To South Miami: Wounded Mount - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2024

To South Miami: Wounded Mount

Last night was the best sleep I've had since we left home. The temperature was perfect. We can't avoid road noise anywhere in the Keys since we're always close to the highway, but ear plugs muffle the roar.

A-plus campsite. The best yet.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our curiosity satisfied, we'll take our leave of the Florida Keys today. We have enjoyed the short miles over the last three days and are ready to ramp it up. 

After three days of south to southeast winds, the weatherman says they'll blow at 15 mph from the north today. Of course they are, now that we're turning north for Miami.

Mike makes a great windbreak as long as I can keep up with him, which isn't long.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I strap my DaBrim visor on to the helmet for better coverage over my red neck and off we go. There's not much to see on the ride to Florida City, just a steady stream of fast traffic to our left and the wind in our faces.

I miss the scene on the Overseas Highway.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLooks very utilitarian, not much like fun. Hope this didn't last overlong.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThis was 20 miles of boredom. Matters definitely improved after Florida City, thank goodness.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Lunch is at McDonalds in Florida City, the halfway point. While I linger for a while to check out lodging options for tomorrow, Barry takes off to find a bike shop near tonight's hotel. His electric shifter is not working so he has essentially been riding a fixed gear bike in fourth gear for the last two days. It's doable on a flat course but not fun.

Mike gets going too. As I'm gathering things up to go I find his phone on the table. I text Barry to let them both know I have it, but they're not riding together at the moment. I hope Mike doesn't get too stressed when he can't find it.

From here our route shifts west to the South Dade Trail on U.S. Bike Route 1. While it's a relief to get some distance from the roaring cars, construction all along the way makes it an obstacle course. 

There's a lot of this...
Heart 1 Comment 1
...and this...
Heart 1 Comment 0
...and cars blocking the crossings. Most of the drivers in the Keys would back up off the trail to let me pass. Not so much here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When it's not all chopped up the trail is quite pleasant, running next to the bus way that has no cars, and very few buses.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ahhhh
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsMuch better...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Cool bikes!
Heart 3 Comment 0
And suddenly I'm in South Miami
Heart 2 Comment 0

Watching Barry's location on Google Maps, I wonder why he hasn't moved in a while. It looks like he's about two miles away from the bike shop he was headed for. The location accuracy is off sometimes but not by that much. 

As I get close he calls with bad news. He got distracted and T-boned his bike into a curb. The fork sheared clean off.

A grievous injury
Heart 0 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesBetter to happen to the bike rather than the rider. Hope Barry is OK.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI do wonder if the fork taking the impact and breaking away might have saved him from injury. We're counting our blessings.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

This is the second time this year that the fork has broken on his new bike - a Lightning R84. The first time was in Tucson in January. That time the dropout on the fork for the front wheel cracked for no apparent reason and the wheel came off. It was a scary moment. Fortunately he was unhurt. Tim Brummer, the owner and mastermind of Lightning Bicycles, shipped a new fork to us in Tucson, gratis.

The good news this time is that once again Barry has escaped injury, and Tim has another new fork he can ship out right away. Tim's a super nice guy. While we were on our first tour on the Pacific Coast, the seat mesh on my first Lightning P38 wore out. I held it together with duct tape. We swung by Tim's shop in Lompoc California, the world headquarters for Lightning Bicycles. It was a thrill to have my bike's inventor restore it to good working order.

Tim fixing up my seat in 2014
Heart 1 Comment 0

I digress. Back to contingency plans. Barry calls an Uber to take him and his wounded mount to the hotel.  Tomorrow he'll rent a car while Mike and I ride. We'll all keep moving north towards Titusville where the fork will arrive next week. 

This will be the first hotel night of the ride. Yippee! We have been in the tent for five nights in a row. I can't remember the last time that happened. Tonight we're in a pleasant suite at the Sunset Inn. It's on the second floor with a balcony that has plenty of room to lock up the bikes.

Being in South Miami, we figure Cuban food is the way to go. We're right around the corner from CasaCuba. I indulge in lobster tails and my first taste of fried plantains. Delicious.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 154 miles (248 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Keith AdamsGlad Barry escaped unscathed. Too bad about the mishap but good that there's a recovery plan.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich FrasierWhat Keith said. So happy that you're all OK. Your positive attitude in the face of challenges is impressive!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Nancy GrahamSo glad, and so fortunate that Barry was not hurt. The cycling on the past day or two does not look too great from this angle. I sure hope the conditions and views improve for you. I have not heard much good about cycling in Florida.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonI can’t believe it. A second broken fork in the same year? It’s great news that Barry came through it OK, but he must be really frustrated.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThanks Keith. There's always a way.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich. Barry doesn't waste brain cells on worry and regret, he just keeps going. It's endearing.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Nancy GrahamThanks Nancy. The scene is much improved since we reached Miami Beach two days ago.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonI couldn't believe it either. Can't really fault the fancy bike this time. I don't think my fork would have survived a direct hit like that. It's awesome that he can get the replacement in a few days.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago