Dun-sur-Meuse to Stenay - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2024

Dun-sur-Meuse to Stenay

A short day of riding with half a motor

We have enjoyed our stay here at the Fasthotel in Dun-sur-Meuse. In most of our travels in France, we see that pets are welcome everywhere. We enjoyed the two dogs who were staying in the hotel. It felt homey to see dogs sitting quietly with their family at breakfast.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sadly, we are becoming pros at using the postal service in foreign countries. It is a good system but not for the faint of heart. We were pretty organized having taken photos of each item we are mailing as we know that International shipping requires a detailed itemized list with description, weight and value. Nonetheless, despite the incredible help we received from the staff, we were there over two hours. When finished, it feels like you have been “through the mill”.

The manager at the Postal Office took us under our wing. We were so grateful for her help and common sense. She input each item online for us. We greatly appreciate the time and energy given to us by both of the women who work at the post ofrice.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesAny time we have done mailbacks we just write "used personal items" and assign a global, low end value of under 50 dollars. It has worked every time with no difficulties.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Oh dear, the box sizes are smaller than we thought they would be. We will need two boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are indebted to these two women at the Post Office for their efficiency and great sense of humour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Job done - thanks ladies. It is now lunch or as you say,,“aperitif time” for you. Enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was like magic. Somehow we were able to pay, sign the documents and pay just as the closing time for lunch arrived. In France, most businesses close at noon for about 2 hours to give staff time to eat, perhaps enjoy an aperitif and relax. Thank goodness, we didn’t have to continue after lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice that people have TWO HOURS for lunch in France! :) They should make that the normal for the U.S.!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
WW1 had such an impact on this area. Each village has commemorative statues and plaques honouring the fallen soldiers. This square is by the river in Don-sun-Meuse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A

We enjoyed sandwiches from the bakery, sitting in the park by the river before we headed out. It will be a short day of riding.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our lunch spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bridge was an important place during WW1. It was destroyed and the Engineers of American troops were successful in building a temporary replacement for this strategic spot.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretHow poignant to read this the day after Memorial Day.. thank you!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The River Meuse at Don-sur-Meuse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A village church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the road from the church is this village school which is pockmarked from bullets during the War.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of a stone building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village life…this is typical of the houses in this area which are connected wall to wall with their neighbours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snapped this photo quickly as we rode by when we realized it is a Dojo. Thought of Leslie and Chris when we saw this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This magnificent church in the countryside of Mont-decant-Sassey is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the district of Lorraine. Dating back from 1127, it features Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A small chapel at the corner of the field
Heart 1 Comment 0
As you can see, its interior tells a story of the times it has endured. Somehow, despite the damage, it is still standing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We never tire of the lush rural countryside of this area of France. Barry and Seavo (minus the panniers) are waiting for me to take some photos. So far, the motor works much of the time when we leave it in the lowest power level. With the load of 2 people and our gear, it is hard to tell if we even have a motor some of the time. But by conserving the load on the motor, we are hoping that it will get us there, albeit slowly.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This large group of sheep were not too pleased with our presence. The whole group of them strode quickly away to the end of the field. Oops, sorry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s ok mama, we will keep our distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It has been a very cold May here and the clouds are constantly with us, threatening rain. The cows seem very contented and not threatened by us. Perhaps it is because we are trying to speak to them in French.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short day of riding and we are now in Stenay where we are staying for two days. Pictured is the Hotel de Ville….CityHall
Heart 1 Comment 0
Liked the devilish likeness on the town crest on the Hotel de Ville tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had just sat down to have a treat from the bakery when this group of French riders zoomed over to chat and check us out. They were intrigued by our strange bike and they were devastated for us that our motor is not working. Oh well, almost 1000 km to go..we’ll be fine but slower than usual.
Heart 3 Comment 0
They were a nice group and seemed happy that we were touring in their country.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretI just noticed you have a Friesland sticker on your bike! ❤️
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
At the city square in Stenay. Thanks to our French friends for taking our photo.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesReally nice photo!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Barry had a vanilla eclair…so rich and tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen tried this local specialty….we couldn’t understand the description but it was delicious, and oh so sweet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is what Barry looks like when he is sugared up!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are staying here for 2 nights at Moulin le Cygne in the small village of Stenay. It is an 18th century mill that has been renovated and fixed up from much decay by the current owner. He has created five small,apartments. Wow, it is beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the road is the Beer Museum, the largest in Europe and highly renowned. We will visit it tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a restaurant that is connected to where we are staying.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI always like the lace in the windows. :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The view from our suite at the front. We have a spacious living room and kitchen, a lovely bedroom and deep window sills to sit on and look at the view. Our bedroom overlooks a huge garden at the back with fig trees and flowers. Lovely.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretEnjoy! Looks lovely! Hoping for no rain..or less of an impact, for all of us visiting here in Europe, anyway!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 841 km (522 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0