Day 7: Bracieux to Chaumont - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2024

Day 7: Bracieux to Chaumont

Heart 0 Comment 0

Having tapped into Josh's phone we have some additional photos from yesterday, so let's pick up there.

Coming to Bracieux from the "bush"
Heart 5 Comment 0
The troupe walks in to "somewhere".
Heart 3 Comment 0

Bracieux had a small but nice central square, and we happened into it with a small but nice celebration going on.

Downtown Bracieux
Heart 3 Comment 0

The square featured a creperie and also the Restaurant du Commerce. We wisely chose the latter, since the creperie was full!

There were several animal sculptures like this in front of the restaurant.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The arrangement was an all you can eat buffet, arrayed around three walls of a room. The fare was hearty, quality, French food, but with a lot of sausages (of dubious composition) , and as you see in the photo, moules frites.

Moulers frites, sausages, and lots more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here were salads
Heart 2 Comment 0
and deserts.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The price for the above was 20 euros for adults and 10 euros for children. That is very reasonable by current French standards.

While we were still in Blois, Josh and kids nipped out to meet up with Jenn Quinn, an old family friend. Here is the meetup photo, which will be of interest to those who know the family, or Jenn, or both.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Laurie MarczakOh hey! I know Jen! That’s awesome you all got to meet up with her.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

This will become a bit of an old story, but within minutes of setting off this morning, we hit our first boulangerie. We slammed on the brakes and parked just down the road. 

Bakery parking
Heart 2 Comment 0

Also an old story is the array of amazing, delicious stuff on offer.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The treasures are loaded up.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Of course, goodies like this can power you a certain distance, but then there is the well known energy crash. Breakfast had also been of high quality, but only the French standard of crossants, pain au chocolate, and juice. No bacon or eggs or cheese or milk in that list.  So it only took 11 km for the kids to announce that they had had it. 

Dad, I'm beat!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0

Josh countered this a bit with ham and cheese from the sandwiches we had planned for lunch, and before too long, we were back on the road.

Back on the road!
Heart 8 Comment 3
Michel FleuranceI always imagine that sun flowers are like a big crowd of people staring at you. You can stop, stand in front of them, get their attention ... unfortunatly, you will soon notice that some '' flowers '' are not even listening to you, they even turn their head in the opposite direction !
Hey, Joe seems to talk to a bunch of them.

Do you know why crops, wheat, corn etc ... have a smaller size when located on the edge of the fields ?
Same question applies to trees in the forest. Why are the trees smaller on the edges, taller in the forest center ?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceInteresting.......not sure why, but we have certainly noticed this phenomenon.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Michel FleuranceTo Steve Miller/GrampiesLa clé : photosynthèse. Les végétaux en bordure poussent moins car ils reçoivent suffisamment de lumière que ceux situé au milieu du champ qui s'élève à la recherche de la lumière..

Yvon, un ami cycliste retraité ONF (Office National des Forêts) , nous précise sa réponse et nous parle du phototropisme, capacité qu'on les plantes à s'orienté vers la lumière parce l'auxine, hormone de croissance se concentre dans la partie de la plante la plus ensoleillée, sa partie apicale, le somment de la plante

L'auxine, une hormone végétale, est un de ces signaux et contrôle notamment quand et où la plante produit de nouvelles feuilles et fleurs. Les feuilles et les fleurs sont formées l'une après l'autre à l'extrémité des tiges en croissance par un petit groupe de cellules appelé méristème apical caulinaire.

Extracted from : https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?o=3eM&pic_id=4468572&size=large&v=1
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

At Cande sur Beuvron, we ran into a crossroads with a park and benches, restaurant, bakery, and lots of cyclists taking a break.  We grabbed a table for six at the restaurant, and set about finding some protein, especially for Amelia.  I went for a burger, and had the familiar animated chat with a French waitress about exactly how "burnt" I wanted that burger to be. Not "au point", eh, but carbonized! This time , the lady and I agreed that the point of doneness was just before the fireman (pompier) would come.

Where's the beef!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonAmelia sounds like me, protein is very important especially bicycle touring!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonShe does better with enough protein, fruits and veggies. Probably most do, but France is so heavy on carbs, especially at breakfast.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Ok not this, this is just a beetle that Evee found out on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltPossibly a female European stag beetle.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/61749-Lucanus-cervus/browse_photos?place_id=6753
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltI see why you said female. Most individuals pictured in the link have big pincers!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
My burger and fries
Heart 1 Comment 0
Really fresh salad
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chopped steak for Amelia, almost gone already.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are off again!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We arrived in Chaumont, where it honestly took the combined talents of the three adults to find and enter the Airbnb type apartment (house, really) that we had reserved. It was the typical horror show of phoning the owner to find out where the place was and how to get in (as usual, a multi-part process). Once in, we spotted only one bed, and it took research to uncoverr the secret doors, leading to the upstairs, with tons more beds and space. In the end, it was really fine!

Dodie and Josh left me to fend the children off all the cookies and such, which they found the farmers' market, returning with fresh string beans, grapes, potatoes, BBQ chicken and pork, and such. Despite all the cookies the kids had scored, they fell on and devoured these supplies as well!

Dodie and Josh found the market very good and interesting, so we all set off for a look. I brought my camera and so did Joe. Frankly, Joe is such a good shooter that I do not need to bother uploading my own shots!

THE KID'S TAKE

Joe 

This is a cow in the perfect pose

Heart 6 Comment 0
This is a white horse
Heart 6 Comment 0
Me at a resterant
Heart 5 Comment 0
Horsy people
Heart 4 Comment 0
Me in the rental place
Heart 5 Comment 0
we arrive in the market and there is meat
Heart 3 Comment 0
potatos
Heart 4 Comment 0
fish
Heart 2 Comment 0
ice cream
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonYou definitely need ice cream!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonWe feel that ice cream is an essential food group, especially when travelling with children.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
putine (from montreal)
Heart 2 Comment 0
what the sings say
Heart 0 Comment 0
apple juice
Heart 1 Comment 0
melone
Heart 4 Comment 0
carrots and
Heart 3 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceVery good for health to picture a lot of vegetable in your blog
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceTrue but even better to eat them!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
bubble tea
Heart 4 Comment 0

And finally, no words right now, just this gesture from Evee:

Heart 7 Comment 2
Gina OrchardAn excellent way to end a day :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardLove is always a good way to begin or end the day. Doesn't hurt in the middle either.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 112 km (70 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Annette SchneiderYou are very brave and generous grandparents, and it's great that Josh is along to help. Between her junior and senior high school years, I took my daughter to Europe, where we traveled a la Eurailpass for a month. First stop was England, where among other places, we visited Windsor. As we walked past a travel agency, my daughter pleaded that we should go in to get her a ticket back home to her boyfriend. Well, we did last for the month, even though she acted like she was being tortured for the first week. Later, I overheard her telling her friends how she loved that trip. Kids, right?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Annette SchneiderYou are perceptive. Without Josh organizing three kids would be quite a strain. Also in descending age order (13,11,10) right now the trip rates as torture, neutral, and great!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonAnother wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gina OrchardWow! So much fun is getting packed in! I LOVE the kiddo’s addition to the posts 💕 Joe - your photography is really coming along! Nice framing and excellent lighting! Love to you all! xo
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardI (Dodie) tried to plan for as many fun activities as could be fit in between cycling time.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago