2 Nights at Mosa Hotel Awaiting Parts for Seavo - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2024

2 Nights at Mosa Hotel Awaiting Parts for Seavo

We had a tough day yesterday getting here from Huy. It started well sightseeing in Huy, but it fell apart on the way to Liege.  W the trail deteriorated and was plagued with endless construction with challenging detours and poor signage. As the day went on, we could see that it had taken quite a toll on Seavo. As we approached the hotel, we had to keep the motor in its lowest setting, or off, and we could put the lightest of pressure on the pedals. To add pressure would cause the chain to come off or make a horrible sound. We  felt quite discouraged by the reality that we can’t ride very far nor strenuously until we find the bike  part  for the Bafang and a mechanic to help us.  

Facing the challenges of getting Seavo into riding shape for the last month of this trip, we reflected on how much we love our tandem, and why it is worth it to continue riding a tandem. We love our trikes but we also enjoy riding together for long distances and periods of time. Aren’t we lucky to have both.

We feel in tune with Seavo and each other when we ride. It is a lovely thing to feel in sync, and at one with your bike and receptive to each other’s rhythms and moods on both the good days and the bad days.  Having ridden Seavo for several years on countless trips, we were both surprised at how strange and difficult it felt to ride Seavo again after a 5 year break, thanks to Covid travel restrictions. We needed to get our bodies, leg muscles and brains into shape for the challenges of tandeming and the different riding position on Seavo.  It is funny, we went through the same thing when we initially rode our trikes.  Believe me, it is humbling to get on your tandem or trike, and realize that you may be strong but but there is much conditioning to be done before finding  the stamina needed. We also needed to get back into the headspace of being tandem riders and not single riders on trikes.  

Anyway, through all of the issues we have had, we both agree that Seavo is an important part of our travelling lives. We just won’t use Seavo on trips requiring plane travel. Seavo is best suited to riding at home and trips in Canada, perhaps even to Washington or Oregon states one day. 

Back to Seavo….We finally found a fellow online in Friesland Holland who deals in Bafang parts. Yeah! We contacted him and ordered two different chainrings to be certain we had the right one. He is sending them express delivery to our hotel which will take 1 or 2 days. We must stay put until they arrive. We’ll keep booking to extend our stay, as needed, one night at a time.

We received a notice from the hotel that tonight, Thursday, will be a challenge. It will be loud and noisy with techno-pop blaring until at least 3 in the morning, and of course whatever comes with a large crowd of very drunk people. Aren’t we lucky to have the room with an unobstructed view of the chaos.  Ear plugs it will be.  Ironically we have been so pleased with our room. It has a nice view of the River Meuse and has been so quiet!

We now understand why people who live in this area are putting tape across areas in front of their homes to prevent cars parking on their property. Already cars are lining both sides of the street, anlong the Meuse River, etc  and it is just getting started.

Our room had a balcony/escape space with steps to the ground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant next door in quieter times. We liked our view of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No music yet…starting slow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cars are arriving- it is hard to imagine where all the people will fit. Makes sense that they have added a stage and dancing area on the other side with psychedelic lights and
Heart 0 Comment 0

As predicted, the carnage lasted until 3:30 am. We tried to entertain ourselves by watching a movie on our ipad and then putting our heads undercover with ear plugs. It helped to drown out the music, but not the deep, loud thumping of the bass.

We feel badly for the woman who owns the hotel.  She  has tried to reason with them, but without luck. It seems that it is having an adverse effect on her business

Friday morning we checked out with the hope that our parcel would arrive. If not, we would book another night.  We can’t leave without the essential missing piece for Seavo. The Hotel let us stay  in the lobby and wait. As predicted, the parcel arrived at 4 pm. Okay, we are now off to Maastricht in Holland. Hopefully this city of bikes will have a mechanic who is willing and able to help us. The adventure continues.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0