Back to Maastritch to Pick Up Seavo - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2024

Back to Maastritch to Pick Up Seavo

Today we say farewell to our adventure in Valkenburg and hello again to Seavo, we hope. The road to getting Seavo fixed has not been straightforward nor easy. We are so grateful to Marcel, the owner/mechanic at TMN bikes for taking it on. His shop is busy and he is fitting in Seavo between scheduled jobs….which is why it is taking so long. 
It has been weird to tour without a bike the past few days, but it worked out well.  Our departure from Valkenburg  is also a farewell to the extraordinary hospitality we have received at the family run, Hotel Janssen.

We have consumed many breakfasts the past months on the road, but Hotel Janssen offers one of the best we’ve had. Excellent quality ingredients and beautifully presented.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have tried the Egg McMuffin, Pancakes, Yogurt and Banana Split. All good but our faves were the pancakes and the banana split.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry chose the Yogurt with granola and fruit and I had the pancakes again. Yum!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like anyplace that enjoys the British comedy series, Fawlty Towers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved this touch of humour on the Do Not Disturb sign. The Hotel had many touches of humour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The younger brown dog was very agitated trying to figure out the dog who is part of the art installation. It crouched down looking a bit puzzled, then started barking and trying to get a reaction
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then the older dog got involved too. It took some work for them to get their dogs to move on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A restaurant/pub on the canal in the centre of town with a Vintage Advertisement on the wall for the local beer, Leeuw’s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like the sense of humour that is on display in this town. This witch must have had trouble navigating and did a face plant into the tree. That’s got to hurt. The witch’s outfit has been created from old men’s ties
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretOld men’s ties? How do you know the men were old, Barry? :) But, yes, no one young wears ties anymore, or at all. Clever use for a new “tied up a-TIRE” or..tyre, or..oh, forget it. :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettVery funny-syntax is everything!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We walked to the train station and decided to take the bus as it was ready to head out. It was good as we saw different areas. And, best of all, when we got to Maastritch, the route took us by our bike shop…so we got off early and saved ourselves a long walk from the centre of town.  Our instincts were right to book another night in Maastricht. The mechanic had written us that he needed another day as the problems were worse than he thought, so we will head out Saturday late in the afternoon.

This is a shock…the old Rohloff sprocket is a mess with broken teeth and parts broken off. He can’t imagine how we rode it. The truth it that it was challenging. Progress was slow getting to Maastritch as we had to stay in a low gear, with little or no motor and keep a very light pressure on the pedals. On any incline, ME got off and walked. Thank goodness we have been on mostly flat terrain.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like carrying a spare might be a good thing!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettYou are right. The problem was our bike was scheduled for repairs Covid hit and we haven’t been back in 5 years. We considered all, we thought, Rohloff and chainrings and somehow didn’t bring Bafang sprocket…won’t do that again.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Love to see a shiny new sprocket on poor Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We walked back to the Novotel for our final stay and see that they are ready for the Euro Cup 2024.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0