Day 6: Moore to Lowood - Over the ditch - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2024

Day 6: Moore to Lowood

BVRT day 2

We wake to sunshine and no wind, the first timesince the wild weather hit the Gold Coast last weekend. Today's ride will be a long one and mostly in the open, so this is a mixed blessing. We also used up altitude in yesterday's glorious downhill run through the forest. You'd think we'd be keen to make a start. But no, we make a visit to a popular café just down the road instead. We wait and wait for too average, too hot coffee in too big takeaway cups . . and generally waste too much good biking time. Lesson possibly learnt.

A long day ahead, so why did we stop down the road for coffee?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally underway, we're riding through farmland all morning - exchanging baleful looks with numerous cattle beasts both on and off the trail. I'm not really enjoying the riding and dreading the kilometres to come; turns out though that we're climbing a long, gentle hill going into the small town of Harlin. Once crested, the experience becomes more enjoyable. But not for long. Leaving Harlin, we climb again, long and slow, and descend a little before more of the same. 

Now that we're in open farmland, the creek crossings are relatively flat. Our causeway is to the left of an original trestle bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

Toogoolawah  finally arrives, where a conscientious citizenry has concreted the rail trail as it goes through town,  mown the grass and  put in new plantings along our route. By way of thanks, we spread ourselves and our wet laundry out around the old train station and enjoy a picnic lunch.

The Nurinda mural project spent three years employing artists to paint two gigantic murals. This one is a Budd diesel railcar, one of two in service on the railway line from the 1950s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Open rural landscapes are a contrast to yesterday's bush ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These cattle-stop gates are fouud throughout the trail, so much better than the various styles we've struck in NZ.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More landscape . . .
Heart 1 Comment 0
. . . and Toogoolawah station laundry-and-lunch stop
Heart 2 Comment 0

Esk is our next destination. The endlessly undulating terrain on mostly gravel, sometimes rutted surface is taking a toll on my spirits so it's good to look forward to another bakery visit. The Esk Coffee Roasters doesn't disappoint. It's right on the trail and the perfect spot to recharge.  We're shoved outside with yet another dreaded takeaway cup as they are about to close, but no matter.

With 36km to our bed for the night and sensing my mood, Tour Leader decides to break the ride up with a series of mini-breaks. I'm happy with this and we set off. But wait . . . I feel great. I take the lead and bounce along the track (it's still rough) at speed. We're going downhill, of course. And because I wasn't expecting it, what bliss! We roll into Coominya 24km later for a brief rest then and continue in good spirits to the little town of Lowood. 

It's the evening before Anzac Day and the pub is doing good business. Our room is actually a motel unit behind the hotel, just a short walk to dinner  in the crowded pub restaurant.  It wasn't such a bad day after all.

The last word goes to today's exotic creature. Camels were imported from India in the 1840s to help with exploration of the continent's inland. They're now a pest species requiring careful management.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 279 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jill BrinsleyWell done. That’s a lot of kilometres . 👏
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Robyn RichardsIt was a long day, given the late start, but we still managed to arrive in Lowood by 4.30, thanks to that downhill ride!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago