In St. Augustine: Healing Waters - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2024

In St. Augustine: Healing Waters

It's 52 degrees in the Anastasia campground at 6 am, a little warmer than the last campsite by the gator habitat. I'm heading to the shower house again where there's light and heat to get some writing done.

The deep bench in the accessible shower is more comfortable than the skinny one at the last place.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After breakfast while Mike goes off to walk the beach, Barry and I ride through Anastasia Island and over the Lions Bridge into historic St. Augustine, the oldest city in America. Pedro Menendez de Aviles established the first settlement here in 1565 -- 42 years before the Brits landed in Jamestown.

 We stop in for a look at the Gonzalez-Alvarez house, commonly known as the "Oldest House," and decide to stay for the tour.  From there we ride around the old city admiring the Spanish architecture styles.

Crossing over the Bridge of Lions, a drawbridge that connects Anastasia Island with the historic center of St. Augustine
Heart 2 Comment 0
The two lions Fiel and Firme (Faithful and Firm), guard the 1927 bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Nao Trinidad, a full-size replica of the tall ship that Ferdinand Magellan sailed around the globe in 1519-1522, proving that the earth is round.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Gonzalez-Alvarez House, commonly known as the "Oldest House," was built around 1723. It sits on a site where a 17th century wooden house burned to the ground in 1702 when the Brits reduced St. Augustine to ashes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The family would store their food on the shelf hanging above the table to keep it from the rats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A family of 10 slept in the living room on pallets and hammocks
Heart 1 Comment 0
A surfing hall of fame on the Gonzalez-Alvarez property celebrates St. Augustine's surf culture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elaine Davis, one of the local surfing heroes who competed in national and international competitions
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Lightner Museum, formerly the Hotel Alcazar, a Spanish Renaissance Revival resort commissioned by Henry Flagler
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful balconies on Casa Monica, built in Spanish-Moorish style
Heart 2 Comment 0
Villa Zorayda, built by Franklin W Smith, was inspired by the 12th century Moorish Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Strolling the shops on St. George Street
Heart 1 Comment 0

We meet up with Mike for lunch at a great taqueria, then ride to Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park. The park celebrates Juan Ponce de Leon's landing in 1513 on the territory he named La Florida and the mythical legend of his search for the fountain of youth. Exhibits highlight the culture of the Timucua people who lived in this region, and the first European settlement in America in 1565.

Lunch on the roof at Casa Reina Taqueria. The grouper in avocado cream sauce here is the bomb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost everywhere we've been in Florida has great tasting water, except for this spring said to have been discovered by Ponce de Leon. Tastes kind of sulphery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Indian peafowl roam the grounds
Heart 2 Comment 0
Park exhibits highlight the culture of the Timucuan people who lived in what is now southern Georgia and Florida. This replica of a Timucuan hut would have been used by multiple generations of a family.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Timucua scraped and burned logs to make dugout canoes like these
Heart 1 Comment 0



I liked the demonstrations of how to load and fire a musket and a crossbow.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The park is a compatible activity with the eclipse happening this afternoon.  We can look up through our special eclipse glasses now and then while learning a bit of history of this area. The eclipse here isn't as dramatic as back home in Missouri where it will reach 100% of totality. It's closer to 68% in St. Augustine, making the sun look like a quarter moon.

The cannon demonstration fires at 3:05, the peak of the eclipse here. The sun still looks pretty bright as you can see from the palm shadows.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There's more to see here about blacksmithing, boatbuilding, seafaring navigation and other aspects of Spanish colonial life, but we'll  move on to the best part of the day. 

We pick up some snacks for dinner and head to the beach for the rest of the afternoon. The wind is not as wild today, enough to keep the bugs away. 

This right here is my healing water. Watching the birds skitter around when we throw them some crumbs is extra entertainment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking north at an east coast sunset
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 565 miles (909 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’ve gotten way behind on your journal but this looked like a very nice day with great photos!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachel. I'm still daydreaming about that beach.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago