Back up the Lahn River - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2024

Back up the Lahn River

Our feelings about our stay at Hotel Aria Stube in Urbar are complicated. On a positive note, we were happy to find a hotel that was relatively reasonable considering the price hikes of this w/e, the family and staff were friendly and hospitable, breakfast was excellent. But unfortunately  our room was not so good. Our 11 sq. m room was not very functional or comfortable, the bed and linens had seen better days, the sole window was small and near the ceiling so no light came in, nor any air. The bathroom was pretty challenging as the narrow width of the bathroom made using the toilet an adventure. The shower had issues too.  It was disappointing that our room did not resemble the photo on the site. Regardless, it was the best we could find within our budget.

We are on our way to breakfast at our guesthouse. Much care has been taken to make the main areas very nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The weather for the holiday is sunny and warm. We have become spoiled riding along the Lahn River as the riding is pretty easy. However, getting to Urbar required a very steep ride from sea level on the Rhein to the heights of Urbar. Once again, due to our concerns about over-working our heavily loaded tandem, we decided that Mary Ellen would walk up the hill. It helped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An iconic statue in Koblenz, Deutsche Eck gazing over the Rhine and the Moselle Rivers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Koblenz and its location on the upper middle Rhine has UNESCO heritage status.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a holiday in Germany and the campgrounds are packed from Thursday to Sunday. We have camped here a few times on previous trips and it is always super busy and crowded.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd so interesting they are all white in color! How do you find yours??;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Lunch in Koblenz before we head back up the Lahn River..schnitzel and coleslaw on a fresh bun, and you’re right Karen…a good cup of coffee as well.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd coffee ;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We went into this massive bike shop to use their pump to pump up the tires on our trailer. Seavo loved riding through the store on the test track
Heart 3 Comment 0
This landscaped garden on the side of the new Super 8 Hotel is pretty impressive
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's different to have a landscaped garden on the side of the hotel!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The Forum shopping mall
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Koblenz Schloss ( palace) has lavish gardens and an impressive neoclassical design.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This statue of the fellow with his pants down sitting on a box is certainly eye catching.  We now understand that this figure symbolizes the nickname of the residents of  Lahnstein, “Baare”. Even in the Middle Ages, the inhabitants of the right side of the Lahn made great sacrifices in order to keep their well water clean. In absence of fresh spring water, the residents had to use ground water, so they had no latrines. To keep the groundwater clean, they used the Baare (wheelbarrow) as a toilet. In this way, the so called “Baareschesser” literally meaning “barrow shitters” were making an active contribution towards environmental protection hundreds of years ago.

Heart 3 Comment 0
We are heading up the Lahn River again. It has been a crazy trip as this is our second trip up the Lahn in the past week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our guesthouse is in the tiny village of Dausenau
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of the Lahn River from our hotel room
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view looking toward the medieval gate
Heart 2 Comment 0
The living history in this small town is incredible. Some structures date back to the 13th century, there are remnants of defensive towers….one still standing has a significant lean, hence its nickname, “the leaning tower of Dausenau”.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Incredible buildings of historic significance are throughout this village.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cigarette vending machine…a different kind of historic relic…at least it would be at home.mWe see these all over Germany, but we can’t recall the last time we saw one at home in Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretNor in California ( USA)…Thank goodness! Smokers are the bane of our European trips…
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Barry BartlettIndeed. Progress has been slow in this area. A good change is eating in a restaurant …we recall a time when eating out was pretty unpleasant due to the “wall” of smoke inside.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The river is busy with young people rowing down the Lahn in rented long boats. Each evening they stop at a campground for the night. It looks very relaxing as the river is high, the current is strong and it doesn’t take much to glide down the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another well preserved building in Dausenau.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Hotel where we are staying is situated in a beautiful area with great views of the countryside and is surrounded by much history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the view of Dachenau from the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Always good to find a free book library in a community. It is called the Book Worm’s library with a painting of a “bookworm” crawling over the back wall.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob KoreisSuch a wonderful repurposing of a phone booth!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We decided to take advantage of our hotel’s restaurant and had dinner, starting with some German beer.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rich FrasierBitburger Pils! I love that stuff!!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We both had a delicious Schnitzel, fries and a large salad at the guesthouse. It was the only thing the on menu tonight.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks like a great meal! :) :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 141 km (88 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0