What a day - Two of Us... - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2024

What a day

Lewiston to Sand Springs

Avg speed 11.7

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ok , why two reps photos? Hah, there in haha a tale.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was stunning beauty. Sorry the photos are not up to the task.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

First the three of us meant to get out early and crank some miles. So our plan was to be out by 6-6:30. Well, just as we are to leave, Kara finds she has a flat. The tire was quite recalcitrant so it took us a bit. And her spare tire was Schrader not presta, ouch. Kara made a stop at a local bike shop at 7:30 ish after calling him. What a great guy at High Plains Bike Shop. 

Sarah and I left Kara to go to the bike shop while we continued on. As we were leaving Lewiston, RWGPS said "Slight left in 194 miles." Pretty sure I wasn't going to lose me way for a while. Kara ended up with 4 flats for the day, a broken tire lever and no more tube patches. Fortunately, she's of great spirits and didn't seemed flustered! She hitched a ride with a lovely woman who got her to Jordan, a small town that we get to tomorrow. Kara managed to get a ride to Billings and back to get bicycle supplies. Not sure we'll see her again but hope it works out for her. I hope so. 

Meanwhile, Sarah and I got about 80 miles in to our supposed site. We'll it was quite derelict. I wished I had taken photos. We later learned it was in operation. There was no shade at 3:00 , no trees to pitch under. After a bit we decided to move on 21 miles to Sand Springs. What a great decision. Though we got there at 6 the proprietor was quite welcoming. We set up our tents behind the store and eventually turned in around 9, when things  were cooled down.  

It was a gorgeous day riding, especially the last 20 miles. Undulating hills, mixed typography (though it seemed mostly up), and occasional flora and fauna.  I wish pictures captured the beauty of this area, but they don't. I wonder if I'll still feel the same way over the next 500 miles.

Today's ride: 98 miles (158 km)
Total: 1,277 miles (2,055 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0