To Walterboro - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2024

To Walterboro

Hmm, falling behind here again. I have 45 minutes to knock out this post before we start another long ride. Let's go...

Tuck in the Woods was a nice place to sleep away from the roar of the roads. Once we dispatched all the bugs that followed us into the tent, the mosquito hum coming from the pond made good white noise.

Sunny morning riding out of St. Helena Island, one of a chain of sea islands around Beaufort
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gullah culture is strong on the sea islands around here, where the people have preserved much of their African linguistic and cutural heritage.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Cheryl KellerInteresting ! I have never heard of the Gullah culture before. I googled it to learn more.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Janice BranhamI wish I had made time to dig into it more while we were there. We kinda rushed through the island
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Calm waters by the Beaufort Memorial Bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0

Barry has a broken spoke so I've located a couple of bike shops around Beaufort. Low Country Bikes doesn't have the right size spoke; luckily University Bike Shop does. Better pick up a couple of patch kits too since Barry's is out of patches and mine is out of glue. 

While he takes care of bike business I nose around the relatively new Reconstruction Era National Historic Park. Established in 2017, the park preserves the story of the African-American people as they were freed from enslavement and began to build a new life after the Civil War. Looks like a fascinating place to explore, but we have a 60 mile day so I'll have to move along and meet Barry on the Spanish Moss Trail. 

The serene Spanish Moss Trail runs for ten miles along the former Magnolia Rail Line through wetlands and forests of Live Oaks.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Past the greenway, the roads are so much calmer than yesterday. We ride short bits of US 21 and US 17 between longer segments on smaller roads. All of it is comparatively quiet and the scenery is nicer. It's warmer today, in the mid-80s. I'm extra glad not to have cars buzzing me in the heat.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNot ideal perhaps, but adequate and WAAAYYYY better than yesterday.
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cool shady road approaching Walterboro
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our stay in Walterboro is easy - a decent room at the Baymont, dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, good sleep before the next long ride.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 923 miles (1,485 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Cheryl KellerI love reading about your cycling adventure. Its like reading a good book. 😊
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Cheryl KellerThank you Cheryl! I love reading your comments.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago