Day 15: Les Rosiers sur Loire to Angers-Joe's comments now up - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2024

Day 15: Les Rosiers sur Loire to Angers-Joe's comments now up

Heart 0 Comment 0

The early part of today's ride consisted of very pleasant cruising through "typical" French scenes of boats on the Loire, stone buildings, and unique roof designs.

A cruise on the Loire
Heart 2 Comment 0
Way out on the river, can anyone ID this duck?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltPerhaps some hybrid?

None on the wiki list for France actually fit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Metropolitan_France#Ducks,_geese,_and_waterfowl
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe could not find a match either.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Stone buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unique rooflines, around St Maur
Heart 3 Comment 0

Some of the sights were familiar from past trips, such as the little 19th century chapel with the outdoor statues.

Notre Dame de la Salette
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The real highlight of the day came as we reached the Authion river, near Trélazé, on the threshold of Angers. Twice before we have come to this river, which is crossed by a little ferry that you pull across on your own with a chain (bac a chaine), and twice we failed to make it. The first time, the ferry was out of service, being moored in the middle of the river, and the second time the road to the ferry was barrée. So we approached the crossing this time with some anticipation (trepidation). It turned out that the ferry was there in good order. However, there was still the "fun" of balancing the bikes on board, and pulling across, despite a cross wind. A sign said if the wind is too high, forget it. But we only read that once the crossings were done!

Need to pull the bac as close as possible to our shore.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Get some bikes on board. Amelia points the way to go next.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Pulling the chain draws the bac to the other side.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Half way across
Heart 5 Comment 2
Gina OrchardJ asks: did you see any bones or crocodile in the water? Or fish? I’m glad no one fell in!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardThere was nothing (visible) in the water but the wind was up and the boat was rocking......we were lucky no one went overboard.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Made it!
Heart 6 Comment 4
Scott AndersonWhat a great adventure! I’ve never seen one like this.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonPretty cool. It is called "un bac a chaine", a chain driven ferry, which you pull on to move the boat from one side to the other. One person could do it alone, but it is easier with 2. One to pull the chain and one to hold the ferry in place at either side while the bikes are loaded/unloaded.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraWhat a clever system! I want to cross on one of these one day.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraAnything is possible......
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
On the Trélazé side, we are laughing.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The next big thing is our arrival at the slate quarry park, a site where for years slate was extracted from the ground for roofing and walls, leaving pits that later filled to become ponds.

Entering the slate park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This kid is really just trying out the slate slab, but today we have also cycled the furthest of any on the trip.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The former slate quarry area is full of bits of slate that were not used. There are actually some quite high mountains of them. The kids were able to sort through looking for souvenirs.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A really nice piece.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The slate is still very much visible in this area, in buildings and in walls, cleverly constructed without mortar.

House and wall made with slate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Entering Angers, here is the St Leonard church, made of slate.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we were in Angers we took the opportunity to stop at a bakery (of course), and a grocery. I noticed some boxes stacked outside, and a window poster, and these give a bit of an insight into current French culture. The box displays a militant approach from farmers, who ask for your support by buying their fresh harvest.  Similarly, the poster asks that you support the local bakery that you love.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraAdd some butter, ham and cheese and it's all good!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraThe perfect sandwich. You can't beat a simple ham and cheese sandwich on beautiful bread.... nothing else needed!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Our hotel in Angers this time is near the train station, convenient for when we will need to train on to  Nantes, day after tomorrow.  However we did take a walk into downtown, looking for a restaurant. Once again, on this walk, we noticed how lovely, and sort of Parisian, the town is.  Tomorrow we will go out for a real tour around, and will have some photos to illustrate how nice the place is.

Joe:  (Joe had commented on his photos below, but the hotel internet lost it. Tomorrow we'll get him to re enter!) See how he has some of his own shots of the bac crossing, with salutes from the crew.

Look a cute bird 😊💖😍
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTo my untrained eye, it looks like it was once a Passerine bird.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltQuite possibly, looking at the feet.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
im a cool sheep bruh😎😎😎
Heart 2 Comment 0
look some randome strangers in a boat!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
meet my crew😊
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gina OrchardJ says: Ahoy Joe, I mean Ahoy Captain Joe! Creative, Pirate Captain!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
and my boat⛵🛥️🚢🛳️
Heart 2 Comment 0
this is Evelyn😊🫡
Heart 4 Comment 0
papa or josh💖🫡
Heart 4 Comment 0
amelia😒🫡
Heart 2 Comment 0
dodie😍🫡
Heart 4 Comment 0
and steve👌🫡
Heart 4 Comment 0
look a crime secne🕵️😲😵 (maby i did it😈)
Heart 1 Comment 4
Karen PoretDon’t want to know…
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretJoe's first comment was "was that the scene of a murder?"
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gina OrchardJ believes that Joe had something to do with this one 😂
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardHonestly, it was just there when we arrived......
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 355 km (220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0