Day 8: Chaumont to Amboise - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2024

Day 8: Chaumont to Amboise

Heart 0 Comment 0

We know well that cycle touring requires character, with a certain toughness and determination.  And for the young, it will presumably help build these traits.  Since these three Grands are beginners, we worked hard to plan a course that would be possible for them. No more than 35 km daily, no serious hills, lots of pastries. But easy does not mean dead easy, and today nature blended some gentle hills and some light rain into our design. The result was total meltdown, suffered by each one in turn, and punctuated not only by floods of tears but also by some memorable expressions, ranging from the standard "I wanna go home!" to the pithier (when offered a time honoured remedy) "I don't want another fucking gummy bear"

 

Between the farmers' market yesterday and the bakery down the street, we were able to put together a nice breakfast.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Laurie MarczakI am reading today’s entry out loud to Joni and we both had a full on belly laugh about the fucking gummy bears. Memories of the inadequate Salisbury steak meals on bike rides between Jasper and Banff!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakAlways fun to travel with us!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraIt reads as hilarious, but I imagine at the time the meltdowns were not that fun.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We left Chaumont in good order, but rain and some slopes began very soon. The kids did not last long under these conditions.

Gave up on recording all the instances of this.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Gina OrchardAwww… Rainy. Hills. No “break” day. That IS a lot. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight, and tomorrow brings some nicer weather.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardThe tears somewhat mirrored the rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry, and hopefully less drama will ensue.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonI can totally understand how she feels!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonSteve and I are not too bothered by riding in rain but it seemed to have a very demoralizing effect on the kids.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We limped along, actually covering the distance to Amboise in decent time. And one shout out to Amelia - we were pulling off the road for some reason, and she pulled just a little too far, discovering a quite deep ditch disguised by vegetation. Two adults hauled her and the bike out of the ditch, and she carried on, quite bravely!

When we were in Amboise in the spring we had stayed in a hotel in walking distance of the chateau, and of Clos Luce, the final residence of Leonardo da Vinci. But this time they had no space, so we had to reserve at Ibis, 2 km further on and up a bit of a hill. When we arrived at Clos Luce, a chorus of kids wanted to carry on to the hotel, to warm up, before doing the visit. But by the top of the hill, they were really beat, and did not take the news that reception was not open until 4 very well (at all!). And there was some refusal (a lot of refusal)  to go back down that hill. Eventually it did happen, and there were even crepes at the Clos Luce creperie:

Restorative crepes
Heart 6 Comment 2
Gina OrchardThose look fantastic! I hope they truly were restorative for all!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardThey were! Also quite delicious.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Clos Luce is not a chateau, but more like a large stone house - a mini chateau. But it also has lovely grounds, and a river running through. The interior has period furnishings, that perhaps result from a restoration effort that began in 1952. There are displays of Leonardo's workshop, and rooms with models of his many amazing designs. These range from applications of gears and screw designs, to the literal invention of the bicycle, the tank, the machine gun, the parachute, and many more.

Leonardo's cat (descendant of?) asleep on his bed.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Period furnishings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the rooms with models of Leonardo's designs
Heart 3 Comment 0
This tank design exists as a larger model out on the grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One form of machine gun. Leonardo was inbto various forms of weaponry. There was one with rotating banks of barrels, and a steam powered cannon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing conceptualization of the pedal and chain system that we use today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Part of the workshop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A kind of holographic film of Francois I discussing with Leonardo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And of course, Mona Lisa. Mona Lisa was one of three paintings that Leonardo brought along when he came to stay at Clos Luce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the struggle to get here, we are sure the kids got something out of the visit to Clos Luce.
Heart 4 Comment 0

KIDS' TAKE

Joe:

this is a selfy in the morning when i woke up.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Gina OrchardYour picture gave J a big belly laugh!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardHi J, from J. Glad you are following along. Wish you were here.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
this is a propeler that leanardo de vinci invented!
Heart 1 Comment 0
this is a cat (warning cat is real it was on leanado de vincis bed)
Heart 5 Comment 0
this is a nother pic of the pussy cat!!! i am sorry i dont have lots of pics this is becaus 1 the rain 2 i had one bar of battery
Heart 2 Comment 0

Evee and Amelia: Graciously say that although the day was atrocious, they enjoyed cycling with grandparents!

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 144 km (89 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Suzanne GibsonBrave grandparents! I guess some days are better than others. And every cycling experience is going to be a unique one. We have taken teenage grands on trips, not bicycle tours though, and have some insight into the highs and lows. They don't even remember their little rebellions any more.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Carolyn van HoeveWe took our son on a number of bicycle adventures from the age of about 7. He loves recounting the stories but as an adult now, he swears never to get on a bike with us again. It can go either way 😂. You’re doing a great job
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraOne day the kids will look back on this as a great experience! Good life skills and learning about resiliency!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonWow. This brings back so many memories.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraWell, that's what we think also.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonSome of our own kids most memorable meltdowns on family trips from their childhood are now firmly entrenched as family lore. They tell their owns kids about the great times they had on those trips, laughing at their reactions atvtge time.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveThank goodness Josh came with us on this trip. He still cycles at his home and is invaluable in helping keep the adult to child ratio manageable on this trip. Not sure if he would ever care to repeat the experience though.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago