Day 24: Lisieux to Bourg-Achard - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2024

Day 24: Lisieux to Bourg-Achard

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today starts with a bit of breakfast discussion. So many days in over a dozen years of touring have started that way. It makes sense, because each day of course starts with breakfast. Today I was thinking that on the low end of breakfast quality in France  you can see it clearly, as a piece of bread and jam, and a coffee. But on the higher end, it's tricky. The other day, we thought Ibis Styles was awfully good, but today at  Grand Hotel de l'Esperance we could see that a place may have cheese - but how many types and what quality; meat? how many types? , bread, fruit, pastry - there is no end to the variations. So here we are saying that this hotel was awfully good, and it was, but the field is open for even better to come?

We set off and quickly found ourselves back at the St Pierre church. Our track said we could sneak around behind it to get out of town, but there was no way, so we reverted to the street.

St Pierre again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lisieux is quite a charming town, or at least we could spot handsome half timber houses, like in the photo.

You can also see here a Renault "Ami" electric car. They are super cute, but may not have taken off in popularity, since we have not seen many.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Karen PoretYes, this is France, but a Renault is always a “no-nault” Super cheap!
Think stapled dashboard components..🫣
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith KleinTo Karen PoretHi,
Agreed, except the Ami is a Citroen. For a while you could buy them in the local appliance store. They are electric, and don’t require a drivers license. Not for more than urban use.
Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Keith KleinAh! The sit row en .. At least it’s a bit classier 😉
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinOops. Thanks for the correction.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We won't be able to show too many stunning landscapes or other interesting stuff for today's ride, since it was mainly a cruise through field and forest on small roads. Towns were quite few, and those that had shops or bakeries all had them closed today. I usually explain this as the people got so tired resting up on Sunday that they had to close Monday.

One quite  attractive town was Moyaux. It's the half timbered houses that contribute to the interest in this region, and maybe these are what are considered the typical historic buildings of Normandy. Houses of purely stone construction, that we were seeing everywhere a couple of days ago, are now rarer.

The town of Moyaux
Heart 1 Comment 0
Half timber is the order of the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
They ARE really nice...
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is a beauty!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
The thatched roofs are especially nice in spring when the irises on the roof peak are in bloom!
Cheers,Keith
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWe need to try to swing through a thatched roof area in the spring then. Maybe next year.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
In addition to the timber framing, the churches, and such, there are other touches of construction that are worth noting. For example, look at how this gate house was roofed. It is not such a big deal, but think about the care that was involved from whoever built this.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraI agree. That's a nice detail that took some fancy shingling and planning.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We also love the Normande cattle, which are spotted, and always with dark eye patches. The French say they are wearing sunglasses. They are so cute, we would love to have one at home. But what would we do with it? Well take it for walks of course. That why we would need one of these babies, to train it on going for walks.  These kinds of silly thoughts, of course, can only happen while on tour. The truth is, there is almost no way to get a cow like this in or into North America.

Hey, who wants to come home with us?
Heart 5 Comment 0

We also put the same question to some Charollais. As you can see in the photo, these adults know we are nuts.

Hey guys, lighten up!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We tried it out on a baby, and got a better reception.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One local specialty that translates to home is apple cider. The Calvados department is famous for it, but so is our own island.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We, and Scott as well, rather think that this crop neatly laid out in the field is flax. I picked some up, and maybe found one seed, that could have been flax. So if it is, it has already been threshed. Next it is baled, and by some mystery method converted to linen.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith KleinYep. It’s flax. After the seeds harvested, the stems go for retting, a long soak in water, when the non-fibrous parts are rotted away. Then they are combed and dried to produce tow, which can be spun into linen. Tow is the color of blond hair, so when I was little, I was often called a tow-head, which I took as an insult because I didn’t think my head looked like a toe!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWhat a fount of information you are. Thank you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Our roads today often looked like this. They are swell, until of course you encounter a swiftly approaching car.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The shortage of towns and bakeries also translated to a lack of benches or tables for lunch. The last days we have been using church graveyards.  It's only a partial benefit, since I will not actually sit on a grave. But there is always shade somewhere in the lee of the church. 

Today we were at St Pierre des Ifs. As at many other places there was a memorial to Resistance members killed in 1944. We feel honoured to be reproducing it here online:

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Something of interest in the graveyard was many graves with notices on them indicating that the residents had lost their claim on the space, and they better rise up and straighten matters out with city hall. Failing that, I guess, they risk getting dug up and replaced by someone with more cash.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith KleinFamilies who don’t pay the rent will see their dead relatives evicted and sent to the crematorium after which they are re-interred in potter’s field. Sad, but as rural France becomes more depopulated it’s increasingly common.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWow! Good thing we have already decided to skip all the interim steps and be cremated from the get go.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Here is an example, not necessarily of that someone with more cash, but they sure have  family with lots of flowers.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This yew tree in the graveyard also offered a nice niche for whatever it is we are seeing in there.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With lunch over, we shot off again on the narrow roads, ending at Bourg-Achard, a place we chose that is in easy shooting distance of Rouen, for tomorrow!

Green and pleasant riding, until a car comes!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dodie has just come off of three entertaining hours on the phone. It's all about three refunds sent by Booking.com, that never arrived.  The first half of this was used trying to communicate with staff at CCF bank, who finally positively asserted that they have never seen the funds. The second half was with Booking, who assert that they did send them. I have been calling both parties for the past weeks, but finally got fed up and dropped the "nuclear" option - which is putting Dodie on their case. She still does not have the euros in hand, but did make a lot of progress! I expect that managers at both institutions are finding their ears ringing tonight!

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 858 km (533 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0