Savannah Walkabout: A photo gallery - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2024

Savannah Walkabout: A photo gallery

We're all doing our own thing this morning. Barry left first on his bike for a new front tire at the Perry Rubber Bike Shop downtown. Mike jetted off for a long brisk walk. On wheels or on foot, his land speed is faster by half than mine. I'll take advantage of the quiet time to write for awhile before I wander out.

First, let's have a quick peek at the Monarch butterfly operation back in Port St. Lucie. Lorraine Kurtz, Lori and Mike's aunt, sent me a photo of the crysalises that her granddaughter Kristin put up in the butterfly hotel when we visited them. 

By now they have all emerged and fluttered away
Heart 4 Comment 0

Robert, our host in Savannah, lives in the historic district, less than a mile from Forsyth Park.  I'm drawn toward the fountain there by a tender melody on the trumpet. It makes a nice soundtrack for the video of the scene, below.

Pretty Park Ave
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Fountain at Forsyth Park
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The tune is "En mi viejo San Juan" by Noel Estrada - in English, "In My Old San Juan." Emir, the musician, is from Puerto Rico near San Juan. He explains that the song is about a man who is not able to return to his beloved island. Estrada wrote the song for his younger brother who was homesick while stationed in Panama during World War II. It has become an anthem for Puerto Ricans who have left the island, whether for economic reasons, military service or in the wake of natural disasters.

As Emir fills me in his favorite restaurants around historic Savannah, Barry pulls up on his bike and snaps a photo of us. We'll take one of Emir's suggestions nearby for lunch - Clary's Cafe, then walk around some of the historic sights.

Heart 5 Comment 0
That new 43mm front tire is quite a bit beefier than the 28 in back.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezWas that a purposeful decision, or a case of taking what was available? It's amazing the fork would accommodate that beefy of tire!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Barry BranhamTo Kelly IniguezTaking best available. It's 1.7" something my old one was 1.1
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Passing the monument to General Casimir Pulaski, known as the Father of American Cavalry for his success training Continental soldiers during the War of Independence.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsBeing a Pole, Pulaski's a celebrated figure in and around Chicagoland where I grew up. Interesting to see him again so far from there.
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsWe have Pulaski Banks all over St Louis, a company that I gather started in Illinois, but I never knew the story of who he was until we visited Savannah. I love picking up these bits of history to fill the holes in my education.
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
Clary's Cafe started out as a drugstore in 1903. The outdoor tables are a good spot for people-watching as folks walk home from church.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The counter at Clary's where John Cusack had lunch in the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry's bike lock is back at the house so we'll just keep his mission-critical bike with us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The 1802 Old City Exchange Bell, believed to be the oldest bell in Georgia, has rung to signal closing time for shops, sound a fire alarm, celebrate wartime victories and welcome distinguished visitors like the Marquis de Lafayette.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Old Savannah Cotton Exchange, built in 1887 during the city's heyday as the biggest cotton seaport on the Altantic.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We catch up with Mike on the Riverwalk. He and Barry are heading back to the house. I'm going to hang out here in Old Savannah for the afternoon; there's plenty of sightseeing and shopping for entertainment.

The Georgia Queen out on a sightseeing cruise
Heart 3 Comment 0
At River Street Sweets. There has been not nearly enough gelato on this trip so far.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGelato is a necessity on a cycle trip!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonI haven't seen any pistachio gelato lately. Guess I need to try more places until I find it.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
So many tempting dinner spots on the Riverwalk
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monument to the Chassers-Volontaires de Saint-Domingue, a Creole regiment from Haiti that served in the American Revolutionary War. The company fought alongside colonial rebels in an unsuccessful attempt to break the British siege of Savannah in 1779.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Savannah City Hall, a gold-domed Renaissance Revival building completed in 1905. Herman Myers, mayor at the time, called it a monument to the "indomitable energy and progressive spirit of Savannah."
Heart 3 Comment 0
In front of the Talmadge Memorial Bridge with my shopping find - a crushable hat that will fit in my pannier.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonThanks! I have been stuffing it in my bag for a week now and it's holding up well.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

Back on the Riverwalk I meet up with the guys for dinner at District Seafood, right next to District Smokehouse. Mike and I get an oyster fix while Barry is into the smoked meats. Our server very kindly advises us that this is not a great place for dessert. Looking around for other options, the "Better than Sex" dessert place is irresistable.

The biggest container ship I've ever seen, at least this up close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dinner with the fellas
Heart 5 Comment 0
Off on our quest for dessert
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the dark and steamy "Better than Sex" dessert joint, menus and servers all talk dirty to us. Barry orders Fever, a "warm supple chocolate cake full of body that's oozing a subtle Chocolate Pudding and rubbing up against cool white Vanilla Bean Balls." Mike's Caress My Carrot cake stands tall. I order the "tall, dark and handsome Man Flowers," whatever that means. 

It's not often that I can't finish a dessert. This one is too much for me.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Cheryl KellerLooks like a fun dessert place 🙂
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Cheryl KellerIt was fun although pricey. After we got back Robert told us about Leopold's, an old school ice cream parlor that's been around since 1919. Sounds more appealing than the glitzy scene here.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0