Trying to Stay in Shape - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2024

Trying to Stay in Shape

Now that we are home, we can muse over our souvenirs from Spain and France.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Our shells and keychain from the Camino, a keychain from the Mosque/Cathedral at Cordoba, and a souvenir of Pope Francis at Fatima.
Heart 0 Comment 0

But musing only goes so far, and there is no exercise in it. Same with planning the next trip - no exercise.  What we basically need is to keep pedaling.

There is a circle route around our house that amounts to about 20 km, and can be used to try to stay in cycling shape when we are not out on a tour. But the route has two drawbacks. Firstly, after spinning around it ten or twenty times, we dread the boredom of doing it yet again. And secondly, it passes the quite good Drumroaster Cafe. If we stop there, we not only risk going bankrupt, but the lovely raspberry scones and cinnamon brioches automatically cancel any weight loss benefits of the ride.

When we have circled around home enough times, we begin to fly off the handle, so to speak, heading straight out to the north and the south. In the north, sorry to say, is the Willow Street Cafe, in Chemainus. This place tempts us with muffins and cinnamon buns, plus soups and wraps. Significantly, it is a halfway point to Nanaimo, and it makes a great meetup point with Sue and Jim Price, cyclists known on Cycleblaze particularly for their tour in Cuba.

Escape to the North:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Vancouver Island, and the small islands to the east - in the Salish Sea are surprisingly hilly. I guess it's not all that surprising, because of course the land has to poke up above the sea, to qualify as land. There are of course valleys and flat spots, but you do have to choose the routes carefully, for maximum comfort (but minimum training effect).  As shown in the graph above, our route to the Willow Street Cafe is indeed a bit lumpy, though not crazy.

Hills of Vancouver Island
Heart 1 Comment 0
This 15% is near our house. There is a cafe at the bottom of it. If you go there, you have to climb back up!
Heart 3 Comment 0
A typical house in our neighbourhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another one - slightly fancier. Houses here are generally made from wood, often with asphalt tile roofs. It's so different from the stone walls and clay tile roofs we often see in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wood and asphalt house has the advantage of being right on the water. Unlike in France, that does not mean blue shutters and orange roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our way passes the estuary of the Cowichan River. This river drains part of the huge rainforest that occupies the centre of the island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Churches here are also nothing like what one normally finds in Europe.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is a little reminicent of France.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is possible to stay off the main highway and get to the cafe the back way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Typical houses in Chemainus.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In downtown Chemainus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our favourite cafe in Chemainus. The old wood frame house is very pleasant to sit in and around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is always room on the deck for bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking for a flatter way back, we swung closer to the water, and past the Catalyst pulp mill. We used to be able to smell the sulphur fumes from this, but the emissions have since been largely scrubbed. A former premier of the province used to call sulphur the smell of money.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Laurie MarczakWas that Bennett? Certainly don’t miss the socreds…
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakYes W.A. C. "Wacky" Bennett. But looking up "the smell of money" also produces references from pig processing to marijuana sales, so maybe Bennett did not invent the idea.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

As for going south, 15 km  from our house is a ferry that crosses the "Finlayson Arm" of the Salish Sea, and brings us in 20 minutes to the Saanich Peninsula. From there, north, is the ferry to Vancouver and also the airport, but to the south is the provincial capital, Victoria. We head down to Victoria, where we can visit family or see if there is anything left at Mountain Equipment that we have not bought yet. A big treat down there is also the Fisherman's Wharf. This has many very scenic float homes, and also food outlets, like Barb's Fish and Chips. By the time we drag ourselves back up to the ferry and on to home, the ride will have been about 80 km, which is a worthy outing.  The map below shows 83 km, but it is cheating by including the ferry ride!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Not quite the Yucatan, but still exciting Mexican - at Fisherman's Wharf.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Some of the float homes - next few shots.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not exactly a warning, but just a statement of fact?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fisherman's Wharf also affords a bit of a chance to practice with the new camera.  Scott predicted what we would find the Cackling Goose once back in Canada, but these seems to be boring old Canada Geese. The raccoon was fishing right by all the tourists.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYou’re right, they’re not cacklers. I like the looks of your camera though!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Even with slightly hilly rides in our  vicinity, we still need other ways to stay in shape. Fortunately our small farm supplies some quite good opportunities. One of these is in keeping up the supply of firewood for the coming winter. Fortunately, trees are blown down at our place at just about the rate that is needed for the woodstoves, so we never have to go out and actively cut a tree down. 

This last winter a couple of really big trees decided to fall. This is a mixed blessing, because big trees need a bit of a big saw to slice them up, and then they become big and heavy lumps of wood, which can be a challenge to split.

This one was at least 100 feet long, with typically about a 2 foot diameter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a workout for me, and also the saw. I am proud of this saw, which I rebuilt by carefully watching Youtube videos. After this photo, I had to go with a longer bar - it was quite a tree! For this selfie I did not have on my helmet, ear phones, or gloves, but yes, these are essential for this kind of work.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Laurie Marczak*very* relieved to see the list of some safety precautions I was about to launch into a “Steve, a known idiot…” story/tirade!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The rounds were too heavy to lift into the trailer, so I split many in quarters on the spot with a maul and sledge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Then I could heave them onto the trailer, and take them to the hydraulic splitter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some were too tough to split, so the tractor had to help out in moving to the hydraulic splitter.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Despite all this lumberjacking for me, and woodstacking for Dodie, we are still quite low on strength and energy.  But 4000 km or so around Europe ought to wake us up!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0