Day 72: Barcelona to Calafell - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2024

Day 72: Barcelona to Calafell

Heart 0 Comment 0

The fact that we have found such a convenient spot to store our bikes in Valencia has us eventually coming back to that city, when the time comes, to end the trip, store the bikes, and head out. That means that to some extent we are prone to repeat parts of the route that we have done before. Last night, when usually it's best to be asleep, Dodie was thinking about what would happen today, and she was worried. That worry was a "no brainer", because the "plan" called for us to cover in a day this time what had taken us two days in the Spring. Further, last year's blog talks about climbing headlands on dangerous no-shoulder roads, suicide passers, and me stopping to take my pulse to ensure that I was still alive. That did not quite sound like the degree of fun we like!  So we made a quick decision and resolved to do another brief walk in Barcelona, and then to hop the train to our destination, the small hilltop town of Calafell.

All through the night (like really, all through) revellers or just general loud talkers had been filtering along the road beneath our window. This gave us the uncomfortable choice of losing the fresh air that comes from an open balcony door  or of having our peace continually disturbed by shouting. We reluctantly chose the shouting. But we were very glad to see that by 8 a.m. even the hardiest of these had been forced to their beds.

From our room, we still enjoyed views of the Gaudi building across the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Out on the Rambla, it was quite a (non)scene, with no one about, save the waiters hoping that a breakfast customer might wander by.  Mostly they were now talking to each other, across the walking way, from one set of tables to another. But it was "fun" testing their performance. I had been saying that if we paused in front of a menu board for 5 seconds, that would draw an invitation from one of them to seat us. But more careful research put this at an average two seconds.  Two seconds is quite a long time, if you are walking and then stop for that length of time. The waiters have a well developed sense of that. That is except for one. We were walking straight down the centre, between the restaurants, and did not pause at all.  Yet he fell in step with us and asked what our breakfast choice was going to be.  I stopped and looked deep into his eyes, saying something discouraging, but I hope polite. I mean, it's not an easy job to have.

Amazingly, not a tourist in sight on the Rambla. But still, don't pause or you will be pounced on by a hidden waiter.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dodie, as always, enjoyed looking up at the balconies and decorated building facades. There are many thousands of photo ops for balconies in this town.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Too bad this gull came out fuzzy. He was quite a character.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we reached the Columbus statue, the light was good for photographing him, and no need to play with exposure compensation. However we began to muse about where exactly he was pointing. Was it just out to sea or to some specific destination?  Out to sea had to be the answer, because Columbus did not even leave from here (and he wasn't even Spanish).  Why then does Barcelona have this giant Columbus monument? Oh, he chose to stop here when he got back! So I guess that makes him another tourist - like us!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed by the America's cup venue again. All was quiet. We could see the ship "Imagine" , which we think shadows the racers, allowing people to see the action.

Imagine
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did also see this sticker, which could have benefitted from a spell checker.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We turned and walked along the waterfront.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Some Monk's Parakeets could be spotted in the palms.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This dramatic giant gamba is now a feature along here.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We may be entering the "gothic" quarter, with these fancy buildings. This is in fact only a former post office.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We carried on, past a bit of old Roman wall, more  and more balconied buildings, and narrow streets.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this tower on a government building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at St James (on the church with his name) trampling an unfortunate Moor, no doubt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We set off for the Sants railway station, again following one of the many large barcelona boulevards. The bike lane down the centre was ok, but not so comfortable.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The train worked out well, with large enough elevators at Sant and a ramp at Calafell. The two steps up into the rail car were not a game changer.

Heart 0 Comment 0

At Calafell we followed a street up to the the square at the top, where our hotel, the Antiga, was to be found.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The Antiga has a small entrance on the square, but a huge garden and pool out behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photos in the lobby, like this one, depict fishing scenes.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonSo is the guy the supervisor? He’s the only one not doing any work.
Reply to this comment
6 hours ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonHaha. Must be!
Reply to this comment
6 hours ago
The garden out back.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We think tomorrow will at least start out with cruising along a flat seaside promenade. That should be good for riders whose bravery is for now at least in question!

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 3,652 km (2,268 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonGood choice today.
Reply to this comment
6 hours ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonSurely greater intelligence must (eventually) come with increasing age.
Reply to this comment
6 hours ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat an optimistic thought! Dream on, Steve.
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago