The Plan for the Loire - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

The Plan for the Loire

As we cycled the Loire this  Spring, we were carefully watching for which bits of the Loire a Velo might be the most pleasant and interesting for the kids. We concluded that  Blois to Angers is actually the heart of the matter, with the greatest density of chateaus, troglodyte cliffs, and historic cities. Our only misgiving was that this leaves out Orleans, which is Jeanne d'Arc central, but then again we did not find the cycle from Orleans to Blois to be especially stellar.

On the stretch we have chosen, there are five chateaus that we think would be particularly interesting. These are Chambord, the dramatically styled hunting lodge made of tuffeau and with so many towers; Rigny Usse - the prototypical Sleeping Beauty castle, Villandry - with its gorgeous gardens; Angers - with its 17 round towers, and Clos Luce - where Leonardo Da Vinci spent his last years.  Also, in the vicinity of Turquant (near Saumur), there are tuffeau cliffs that have been dug out into houses, wine cellars, and the one we rather like - large caves for growing mushrooms and snails. There is a restaurant there that we can maybe hit. Also in the cliffs there there are caves with ovens that were and are used for drying apples. The apples are not sliced but rather are tapped flat as they dry. There is a restaurant there too that we maybe could try.

There we have the plan with Josh and the kids  about 14 days, from near Blois, cycling down to Angers, and returning to Nantes to fly out. Once the kids have flown out the Grampies will spin on our heels and head north, though eventually ending in Spain.

The Plan is to take the train from Nantes to Blois, and cycle back to Angers, about 250 km. Then train back to Nantes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Looks like a splendid plan. I’ll bet the kids will love it too. From back in my tour guide days, when this part of the Loire valley was my stomping grounds, the one site that sticks out as the most kid friendly was the da Vinci museum at the Clos Luce in Amboise. But I’ll bet you knew that already. I’ll also bet that Les quebecoises will be an enormous hit with the locals who will spoil them rotten if allowed.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWe definitely have Clos Luce marked out as a highlight visit. The grands are all super excited about the whole adventure, and so is their Papa if truth be told. And yes, we have every intention of letting the locals spoil the kids rotten in any way possible.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago