Day 42: Maastricht to Huy - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2024

Day 42: Maastricht to Huy

Heart 0 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraI sure hope you're going through Dinant and Fumey.....The Ardennne is beautiful.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraDinant is on tomorrow's ride. Not sure about Fumey.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

As we left the hotel, the expected market was setting up in the market square. This had figured in our breakfast plan, but it was not to be. The first four vendors were large fish sellers - no help there. Half of the remaining dealers were selling clothes, and then there was a florist and a spring bulb seller. That left only one, with fruits and veggies. We did not quite feel like breakfasting only on grapes and asparagus, so to speak, so we were off again to Albert Heijn.

From here to the end in this shot, it's fish!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretKibbeling is good protein!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
This is starting to look good, but it's just fruits and flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If you are in to Spring bulbs, this is of course the place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the street, by city hall, it's all clothes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here I am in front of Albert Heijn again. Looking at the photo, here is what I see:

  • Because this is downtown in an old city, there are no giant window and sliding doors for the supermarket. Even so, it is quite big inside.
  • The blue tires on the bikes are front wheel only. I have no idea why.
  • Most of the parked bikes were totally basic, with no gears and coaster brakes.
  • The man in black was a beggar. He asked me for one euro, but like the Pope I actually have no coins, so I could truthfully tell him that I had nothing.
  • I noticed that the man was not walking all that well, and wondered what his life story was.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretBlue tire is “Swapfiets”..long term rental company.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThank you. We, well Steve really, I didn't notice until I read the blog, wondered why there were two colours of tire on so many bikes.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Here is Dodie now packing up the treasures she found inside. See all the parked bikes. If those had had to be cars, this grocery store service would not have worked well downtown. Someone had given the man in black five euros, and he departed with it at high speed - faster than I thought he was capable of. I hope he was not off to buy cigarettes!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are off now, through the now familiar streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although Netherlands is generally flat, especially in the north where land was reclaimed from the sea, there are one or two hills. One is at Maastricht, where there is quite a significant one called Saint Petersburg. The Dutch built a fort there, to fend off the French. The French sacked the city in 1673, and consequently a stronger fort was built. The French attacked again in 1793, with 15,000 men, but the fort was impregnable, and 4,500 Dutch fended off the attack.

The fort atop the mountain. It is actually hexagonal.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The mountain also hosted the largest mine in Netherlands, and open pit for limestone. Chalk was also quarried there, resulting in a network of tunnels that can still be visited today.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The open pit mine is now a nature preserve, but just out of the shot are the large and ugly cement works.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The soft stone of the area, used for building, has been fertile territory for graffiti carvers. Patrick in Roermond told us about this, and suggested we could put Joni's name somewhere. In town, we didn't want to deface any buildings, but this was a good spot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dodie used a "heritage" nail file she got from her mother.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Joni is immortalized atop the highest mountain in Netherlands. Not exactly Everest, but it's something!
Heart 6 Comment 1
Laurie MarczakI will like to travel here myself someday and see if I can find this spot…
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
In case we or others want to find the inscription, it's just to the right of the portal in the photo.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Somewhere before Liege a man ste3pped in front of us on the path and started up a conversation. We enjoyed talking to him, because it was a point of contact with a local person, but also he reminded us of Dodie's dad, Walter, and we could listen to Walter for hours. The man told us of his life working in the Maastricht mine and cement works, including how he was put on shipping, because he could speak German. And he described how his four bothers and one sister had all moved to Canada. One who had gone to Toronto came back, because of the harsh winter. We wondered later why he had not simply followed the sister, who was in Vancouver - land of rain, but not snow. After cautioning us to be careful around Liege, the man carried on with his walk. At 82, his daily circuit was about 4 km.

A sweet and interesting local walker.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Shortly after our chat with the walker, it was time to cross a bridge. As bridges often do, this one rose to a peak in the middle before descending on the other side. I think Dodie pushed up the slope for a bit, before deciding to ride the rest. She mounted her bike and seemed to steer straight into the guard rail on the left. Over she went, on top of the bike but with one leg under it. Interestingly the night before we had been looking at the still bruised leg from the slow motion crash that happened just after the kids went home, on the Loire, and speculating how long it would take to totally clear up. Whatever that calculation was (I had been suggesting 6 months) it is not confounded by events today, because Dodie wrenched her left shoulder this time, leaving the leg to heal in peace.

Is Dodie blaming her bike for this steering malfunction? No, but we had to do some careful realignment of the bar, that had become twisted.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakYes, but other than a large bruise to my upper left arm I am just fine. Really!!!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

As we began to approach Liege, we had a brief natural encounter, with a White Wagtail:

Heart 0 Comment 0

But thereafter it really was a mess. The path wound its way through varies kinds of industry, and fairly ugly brick row housing. There was often construction or other obstructions on the path, forcing us to find ways around, and there was an inordinate amount of dismounting and mounting the bikes.

You had to judge the safest moment to sneak beside this swinging arm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The arm was unloaded quartz from a barge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal was lined with barges and other miscellaneous often decrepit boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boats here were not in good shape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The surroundings in general.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did also run into a pair of nice Egyptian geese.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nearing Liege, the canal had this large statue, out in the middle of the channel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What it looked like, about 7 km from Liege.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just about at Liege, the far bank was lined with unattractive buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, with one nice one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A row of some of the nicer buildings on the far bank is totally marred by a looming monstrosity behind them,
Heart 0 Comment 0
One building in the row had interesting fachwerk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we drew abreast of central Liege, on the far bank from us, we searched for any heritage structures of interest. Here are our two photo attempts at that:

Liege
Heart 1 Comment 0
Liege
Heart 2 Comment 0

But generally Liege was a mess. Our side of the river looked like the two photos that follow:

Heart 0 Comment 0
Although you do see some bike lane markings, in general Liege had haphazard and often missing attention to bicycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the bike path often could look like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did spot this, the Basilica of the Sacred heart, on the way out of Liege.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next four shots depict the scene on the far side of Liege, before Flemalle. It was all fairly urban riding, with lots of traffic, and scouting around for the route.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traffic!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Opposite Flemalle. We think we may have stayed in one of those buildings last year.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The place up on the hill appears to be a ruin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed a couple of presumably nuclear plants along the way. Belgium, like France, seems to be into nuclear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The towers are big, close up. They have no photos signs around the place, but they are not keeping us back from the facilities at all.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Huy, like the rest of this region, entirely lacks charm. But we did find at least these two buildings and one statue.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Our chambre d'hote presented a very plain face to the street. But the door opened to a large garden area, and our room is in the attic of a house from 1720. The broad, cracked, and creaky floorboards are fun, as are the dark beams.  And hey, there is a bathtub. That's where I'm going now!

Our digs in Huy.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretAND! A steamer trunk :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 2,029 km (1,260 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0