Day 4: Nantes - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2024

Day 4: Nantes

Nantes from our room this morning. Although Nantes does have a bit of an old town, these buildings more fairly represent what the place is like.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had heard little bits about the difficulties the kids had had getting out of Montreal, due to some sort of hurricane (Debby).  We also learned that the problem Westjet had had getting us to and out of Calgary was due to hail, or something that had damaged planes and the runway. But all that seemed behind, as the kids landed at Nantes and easily found a taxi straight to where we had arranged to meet. Just like that, the team came together!

We already had our bike reservations set up for the trains along the Loire, and we sent Dodie and Joe into the station to buy the actual tickets. It went very well, so we feel set for at least the train portions of the plan. That plan calls for us to train tomorrow late afternoon to Blois. We will then cycle back down the river, to Angers, and train again to Nantes. With six bikes, there can be no just shoving them into a corridor, so this train based plan depends on the scheme la Loire a Velo has developed for moving bikes up and down the river. We'll see!

Our next step was to walk about 1/2 km to Paulette, the company from which we had arranged to rent the needed four bikes. We found the staff there very good, both in attending to the bike maintenance and in fitting the kids. They also supplied locks, repair parts, and some very large panniers. We had planned lots of time to get the bikes right, and this paid off. Amelia's size was sort of intermediate, and the first bike given her made her nervous because only toes could touch the ground. We swapped her out for a smaller bike that turned out to be perfect.

The kids and Josh made it, and we easily found each other.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Joe and Dodie went to buy the train tickets we'll need during the trip.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretIf the tickets don’t work, the bread bribe will ;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
They got the tickets, and baguettes to boot!
Heart 7 Comment 0

At the bike rental, it was important to fit just the right size.

Joe had no problem.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This choice was a bit too big for Amelia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yes, not secure enough feeling on the tip toes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We will have to find a smalleer frame!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Let's get all set up and adjusted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The whole team is ready to go.
Heart 12 Comment 1
Michel FleuranceWe will see you very soon today ...
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Our first expedition was of two blocks, to a bakery along the bikeway. This was a terrific confidence building  thing - a little cycling and a big reward. When we got to the bakery we just walked in and began to make our choices. But soon we felt quite pressured by others, and yes, when we exited we saw that a giant line had formed. We must have just hit lunchtime for some nearby offices. But, the quality was superb, and our spirits continued to climb.

Within a block we hit a bakery. We were lucky to get in before these folks. See more iconic Nantes buildings in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Josh has his hands full. Six people is a lot!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Meanwhile the kids are care free in a nearby park.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We set off again, heading for the hotel. Nantes is a good cycling city, with bike lanes everywhere. But even with bike lanes, dangers can lurk. In the photo below you see the option of leaving the left bike lane and proceeding on the sort of sidewalk. The transition has a very slight little ramp. Very slight is often  trouble, and this one sent Evee flying!

See the transition?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately for Evee, I was the first responder on this one. In my approach, I verified that she had nothing broken, and  suggested she could limp and lean on the bike for a few steps, and then let's get on with it!

Let's get on with it, Evee?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fortunately for Evee, next along was Grandma, the nurse.   First step was a comforting hug. Next, washing the wound. And since the nurse seems to have a first aid kit in her back pocket at all times, there was antibiotic cream and big strong dressing.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally there was Dad. Josh checked whether Evee still had the strength to carry on.  Since the answer was yes, the expedition continued.

Here is the expedition approaching the hotel, shot from Josh's position.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We haved made it to Le Spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Le Spot has a great communal room with tables, and some kitchen equipment. We used this to enjoy opur finds from the bakery. It was then my idea to go out again, toe Nante's "Jardin des Plantes", because I know there are birds there (mostly ducks and geese).

But first, Evee was in need of earings, to keep her piercings from closing. Fort this we ventured onto Nantes Island, the same large island where tomorrow we will search out the famous Machines workshop. This bit had a little more traffic, or perhaps it was a little more complexity in the way the bike lanes wove around, passing through roundabouts (rond points). The kids, though, did fine in this.

The Jardin des Plantes is just north of the train station, and it is not that easy to get past the tracks. We found ourselves moving six bikes down and then up stairs. Somebody came offered me a hand (coup de main) with mine, and though I fancy myself strong, it was much appreciated. 

At the Jardin, they did have ducks and geese!

Ruddy Shelducks
Heart 2 Comment 0
Common Shelduck
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bar Headed Goose
Heart 1 Comment 0
And oh, plants as well!
Heart 2 Comment 0

                                                            THE KIDS' TAKE

Joe:

(Dictated to Steve by Joe) I tried to take a good photo of Grandpa Steve, but in action he sneezed!

Heart 5 Comment 0

I tried to retake the photo, and I gave him a baguette to hold to add some French style.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The first time I ever took a photo with us on bikes turned out successfully.

Heart 6 Comment 0

This was my first time at the Jardin des Plantes, and I got this amazing photo of a duck hiding in a bush.

Heart 2 Comment 0

This is a quite blurry photo but that is because I took it from across two little ponds, very far away, so I am not ashamed of it. Instead, I am impressed.

Heart 3 Comment 0

I think I had a very good day, but I did scrape myself two times (though not on a bike).

Evee:

(Written by Evee, she did all the computer work in this section by herself)   i feel like it is going to be a good trip, but i do not have any delite in all of the scary cars trying to not heart us but it really is terafing

   Today i hade a good day, i did not sleep at all last night cas i was to exited for today. When we finaly saw our grandparents i was even more exited. Then we got our bikes and started the day

    After about 4 min i fell and really heart myself . After a while of breathing with myself i felt i bit better .

   Grandma got me and ami a nice per of gold earings.

My new earrings have twined hearts.
Heart 7 Comment 0

   She also got us some tasty ice cream . She really is the best !

                                                       LOVE EVE    

    

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 26 km (16 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Don SkerikHi Steve caught up with your latest adventure. Looks like a lot of fun. Say hi to Dodie. I enjoy your comments and photos.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Sue PriceI agree with Evee - Dodie, you are the best!!!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Andrea BrownI love hearing from the kids. The earrings are rad.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceAwww, thanks. D
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownEvee examined many different earrings before choosing these. They really are great!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a day! We have all been waiting for it. I hope the grands continue to add their impressions of the day, they are wonderful!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Marvin PaxmanI agree with Suzanne , love hearing from the kids 🧒
Reply to this comment
2 months ago