burgundian Wars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Museum of Lorraine
Heart 0 Comment 0
An impressive entrance to the Museum of Lorraine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found this detail on the Museum of Lorraine amusing of these fellows who seemed to be suffering holding up the shelf
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Church of the Cordeliers is named after the Franciscan Order. It was built in the 15th century by order of Duke Rene II following the Battle of Nancy. It is part of the Lorraine Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Church of the Cordeliers looks simple from the exterior but is well worth entering to see several interesting tombs, artwork and artifacts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior of the Cordeliers Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The large 20th century rose window depicts the Coat of Arms of the Dukes of Lorraine. It casts a dynamic glow over the interior of the church.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBoy, that red in the stained glass windows really stands out! :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seating for the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Nave with choir seating was quite beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ducal Chapel in the Church of the Cordeliers was inspired by the Medicis in Florence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The original gravestone of Philipa, Duchess of Lorraine?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Philippe, The Duchess of Lorraine’s tomb effigy is an iconic sculptural piece from the 16th century. She is depicted in her Clarissa Habit having become a Nun when her husband Rene II died. She was given a modest burial at the Convent, but her descendants commissioned the sculptor Ligier Richie’s to create her monument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This 3-D piece is one of four panels depicting key events in the life of Jesus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Henry III and Isabel of Lorraine, dated from 1347.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Cordeliers Church was damaged during the French Revolution. The Royal Tombatones were desecrated and it wasn’t until 1826 that the Lorraine Royal Families remains were returned to the crypt. We spent much time here…so much to take in and understand. It is part of the Museum of Lorraine but was free to enter.

This wonderful bookstore featuring collectibles and old books was a treasure trove.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The quintessential image of a Boulangerie Patisserie with the living quarters above with shutters of the windows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Charcuteries….the quality of the meat and cheeses here is incredible. French people love good food and like to support these small businesses for the quality.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This lovely edifice is one of the city gates.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The interior of the city gate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The exterior of the City Gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bakery, known for its bread, was excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We needed coffee and this bakery, specializing in baguettes and bread was great. We shared a cinnamon raisin bun and a caramel bun. Yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Somehow, dogs sense that Barry is their fan and a soft touch. We were sitting having our coffee and sharing the sweet buns. This dog would not take his eyes off Barry, yearning for a taste.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bakery where we had coffee had a line up outside the door with customers buying bread at the end of their workday. Note the bags of baguettes etc. which had been preordered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All done,,,just some crumbs left over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
France is very serious about keeping her citizens safe and take strong measures in having a strongly armed police force on foot patrol in the cities. Initially we were taken aback by this sight, but in reading about the struggles, we understand why we are seeing them.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, the police are patrolling with MACHINE GUNS?! That's definitely serious.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove getting crepes at cafes in France! :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
This fountain is built on the site of the Duke of Lorraine’s former kitchen garden. The unusual fountain has three bearded old men representing three rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the bearded old men
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gilded ornamentation is important for this period.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been walking for some time and are now heading back into Stanislas Square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at Stanislas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Opera House of Nancy is in Stanislas Square. We feel like kids looking in the window of a candy shop…what we would give to get inside one of these grand opera houses of Europe. One day we will time it right and see a performance or take a tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0