Getting There and Getting Going - Wisconsin Wanderlust: Supported (Mostly) Tour de Rail Trails - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2024

Getting There and Getting Going

John and his Jamis Renegade Gravel bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Carole and her favorite bike, our son's 30 year old Specialized mountain bike
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since we'd be putting a lot of miles on unpaved (and likely sandy/muddy) rail trails, 35mm or larger tires were recommended. Last year on a Great Allegheny Passage ride, I ran over some metal and ruined the 40mm Donnely rear tire on my Jamis and replaced both tires with some 35mm Schwalbe tires I had in the garage. I couldn't fit 35mm tires on Carole's Specialized hybrid, so she rode our son's old, old Specialized mountain bike with 1.95 inch tires on 26" wheels.

We loaded the bikes and luggage on the car and headed west. The first day we stopped at about the halfway point in Columbus OH and stayed at our friend's Rick and Maggie's house. The next day we drove to an hotel near the Milwaukee airport where the Wilderness Voyageurs van would pick up us and our bikes the next morning, met Parry and Shanna for a great dinner at the Water Street Brewery in Oak Creek, stopped at a local Meijer superstore for supplies and hit the sack.

The first 6 days would be a smorgasbord of rail trails scattered from Milwaukee to La Crosse to Madison, and then Carole and I would tack on two extra days in Door County on the "thumb" jutting into Lake Michigan northeast of Green Bay.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0