Milwaukee to Cedarburg - Lighthouses, Lake Michigan, Mansions - Wisconsin Wanderlust: Supported (Mostly) Tour de Rail Trails - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2024

Milwaukee to Cedarburg - Lighthouses, Lake Michigan, Mansions

Bright and early Sunday morning, we loaded our bikes and luggage on the van and trailer for a short shuttle into downtown Milwaukee.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The group consisted of 5 couples (one riding a tandem), two solo female riders and two guides who alternated riding sweep on a bike or driving the van and arranging lunch stops each day. Over the course of the week, a few members of the group had various medical issues that the guides handled very well. I think it is safe to say all of us were born before the US Bicentennial...

After a short safety and route briefing, we got on the bikes for a short bit of urban  road riding until we reached the Pierhead Lighthouse for the traditional "before" group photo.

Sacrificing group detail to get most of the lighthouse in the shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the lighthouse, we got on our bikes headed north on a crowded lakefront trail – I think it is called the Oak Leaf trail – with more lighthouses and awesome views of Lake Michigan. As a life-long east coaster, when I see water and I can’t see land on the other side, I’m thinking ocean not lake.

Should be called Ocean Michigan
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI agree, lakes this big should be called "oceans." On the other hand, oceans contain salt. I like the fresh water better.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
John PescatoreTo Gregory GarceauI think your are right - all 5 oceans are really part of one big pool of salt water.

Apparently the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea states that all of the ocean is "sea". But, the Sea of Gallilee is a freshwater lake.

I will go with "The Sea of Michigan."
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

After about 6 miles, we headed southwest through some large parks and past some humongous estates/villas/compounds as well as some inland lighthouses. Milwaukee's Lake Michigan shoreline has a lot going on. In one of the parks somewhere around the 16 mile mark we met the van and had lunch – the weather was awesome: low humidity, breezy, temps in the high 70s.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In a few more miles we headed north on the Ozaukee Interurban Trail which was in great condition, not crowded and nearly arrow straight for about 15 miles to Cedarburg and the Washington House Inn, our lodging for the night. The Inn had fresh-baked scones and fruit-infused ice water ready for us and then some of us headed back out to do some additional miles to Port Washington, back on the Lake Michigan shore for 22 miles total.

I turned around halfway, went back to the Inn and Carole and I did some walking around the cute, cute town of Cedarburg.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A fine group dinner at the Stilt restaurant and the first day was in the books.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 39 miles (63 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0