To Ocean Isle Beach - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2024

To Ocean Isle Beach

This morning has to be the coldest yet. It's 40 degrees at 5 am, well below the normal low for this time of year and what I can handle. I'm back in the campground laundry room to warm up and dry out a few things. 

By 8 am Barry and I are packed up and on our way to dawdle for a couple hours at the Grand Strand Coffee Shop until the sun is higher in the sky. Mike isn't in as big of a hurry to leave; he is better prepared for the cold, or at least not as whiny about it as me.

Early morning writing studio at Myrtle Beach State Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost ready to roll
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hot breakfast at my new favorite coffee shop beats cold campground granola any day
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride is the last we'll see of South Carolina. I'm ready to leave. The roads just haven't been a lot of fun to ride. The final miles here are a long touristy parade of amusement parks, OceanCreekGrandVista hotels and ReefIslandVillasBlahBlah resorts that make me appreciate the beauty of the state park even more.  

Bleah
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis is near Cherry grove Beach, just south of the state line. I have such good memories of that place, though it’s much changed now of course. Our family drove down to here from Charleston in the early 1950’s for two summer vacations nearly seventy years ago.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonThose sound like wonderful memories Scott. We turned away from the shore road right at Cherry Grove Beach on the way to the swing bridge. That area going north along the beaches looked less commercialized, more homey.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
This is different - the first swing bridge we've seen on this trip. It rotates 90 degrees to let ships pass and is lower to the water than a drawbridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0

As soon as we cross the state line into North Carolina the ride experience improves. Rumble strips disappear, shoulders widen out and drivers are nicer. They all hang back until they can move over to the other lane to pass me. The culture change is quite striking.

Heart 4 Comment 4
Karen PoretOur cycle instructor at my outdoor exercise place just moved back home to NC from CA. We miss her already. Hi Olivia! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI have always noted the same improvement in cycling conditions moving into North Carolina from South Carolina. Being a native North Carolinian, I thought it might just be my perception, but it's great to hear that you guys felt that way too. You will enjoy coastal North Carolina. Be sure to have some Brunswick stew!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith AdamsI had nothing but positive experiences with North Carolina drivers on my Charlotte-to-DC tour two weeks ago. Based on your report it seems like it really is a "thing". Good to know.
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsI look forward to reading all about your tour whenever I come up for air on this one. Even better - hearing about it if the stars align on the possibility of our meetup in a couple weeks. I'll email about the schedule.
Reply to this comment
3 days ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
I like all of this
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have just 12 miles to go from the state line to our room at the Ocean Isle Inn. There is one detour around the 179 bridge over the Calabash River which is closed. Its not far to the next road that takes us through a golf course to the next bridge.

The town of Ocean Isle Beach, just four miles long on a barrier island, looks shiny and new. I had fairy-tale notions about our hotel on the shore and the prospect of another walk on the beach. Unfortunately the wind has picked up and we aren't done with the cool weather yet. Besides, the hotel has a hot tub. That'll do fine.

Crossing the Intracoastal Waterway to the Ocean Isle
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNew, raw, tourist-oriented. Ugh. At least there's not a lot of traffic in evidence.
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Tempting if not for the wind
Heart 1 Comment 0

We brave the wind for the half mile walk to dinner at Ocean Isle Fish Company where the fresh catch of the day is grouper. After the hot soak, dinner and wine I'm ready to pass out. 

I love the fishbone logo for Ocean Isle Fish Company
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,188 miles (1,912 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0