Meet the Crew - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

Meet the Crew

Here in one of our favourite photos are Joseph, Evelyn, and Amelia. They are the children of our son Joshua and his wife Sabrina. All live in Montreal, where  the kids were born. It has been a unique journey. Dodie and I were born in Montreal and slowly migrated across the country, ending on Vancouver Island, which is as far west as you can go in Canada. Joshua was then born out here, but somehow he boomeranged back east to Quebec. One upshot of all this is that all four speak French, which could be an asset as we swoop along the Loire, France's biggest river.

Joe, Evee, and Amelia - so cute!
Heart 10 Comment 1

Here are the three in a more recent shot. As you can see, they are heavily training for France, with a croissant, baguette, and pain au raisin, respectively.

Heart 7 Comment 0

While we expect the kids are well trained in the boulangerie arts, we don't have a lot of info yet on their cycle training. The stock photo below shows them at much younger ages. While their devotion is clear, sidewalk riding in Montreal may not transfer too well to bucking traffic in Nantes. 

Heart 5 Comment 0

Now older and more experienced, we expect they will be fine!

Heart 4 Comment 0

The fourth member of the crew is Josh, the kids' Dad.  Josh will be a major asset, although you may wonder, from the photo below. Here Josh and Amelia try out rain gear. Maybe they will do better with other gear!

Josh and Amelia - gearheads!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Cameras are a critcal piece of touring gear - just like raincoats. Here we see Amelia and Joe making sure they know how to operate the point and shoots that will be theirs. Evee had already grilled me with questions like "What is ISO?" and what does it mean "Continuous shooting?".  This had me delving into what was ISO in the old days of film, and the pros and cons of fast and slow continuous shooting. In a few weeks I'll see if she remembers anything of this. Not that it matters!

They are pretty much experts already.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 17
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Janice BranhamWhat lucky kids, and grandparents. Excited to follow your horde along LA Loire.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Andrea BrownThis must be like a dream come true to the Grampies. What a lot of fun!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretWhat a whirl! Give it a go with added Grampies family :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonCan't wait to see those kids in action!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauI'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but savor every moment with that bunch. Maybe, just maybe, your adventure will spawn a TV show called "The Grampy Bunch."
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gregory GarceauMaybe we could get an AI to produce it. Michel was having some luck with creating the blog text...
Reply to this comment
2 months ago