Day 26: Rouen to Aumale - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2024

Day 26: Rouen to Aumale

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had passed by the Jeanne d'Arc church downtown yesterday, and noticed its bizarre modern design. It did not attract us to go in then, but a little further research did indicate that it has some cool 16th century stuff inside. Too bad for today though, since it would not open until 10. We contented ourselves with just looking at the streets as we made our way out of town. There are in fact a number of famous and beautiful streets, and we definitely had not and did not hit them all.

Near our hotel, this half timber building is a little tilty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The buildings on the right are pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took this shot because it contains a branch of the despicable CCF bank on the corner. We considered waiting until opening time for the fun of going in to shout at them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rue Beauvoisine is said to be one of the oldest in Rouen. An info board mentioned house numbers and their histories.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There must be a long story for this one, on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we were out of downtown, we began the vigil for the fields and open roads. It's the same in any big town, you search for the historic centre on the way in, and you search for the open road on the way out. We are just mentioning it here because it seemed to take a very long time to find that open space.

About 5 km from downtown, I took this shot, to illustrate the nondescript area we were passing through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some kms later, I took this shot. It looks much like the one before!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perhaps a dozen km from downtown we began to see daylight. This shot, though, was mainly to note the Citroen Ami, two seater electric car. Since mentioned that we have seen few of them, we have seen lots more. Thanks, Keith Klein, for pointing out that they are by Citroen and not Renault (who have the Twizzy and the electric Zoe).
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezGoogle says a top speed of 28 mph.

I think it looks cute!

My daughter had a Smart car. She said it was fun for a couple of weeks, and then she got tired of being an attraction everywhere she went. The car itself worked well for her needs, but she got tired of answering questions. Perhaps it compares a little to being a recumbent rider! There's no blending into the background.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kelly IniguezIt would certainly stand out, or maybe blend in to the background. We have never seen one this small at home, although we have come accross a few smart cars. Answering uq's every time you go out can get a little old very quickly.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We finally did get onto some narrow, open roads.
Heart 2 Comment 0
But we hit places like St Andre sur Cailly, that were not inspiring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Cailly proper was also not much. It seemed to feature 19th century industrial age brick buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did at last get to the wide open fields, looking like this. It was by then 30 km out of Rouen.
We did at last get to the wide open fields, looking like this. It was by then 30 km out of Rouen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Out  by an open field, we came across a strip of flowers. It was strange to see it in the middle of nowhere - not decorating a house, and seemingly not a planting for seed. But we, and the butterflies, really appreciated it.

Flowers in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
These wildflowers are courtesy of a government program which subsidizes planting fallow ground. Everybody likes them, even the farmers, but there’s a movement afoot to eliminate the program in the name of budget reduction. Sic transit gloria mundi.
Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinJust goes to show that the best programs, that are universally popular are always the first to be cut.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 6 Comment 0

We are, of course, always looking at the field crops, guessing what they are, and assessing how they are doing. The one below was a mystery, until we actually walked up to it.

Could not identify this from the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But yes, soy beans. We do think the white ones from the other day were not soy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We leave the soy beans to continue drying.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our route did not bring us many towns, and definitely no bakeries. I was hopeful, though, when we entered Ste Genevieve. But no, just a church.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, a church with a slightly unique turret.
Heart 0 Comment 0

One thing, we had been seeing the word "mesnil" attached to place names quite a bit, and this meant nothing to us. So I put it to Google Translate, and it had no idea. We rolled along wondering about it, until we encountered a local couple walking in the road. We put the question to them about what does "mesnil" mean, and they assured us it meant nothing. However, they were quick to point out the Mesnil Mauger was nearby. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Well now that I am sitting with time and my big computer, I can offer this, from wiki:

"The name "Mesnil" comes from Latin: mansionilis meaning "little estate". The name "Le Mesnil-le-Roi" could be said "The King's small estate" (Francis I)."

Our attention was drawn from fine points like latin origins of French words as we realized that we had been climbing and climbing. It didn't take much intelligence to figure this out, because first of all the landscape looked like this:

Heart 0 Comment 0

And next, the bikes (Dodie's especially) were beginning to threaten to go on strike.  In fact it was clear that unless we walked up all the coming hills, the bikes would die. Since my bike had a little more power and I am a little stronger anyway, we took to sending me ahead, where I would scout out the territory, and also not make Dodie nervous as she laboured to push her bike.

It was during one of my waits up ahead that I watched two baby Charolais "horsing around" in the field. They were butting heads, and chasing each other.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hey, you two, play nice!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here is Dodie now arriving to where the Charolais were frolicing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we approached Conteville, Dodie was getting really exhausted. I had been watching Google Maps, and could see that 90, then 50, then 10 meters of climbing remaining, and then 120 meters of descent, over a dozen kms, into Aumale. In short, Conteville was the top of some kind of bloody mountain! This was borne out when someone in a small truck pulled beside me and confided that this was the highest spot in the Departement. "Yeah", tell me about it!

Heart 0 Comment 0

I turned off my assist, in solidarity with Dodie, who had turned her bike totally off, for fear of causing battery damage should it hit absolute zero. We pedaled on, like in the unassisted "old days" - but with no trace of nostalgia!

We arrived eventually at our stay for the night, a place called Au Mouton Gras (the Fat Sheep). It looked like we had traveled straight back into the middle ages, to a pair of crooked, half timber houses.

Heart 5 Comment 0

The interior decor was also interesting, with the bed, for instance, surrounded by a canopy. They had called our room the "Zen Room", stocking it with some buddhas, and sayings from the Dalai Llama on the wall.  Better than any of that was the fact that the room exited directly to a courtyard (i.e. ground level!) so no stairs or carrying up of bags. And the bikes rolled straight into a garage beside the room. That was all much appreciated, and Dodie has been able to collapse in the canopied, silk covered bed, like the tired princess she is!

Heart 3 Comment 0
We are resting in the Zen room!
Heart 0 Comment 0

p.s. We continue to see Buzzards every day. Here is one in flight:

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,006 km (625 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
John FlecknerA long, rough day but looks like few sleeping choices around. Hoping the next legs flatten out. Maybe a rest day in Amiens. Can highly recommend World War I museum in Peronne, a day's ride beyond Amiens. Thanks for your fine reporting.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo John FlecknerIndeed, the choices for accommodation were few. Tomorrow is supposed to be a shorter, and hopefully easier, day to Amiens.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretAmiens! Let me know if you run into a Poret! This is my husband’s Father, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather’s birthplace! Oui! 😁
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretWe will be looking for any lurking "Porets" now that we know there may be some still there. Fun to have a (long distance) connection to a place.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith KleinHi,
I noticed that your ride with gps map had you passing directly over Mont Gripon. A presage of what was to come?
Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinToo bad we didn't look more carefully before setting off. It could have saved us a lot of grief.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago