Day 37: Kerkdriel to Cuijk - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2024

Day 37: Kerkdriel to Cuijk

Now includes the Big Bang!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our host, Paul, at the Sientjes "hotel" was wonderfully welcoming and helpful. He also turned out to be a good chef, as he came up with a breakfast featuring really nicely presented yogurt with many kinds of fresh fruit, a plate with many kinds of cheese, one with many kinds of meat, and so forth. He also provided a variety of doggy bags, and invited us to carry away whatever we were not immediately eating. So  nice.

Sientjes. Paul got his chance to become the owner when the previous one failed due to COVID.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Cycling today was a continuation of the very pleasing pattern of the past days in Netherlands - perfect, paved bicycle paths, verdant green farms with many animals, the river and many ferries to take, and super cute little towns filled with super cute little houses.  And throughout we were doing this with very many other cyclists, and very few cars to worry about. 

Netherlands!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clean, straight, green cycleways
Heart 2 Comment 0

Often, we were riding atop the dike. In these cases, the slope of the dike was managed by sheep. And beyond there would often be cows. The photo below shows the arrangement.

Sheep and cows, in that order.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here below is the typical ferry we took today. They coast a little under 3 euros for both of us , but we needed four crossings to follow the Maas route.

Heart 3 Comment 0
A shiny tractor crosses, with its load.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was just a private house, but I liked the steeple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I also liked these sheep with the curly horns. We have seen goats like this, but never sheep!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The river had all sorts of boats on it. Here are two quite different sailing versions:

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 4
Kathleen ClassenOptimists! The way thousands of kids the world over (including our boys) are introduced to sailing.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenYou tell us this every time we see them, and we never rememmber. Probably because we are not sailors. And never will be. Dodie especially is afraid of being in or on water.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTell Dodie I will teach her to swim if she will navigate a route for me !
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretI know how to swim, I just am not at all keen on things on or around water.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Churches by and large are quite plain here, but the steeples can be attractive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steeple at Cuijk
Heart 2 Comment 0

This wouldn't be Netherlands without windmills, and there certainly were a few along the way:

Heart 2 Comment 0
This one was at Lith
Heart 3 Comment 0

Among the cute houses were ones with really nice hedges. Hedges for some reason (along with stone walls) are something not much seen around our place. It's amazing how they get them so fine and dense here!

Hedges!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This house was so bold as to put the hedge in the air! (Note all the Hydrangea as well!)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Also on the nice house theme, we have the one below. I like the photo because it is self documenting about where the shot was taken.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Another look at that place!
Heart 3 Comment 0

At one spot the little ferry took us to something of an island. Dodie told the ferry man that we were heading for knopuunt 16, and he seemed to drive us along the island a bit toward that spot.

Looks like going to be a cruise!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maybe a Shoveller by the boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took off along the island. I think maybe we did cross back, before running into our first big adventure of the day, at Megen. (I have almost no internet as I am writing this, and so can not check details, like even that town name.)
Heart 0 Comment 0

What we ran into was a re-enactment of a cannon firing, and also a demonstration of old time crafts, like blacksmithing and bullet making, with people in period costume, representing the time of William of Orange - 17th century. The man shown below was blocking the road, because the cannon was about to fire.

Heart 2 Comment 0

When the cannon did fire, the bang was louder than expected. Very impressive!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The cannon was actually aimed at the house of the captain of this artillery unit. Fortunately they were not adding any cannon balls, though they had one on hand! 

I asked about the safety of the hundreds of years old cannon, and they admitted that while cannon are usually supposed to have a log of all firings, this had been lost to time. Even so, they had the thing tested, and using 1 kg of powder. In these demos they are only using 1/3 kilo, so it should be safe.

We should be able to take out that house!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretEspecially if you don’t get along with your neighbors 😬
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Here comes the fife (or recorder, maybe) and drum!
Heart 4 Comment 2
marilyn swettYes, that's a soprano recorder. A fife would look like a small flute and blown on the side rather than the top. What a cool experience to find along the road! We came across re-enactments a couple times on our tours.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo marilyn swettWe tend to stumble across these kinds of events quite often. It is always a delightful surprise.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Melting lead and making bullets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Those bullets look big!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This lady was trying to melt candle wax on a wood fire, but needed to blow harder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie discussed military strategy with the commander. Note the muskets at the ready!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small mob arrives.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dodie shoots the breeze with two of the period ladies.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretIt really was fun.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago

I made a video of the cannon going bang, but I think there is not enough internet to upload that just now. Maybe later... Ok, how about this?

In the little adjacent town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we left town, we ran into several types of livestock:

Belted cattle
Heart 2 Comment 0
Really a lot of sheep on the dike side.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Acrobatic goat
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ostrich? Emu?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe juvenile ostrich?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

For our next adventure, at the town of Grave we passed a memorial to the battle over the nearby bridge. Paratroopers had landed here in 1944, but many missed the spot. The remainder fought for and secured the bridge. On Tuesday, we learned, a parashoot re-enactment will take place. It will be the 17th of September, the exact 80th anniversary. 

The John s. Thompson Maas bridge at Grave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The harbour at Grave
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the town, a road was being blocked off by this man in yellow. The reason was that a commemorative marching band was about to pass. As we talked to the man, he stooped down to pick up a cruxifix that had fallen from a chain around his neck. He was upset to almost lose it, because he said he had had it for many years. Dodie amazingly and deftly whipped out a needle nosed pliers and said "Here, squeeze that clasp shut".
Heart 5 Comment 0

The man also told us he was actually from Yuma, Arizona, but had been here 30 or 40 years. As we can now do for so many spots, we said "Yeah, we cycled by Yuma", resulting in a discussion comparing there to here (similar in some respects!).

Here comes the band!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting ready to leave Grave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windmill (of course) across the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Linden we spotted another of those "in the air hedges"!
Heart 1 Comment 3
Karen PoretThe “ hedge in the air”, is a type of fly break. There are usually trees planted near a farm house window to keep the bugs away from the house.
If the hedge break is for another reason, I would like to know!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretDid not know that. How did you know?
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt was one of the first things I learned on a cycle trip in the Netherlands about 10 years ago.

I am glad I remembered!!

I am in Oldenburg, Germany now.. first day of partial sun in 12 days!!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago

At last we arrived at Cuijk, and our Hotel Taurus. It was a little after 4 p.m. We had received a message from Taurus to say that our room would be ready from 3 p.m.  Dodie went in to register, and she was in a very long time. I almost went to see what happened. What had happened was that the room was not ready, not even started to be readied.  Still, we dragged our stuff up to beside the room, to be ready when it would be ready. Yet the man who was supposed to be working on it did not show up, for a while. When he did show up, he said he was busy and would get to it pretty soon. Dodie lost her cool and told him not good enough. He lost his cool, and said fine, then he wouldn't do it at all.

In the square at Cuijk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Taurus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our stuff waits by the room door, for no cleaning staff to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Consequently we flounced off - to another place in town. This of course triggered lots of frustrating interaction with Booking.com about the necessary refund. (Actually the Taurus handed our money back in cash - what we need is the cost difference between that and the new place we found.)

Cuijk is still a cute place. Not so cute was the Taurus, its only (sort of) hotel. We landed in a nice BnB instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,750 km (1,087 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Gregory GarceauI've seen a couple cannon demonstrations and have always wondered why it takes so long to fire off a shot. Hopefully the original militiamen were a little faster--especially if an invading army was quickly moving in.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gregory GarceauCannon loading was probably always a slow process, although the loaders probably improved with practice (if they didn't get blown up first). The noise was incredible. We can only imagine the horror of a battlefield with these things being fired off from both sides.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Bill ShaneyfeltBeing a retired explosives safety guy, the cannon firing brought back memories! "Fire in the hole!" is yelled front, then back, then left then right, or whatever order just before touching it off.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago