The Best Laid Plans... - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2024

The Best Laid Plans...

Here is a Flicker on the deck, to cheer us up as we explain why we didn't fly today.

At least this guy will fly today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Well now, it has happened before. Exactly a year ago, actually, as we cancelled and rebooked to be around for our sick daughter. And there was 2019 too, as we sped back from Prague, for the same reason. It's just part of being parents. But it is kind of gut wrenching, as the airline sends you those email reminders about time to check in online for your flight tomorrow. And since we don't learn, I guess, the flight is always of the no cancel, no change variety. Flights that you can cancel or change are priced way high.  It's bad enough that we are breaking the bank just paying these days to be allowed to have a carry on bag!

The extra dollars and hassle of not flying when planned of course pales beside dealing with  the doctors and the medical situation, and now, it does seem like the end of the line for our daughter is quite near.  

It is a comfort that when we do fly, it will be to help nurture a next generation of cyclists, in the persons of the young grandchildren, as we take them out on the Loire.  But as they grow up to take our places in the world and on bikes, we can't help but think that it is our generation, and not our daughter's that should get struck first off the roster to make room for the generation that is following..  In short, parents are not meant to outlive their children.

Although we definitely could not leave today as planned, we also definitely need to be with the grandkids, cycling in Nantes next week. But we have a plan. We are splitting the responsibility. We'll hang in here (at the hospital) as long as needed, or until Saturday. Other friends and family will step in, if still needed. And we will fly to Paris. Instead of then cycling to Nantes, we'll find a train. It will be ok!

Meanwhile we are observing some miscellaneous stuff. One is about how really nice the hospital facilities are, here in Victoria. And the other is about how weird and avaricious the airlines are with their pricing algorithms. This will give us something to write about, until we do get on that plane!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 27
Jacquie GaudetSo sad to hear. Hugs to you both.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetThanks Jacquie. It does help to know that there is a caring community out there.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Andrea BrownOh my goodness, this sounds terribly painful for your family. Peace be with you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownThank you Andrea. Endings are never easy, are they?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Robyn RichardsI'm very sorry to hear this awful news.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Robyn RichardsThank you, Robyn.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Eva WaltersYou and Dodie are such brave and caring parents. We hope that your family bicycle trip will help to heal your hearts.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretGrampies are the best..for everyone! They know their priorities and will be rewarded on the bike..eventually..PS. The tarts will still be waiting for your tastebuds.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThanks Karen.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Eva WaltersThank you Eva. We are taking things one day at a time and trust that good days are yet to come.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are holding you both in our hearts. So unimaginably tough. Not sure if you are at the Jubilee or the General, but if it is the Jubilee you know how close we are. We can offer a spot for a break and a rest.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susan CarpenterSo sorry for you both and for your family, my thoughts are with you. I hope you can all find some peace and joy along the Loire, and certainly there will be a lot of love. I'm here in Paris if you need anything.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonI’m so sorry to hear this. Our hearts ache for all of you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott and Rachel. Joni can look back on a lot of fun times, though more healthy years were certainly due her. In one of those fun times, now relegated to type 2 or 3 fun, we were out snorkeling on the reef by Caye Caulker, Belize and the water was too rough for me. Joni had been watching me carefully, and towed me to the boat, effectively saving me from drowning. She was such a strong swimmer! Something to remember now.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Susan CarpenterThanks Susan. We had planned to avoid Paris, but now we will be rapidly cycling from St lazare to Montparnasse to switch trains. A small brush close to the Olympics, with our own 6.3 km dash.

btw It was fun watching the end of a triathlon at the Alexandre III bridge, familiar since you had taken us there.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonDear Dodie and Steve, I am so sad for you. So hard to watch your offspring go too soon. Love to you both.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveThat’s incredibly heartbreaking news. I can’t imagine. Hope you find some joy on your bikes with your grandchildren . Sounds like exactly what you’ll be needing.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenThanks Kathleen, for the warm thoughts and the hospitality offer. We just may take you up on it since Dodie is reluctant to leave the hospital for very long.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonIt is a truly heart wrenching thing to go through. We feel sustained and supported, however, by the wonderful Cycleblaze community, those we have met and those we have yet to meet.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveThank you Carolyn, both for the warm thoughts and also for the helpful information regarding trains along the Loire which Ian has relayed to us.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
Sue and I offer our thoughts at this terrible time. May you find strength in each other.
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Ardell SiegelDear Dodie and Steve,
I am so very sorry to hear this news. I remember hearing stories of your daughter at our dinner many years ago and the joy she had in her teaching and students on an island I believe it was off the coast of South America. I hope you will take comfort from the memories of her accomplishments and achievements. I know you were wonderful and loving parents. I am so very sorry. Ardell
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinThanks Keith. We do indeed rely on each other, especially at trying times like this. We also draw great comfort from the caring and supportive community that Cycleblaze embodies.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ardell SiegelThank you Ardell. Joni is a remarkable woman who indeed achieved great things. The steady stream of visitors she has had in the hospital are a real testament to how much she is loved. We take real solace from this.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve, not sure if you've had any success booking a direct train. Possibly you already know this, but you could definitely get on a couple of connecting TER trains. It's one change going via Le Mans, otherwise a change at both Orlean and Amboise. You'll need to book each leg separately. It's about 5-6hrs, but at least you'll get down there. Susan would likely be the person to tap into for more info if you need it. And if I can help at all in any way email me: carvan2 at me dot com
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraI just finished getting caught up on reading your journal. Reading this news was disheartening and so sad. Susanna and I are thinking about you and your family. Our thoughts and hearts are with you all.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingSo sorry to hear about your daughter, Steve & Dodie- Ann and I send our sympathy and thoughts. And good luck with your upcoming ride!
Michael & Ann Hutching
Reply to this comment
2 months ago