Hospitals - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2024

Hospitals

Cycle tourists are people passing through lands and societies that are beyond their normal ones. And because they are deliberately going extra slow (even if faster than walkers) and deliberately making themselves more vulnerable to all kinds of risks than normal, and open to all sorts of experiences, Cycleblaze blogs end up covering almost every topic imaginable. I mean, one time we even covered particle physics, just because we happened to cycle past the giant accelerator at CERN. 

Today's topic is Hospitals, and tomorrow's will touch on Trains. These are huge areas of concern to cycle tourists, though both deal with cases where the cyclist has somehow been forced off the bike. I guess the previous page, on Airlines, is in this category as well.

We have been fortunate by not having had too much experience with hospitals through life. At least that is not much experience as clients. Dodie did spend her career working inside the darn things. Our main cycling experiences with hospitals were in Florida, (when hit by a truck), Netherlands, (hit by a car), Mexico, (hit head on road), and Netherlands again (bad food in a national park). And now, we are living in one for a week, before flying out on Saturday.

Since our cycling career is only really a decade or so old, the hospitals we have visited were all much different from the dingy, crowded places with equipment clogging the corridors and restrictive visiting hours, that we remember from the old days. No doubt it's because we have stuck to the more economically developed parts of the world, but we have experienced  only bright, airy, and quiet places, often providing space that includes a bed and even food for visitors, and boasting quite competent staff and tons of diagnostic equipment.

There have been differences, of course. On the plus side there was the hospital in Netherlands with the Eis Cafe in the courtyard, and the rooms with a view of the green inner courtyard. In Mexico (Merida) there was instant access to the specialists, and a medical imaging section that belted out reams of pictures of poor Dodie's head, including a souvenir CD of the whole thing. The bottom rung is occupied by the Florida hospital that stashed me in a corridor for my four hour stay, had an orthopedic specialist that said the job was too tough for him, but still managed t0 create a $10,000 invoice, and an overall experience that came in at $25,000, which was a little more than $6,000 per hour. I only got finally fixed on returning to Canada, and where most services at least appear on the surface to be free to all citizens.

Now, sitting on a visitor bed in Victoria's Jubilee Hospital, I can look out the picture window at green Mount Douglas, or down to the parkade, where our eGolf is enjoying the sun atop the spacious and not too expensive per day structure. And yes, there is a coffee shop, called the Good Earth, though admittedly it is not an eis cafe, and there is an oriental style meditation garden, with waterfall. Seeing that Dodie appears to be living here, they have begun to bring her food, in what they call "companion trays".  This service, and all the other expert staff, diagnostics, drugs, supplies, and space are at no apparent charge. It makes me proud of my country, and glad to pay, through taxes, for others when they may need help as well.

Below are some illustrative shots of this place. It's probably a "Forum" topic, as to what others have encountered as cyclists around the world, but if anyone wants to post a comment about it, it would be interesting.

Large, airy room
Heart 0 Comment 0
The picture window
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kitchen for general use. Unfortunately, for some reason, they are stocking "Canadian" bread. Yucch.
Heart 0 Comment 7
Jacquie GaudetIt was a long time ago (my son just turned 31) but he was delivered by Caesarian and we were kept in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. I was so hungry! I even ate the jello when I was restricted to "full fluids", which somehow included jello (which I hate). When I was finally allowed to eat real food, the kitchen in the ward had Wonderbread and little packets of Kraft peanut butter and jam. I don't consider those to be real food.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetThe hospital staff has come to accept that all three of us basically live here, so they have started sending three meals three times a day. Certain parts of it are somewhat edible!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI didn't mention that, at that time, we weren't allowed to leave the ward. No option to go get food anywhere else. Several years later, spending time at the same hospital when our younger son broke his arm, there was a Tim Horton's on site. First and last time I've ever had Tim's coffee.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretWhat is (wrong) Canadian bread? Never having been in Canada or knowing what you speak of, I would really like to know!
However, as a native of San Francisco, CA, I grew up on Parisian Sourdough bread. Spoiled child that I was. ;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretYes SF sourdough is nice, and we remember fondly Dodie (also a baker) discussing technique with a counterpart at Boudin Bakery. But in North America, Wonder style bread is the real standard. You might be able to eat it with peanut butter and jam, but mostly not. By the way, the Wonder style bread in Mexico is from the company Bimbo, and their graphic mascot is a white teddy bear that resembles the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretCanadian, American, Wonder bread are all equally bland, unflavorful, nonnutritious overprocessed garbage bread to us. Give us a chewy baguette or a wonderful seedy brotchen any time.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh! Wonder Bread ! Ugh. Case closed. You are correct..it is not edible.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The meditation garden
Heart 5 Comment 0
A large common area, with piano at one end and the Olympics on a large screen at the other.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Indigenous art.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A coffee shop!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretInteresting to note the people are standing far enough apart, but no one is wearing a face mask..and this IS a hospital…
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThere are still leftover bits of Covid protocols, like social distancing, but even the hospital has signboards indicating only optional use of masks. There are some who prefer to mask in public still, but mostly not.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Wait times can be long, but at least they update people in real time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow's interesting topic: Finding a train in France if you have a bike!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonAn interesting topic, Steve. It's wonderful that the hospital makes it possible for you and Dodie to be with Joni.

Here in a nutshell some of our hospital experiences while traveling. Once in Siem Reap, Cambodia for severe deydration and diarrhea (a luxury hospital for foreigners where you had to pay a horrendous sum up front before they admitted you - later Janos' insurance covered it), Thailand for a sprained back (competent and free), India for a bronchial infection (where we saw the most outdated x-ray equipment you can imagine). The details would be interesting but that would be too much for a comment. At home I have been in the hospital in nearby Starnberg more often than I can count in the past year. The place is beautifully situated, light and airy, friendly, costs covered by my health insurance and the food is edible (not the case in many hospitals). We are always extremely thankful for our medical care here in Germany.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonWow, you have travelled more widely than I knew, and made a tour of exotic hospitals. Interesting, but not the kind of tour we would plan in advance!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John FlecknerWishing you and your family the very best.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo John FlecknerThank you John for your kind wishes.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonWe’ve got our own list of encounters with medical services on tour, all of them positive and all of which come quickly to mind. There’s something about the stress and anxiety and vulnerability of needing help on the road that really imprints on the memory. We’ve invariably been impressed by the quality of care we received as well as the cost. The ones that come immediately to mind:
- 1989, in Nova Scotia, when Rachael woke up scarcely able to breathe a few days after I crashed her coming down from the White Mountains in New England.
- 2010 in Verona, after I tore my quadriceps tendon on a ski trip;
- 2015 in Portland, when Rachael suffered a concussion when she crashed on bike trail;
- 2017 in Foix, when I needed emergency care after an apparent food poisoning episode;
- 2021 on the Mohican reservation in Wisconsin when I needed resuscitation after a debilitating arrhythmia episode.

Even at home we’ve always been blessed to receive excellent medical care (obviously we’re privileged to be able to afford good health insurance); but the experiences in Foix and Verona impressed me the most. Foix especially - I was in their ER all day under observation and on a saline drip, and it wasn’t free. Two months later back home we got a bill for €50, payable online.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThere are probably few, if any, long time cycle tourers who do not have a smattering of hospital experiences. The ones who have really negative ones are probably amongst the unfortunate minority.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago