Welland Locks - Clear Skies from Wisconsin to Albany NY 2024 - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2024

Welland Locks

So interesting!!!!

For a good part of the morning we rode along the original Welland Canal. Then by midday we had shifted over to the current canal and were fortunate enough to come upon a large freighter entering the lock. I took a series of photos trying to capture the scene. 

The Puma entering the lock. Notice how deep it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In a little further.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And further!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back you can see where the captain and crew work and live.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the water is starting to flood in under the boat. You can see what an amazing tight fit it is!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now it’s floated up a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the back end as it starts to power out of the lock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And is disappearing up the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Also at the same time a military (coast guard?) group of young band members were practicing for a graduation or something. It was fun watching and listening to them as we watched the freighter going through.

They practice several maneuvers with band music piped in. It was very festive.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we rode along the canal for a while. After we left the canal and came to Niagara on the lake we got our first vote of La m Lake Ontario.

Stan looking out on the lake. If you squint and look carefully you can see Toronto on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next viewing was of the Niagara River a bit downstream from the Falls. We were up at the huge power grid fed by the river. 

The writers don’t really show up but the building is massive. That’s my thumb on the lower left!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shot is of Bridge to the US down River from where we were. Unfortunately my shot of the escarpment across the river didn’t work out! It’s a HEIC and Cycle Blaze only takes JPEG. Too bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 682 miles (1,098 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0