Day 43: Huy to Profondeville - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2024

Day 43: Huy to Profondeville

We want to thank all the people who have sent us words of condolence and encouragement about Joni, both here in the blog and by email, Whatsapp, and Facebook. It is helping us a lot, to process this event that has left such a hole in our lives, despite the length of time we had to prepare for it. 

One possible reason for being unprepared is that Joni had cheated death several times before. But as it happened, she grew weaker with each challenge. 

Many have commented on the contribution Joni made to the world, after her diagnosis (not to mention before it). It was truly remarkable.  But one other thing we were thinking today was about the grace with which Joni absorbed the blows that were sent her way. She never complained about her fate, and in fact she was so cool about dealing with the  horrendous evolution of the cancer, that she sort of fooled us all into thinking she would always be there, soldiering on. It helps to explain why this hit us (her parents, family, and friends) that hard, despite how terribly weak she had become, and why the support of everyone has been so appreciated. 

Please do not feel bad if we do not answer all the comments and messages individually, but you can be sure that we have read and appreciated each and every one!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Starting with the approaches to Liege, we have found the French speaking part of Belgium (Wallonia) to be quite grotty. This applies to the buildings, to litter on the ground, and to the distressing inattention to bicycle infrastructure. This impression, formed yesterday, continued today except that there were some notable exceptions.

The first would be the house we stayed in last night. The street beyond its front gate was to be sure very plain. But the house and the gardens inside the gate were both old and elegant.

Our street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The house, on the non street side.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stairs to our room
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was also true that in the morning sun, and with the water calm in the windless air, the buildings on the river looked attractive.

The river this morning.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We passed through the town of Huy itself, and got a mixed bag. There was no central square or organizing theme to the streets, but some perspectives were handsome enough.

In Huy
Heart 1 Comment 0
By city hall, Huy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Huy had a probably attractive church, but it was hidden behind dull buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Huy and continued up the river. We were treated to some lovely river views, but also lots of industrial views. It's not right to grouse about the industry, because after all ours is not an organized tourist excursion, and we are passing through all parts of the country and not just those curated for their attractiveness. Industry, traffic, and all that are after all necessary for the people's survival.

A muted riverside scene.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even this bridge and refinery (?) are fairly attractive with the calm water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A village on the opposite bank.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I am missing a photo to really show it, but for a great distance the river was canalized with tall concrete walls on either side. Any slip up along this edge would mean about a ten foot fall to the water's surface, and quite a struggle to find one of the ladders build in to the wall. This had us clinging to the non water side of the path, and stopping to let any cyclists pass. It made us nervous to be even cycling over on the side, leading us to think about irrational fears, and what kind of conditioning would be needed to fix them. Strangely, when a yellow line appeared in the road but closer to the dangerous edge, we could happily cycle along that. We are conditioned to riding along a line in the road, even when "certain death" lies a couple of feet beyond it in the form of heavy traffic.

We really appreciated this path to the left, even though at this point there was no steep drop to the river on the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys think the concrete edge is just fine.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Whereas in Netherlands the river was running with broad bands of farmland and pasture on either side, here it is effectively in a gorge, with steep cliffs often hemming it in, and building often limited to streets just one deep along the river.

Steep cliffs, with just a few buildings sandwiched in.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Cliffs rising behind a factory of some sort.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we cycled along, an oncoming cyclist flitted by Dodie but picked up on the Camino Santiago sticker on my handlebar bag. She stopped, because she too had been to Santiago de Compostella. We had a hurried confab, because Dodie was sailing on oblivious into the distance. As you see in the photo, the lady had several Camino stickers on her bike. It also figures for this region as we are on Eurovelo 5, known as the Francigena pilgrim route Canterbury to Rome. It still has lots of Camino signage, so maybe there is a split somewhere with people heading to Spain vs Italy.

The Camino lady.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is one attractive house, with cliff behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cliffs and forest to the water's edge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the conical tower in the trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the approach to Namur, we noticed this rather attractive industrial building. It seems to be a former mill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the buildings on the far shore were rather nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of barges parked on our side. They sort of would keep us from falling over the edge, but you can see Dodie is still clinging left.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached Namur, which is at the confluence of the Meuse and the Sambre. The photo below shows the famous citadel, but somehow we never saw it again, as we entered and toured the city.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I was interested in having a look at Namur, since I think we have passed it twice before, but never looked into it. Dodie developed an instant dislike of the place, I think mainly because she saw absolutely no cycle paths there on her GPS. Our favourite app, GPSMyCity, did have some coverage of the place, but it was a stripped down version that we did not quite understand how to use. Consequently we cycled in circles for a bit and gave up early.

Grampies' confused tour of Namur
Heart 0 Comment 0
A street in Namur. Don't miss the Doner Hut!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This former trade exchange building was also once the seat of government for Wallonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this point quite a few times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
City Hall, I think. The building beside is currently just the facade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We liked the colours and design of this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were lots of walking streets and shops, with swarms of people, most of whom (by their management of themselves on the street) seemed to have never seen a bicycle before. We ourselves saw no more than two cycles here in our whole visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The UNESCO listed bell tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here is the confluence of the Sambre and the Meuse. We considered eating at a restaurant just opposite, but the tables out by where we could have parked and watched our bikes were said to be for drinking only (?).
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did finally figure out our app, and could have found some more of the Namur sights, but we were by then hot and rather fed up. So we just charged on up the river.

We passed "Dave" (which is no relation to that guy in the Cheech and Chong skit) and its chateau. From Wikipedia: Dave Castle, also known as Fernan-Núñez Castle (French: Château de Dave, Château Fernan-Núñez) is a château in the village of Dave, Wallonia, also known as Dave-sur-Meuse, now a part of the city of Namur, Belgium.The château stands on the banks of the Meuse. It was originally a medieval structure, the centre of power of the influential sieurs de Dave, but was ruined in the 17th century, and re-constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries by the Dukes of Fernan-Nuñez, whence the alternative name.
Heart 3 Comment 0

(For those who don't know what I am talking about re Dave, click here.)

A look at Dave
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got to Profondeville really early, despite our spin around Namur. Check in at the chambre d'hotes was only at 4 at the earliest, something made clear in an email they sent us. So we hung out by the river, and I had a nap in the grass.  Like our place last night, our room or rooms are in the attic and with interesting woodwork and rickety wooden floors. We also notice, with some trepidation, the Ardennes hills, so close behind the house.

Hills behind tonight's stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,078 km (1,290 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Dave’s not here.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinGlad someone "got it". Dodie didn't.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago