Day 13: Beaumont en Veron to Saumur - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2024

Day 13: Beaumont en Veron to Saumur

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today featured the stretch of the trip with the kids that we figured would be the most interesting. It begins at Candes St Martin, where the church tells the story of St Martin. Then it extends beneath limestone cliffs, featuring homes built right into the stone, and two attractions that rely on the cool caves that were created hundreds of years ago by the extraction of stone for construction.

The sunflowers are an exciting part of the route, especially when they are being "polite" and looking our way.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our riders are hitting their stride, now negotiating somewhat tricky trail conditions handily.

Through the forest, on gravel
Heart 3 Comment 0
Down steep slopes
Heart 3 Comment 0
And in heavy bicycle traffic
Heart 5 Comment 0
We enter Candes St Martin
Heart 2 Comment 0
This church is a real landmark for Grampies. We have been here many times before.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The church features the standard image of Martin sharing his cloak with a poor man. This establishes him as the saint of charity.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A stained glass image of St Martin
Heart 2 Comment 0
The kids read the St Martin story, as set out in the church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yes, he's our guy - so famous in this region, and France generally.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of cyclists stop in front of the church in Candes St Martin
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a very attractive village.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The next section features the troglodyte houses. set into the cliff.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Modern window, where is the door?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Here is the series of caves called Le Saut des Loups (Wolf Jump), where mushrooms are produced.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cave system is quite extensive
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wolf theme stems from somewhere in antiquity
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the produce is for sale at reception. Pleurote is Oyster mushroom. I think they had grey, yellow, and pink varieties.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
and a selection of mushroom books.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the caves are lots of explanatory signs about mushroom production, plus rather fanciful black light style illumination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mushrooms of this familiar shape are called Paris mushrooms here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Posters show lots of other colourful mushroom types.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure which variety is growing here.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Keith KleinHi,
Looks like shiitake growing on pressed sawdust blocks. When I was a postdoc in Wisconsin we were trying to perfect this technique for mass production. Never really got there because the market for the species remained rather niche. Really good in stir fry, though.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinYou might have done better in Germany. Saw a statistic on the tour that Germmans eat something like 2 kg of mushrooms per person per year.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith KleinPrice might have an effect. "Exotic" mushrooms are two or three (or more) times the price of the standard white or brown ones here in Vancouver.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The environment in the cave must be very moist, as well as cool. Equipment seems to rust a lot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pink oyster mushrooms
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yellow oyster
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fanciful display
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cutting of tuffeau rock is a big thing, being how/why the caves were created.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This drawing depicts transport of tuffeau as it happened along the Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sawing the rock
Heart 0 Comment 0
This book describes 380 varieties of mushrooms in France, but only a few are commercially produced here in the cave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice book. We have lots like this at home, but generally they are too complicated for us.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith KleinSue swears by this book. She likes ‘shrooms more than I do, and is an avid picker.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinWe have enough trouble with bird identification. Mushroom ID, where your first mistake could be your last, is too intimidating for us.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The tuffeau makes good wood ovens. Here stuffed mushrooms are going to be cooked.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back outside the caves, I noticed a lot of "butterfly bush" (Buddleia), complete with a lot of butterflies. 

Heart 2 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltPeacock butterfly! Finally one I immediately recognized and remembered!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aglais_io
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretThis bush has the most heavenly scent, too :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill. We knew you would identify it for us.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretWe gave one at home and yes, the scent is intoxicating.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Our next destination was to be the dried apple caves, and we followed what some algorithm (geovelo?) felt was the safest way to get there. This turned out to be a classical "grampie trap", ending in a locked gate to a farm field.

Grampie Trap
Heart 2 Comment 0
We went back to the main road, and soon were passing lots of cliff dwellings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And here, we made it to famous Turquant
Heart 3 Comment 0
This map shows the primo stretch - Candes to Saumur
Heart 1 Comment 0
The "pommes tapées" caves
Heart 0 Comment 0

The story of pommes tapées is that the French grape industry was destroyed by the blight phylloxera in the mid 19th century. The local population turned to apple production, and specifically to making dried apples. To do this, they utilized the tuffeau caves, into which wood fired ovens were built.  Apples were peeled (but not cored) and then slow dried in these ovens. The technique was to put the apples in river water soaked willow baskets into the ovens, but to pull them out daily and tap them with hammers to flatten them. Strange, but that is how they did it.

Finished dried whole apples
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dried apples are said to be excellent with roast meats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ther apple caves also housed whole families, as illustrated in this diorama
Heart 3 Comment 0
A variety of peeler styles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Demo apples in the oven
Heart 1 Comment 0
In this cave too, there is a display about cutting the tuffeau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A movie in the cave focusses on the impact of the blight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vines are kaput!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just as at Ussé, the various bottle sizes are an important topic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also as at Ussé, the kids had a questionnaire and a prize for a correct submission.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the admission price to the cave was samples of the pommes tapées. We all got regular ones, while Josh tried a wine version.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just as we were leaving, hoards of bus tourists arrived. We were very glad we missed them, however they did seem pleasant enough.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Now we headed for Saumur, incidentally crossing the Prime Meridian. This was neither here nor there, because the French do not even change the time on either side.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In the approach to Saumur, we passed this major church under renovation. I recall having stopped and learned its whole story on a previous trip, but this time we just blew by.

Heart 2 Comment 0
And we arrived in central Saumur, with its many outdoor restaurants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amelia picked up this little bug, which we have yet to identify.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Scott AndersonMaybe a ladybug larva?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonAgreed. Pupated Asian lady beetle.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/471513/bgimage
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. The kids will be happy to learn this.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThe kids love the link to the bug id site. They are already keen amateur naturalists and appreciate the chance to further their knowledge.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

 Our digs this time are up a tower in the hotel Cristal, right downtown and on the river.  Out our window it looks like this:

Heart 2 Comment 0

And then we have one level up in the tower, where the kids are:

Heart 3 Comment 0
From the kids' window it looks like this
Heart 7 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceMary Poppins's march
https://youtu.be/nUXwcrSth80
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceThe chimney pots are so evocative.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We quickly took to the streets to look for food. It seemed like quite a fertile hunting ground, but a lot of restaurants were not open yet.

Should be food around here, somewhere!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Or here?
Heart 1 Comment 0
We did find one bakery, with these great plum pastries. We'll be back here in the morning, but right now we are after protein!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are distracted by these pack donkeys. They moved on through too quickly to ask what their game was, but they sure looked like they could be on the Camino.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 After a bit more walking, Dodie declared a bonk, and demanded food NOW! We found a butcher with some really nice cold dishes. This solved the problem for us and for Amelia too.

Heart 3 Comment 0

So the Grampies and Amelia went back to the hotel to eat their food finds, which we sent Josh and two kids back into the jungle looking for a restaurant. They ended up walking a lot and basically waiting until restaurants would open at 7 p.m. After that, they had access to lots of food. 

Don't expect food out here until 7!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Joe:

Me at midnight having a nosebleed!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
folowing the leader
Heart 1 Comment 0
I did not know there were so many suns!!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
look look its a cute bird:)
Heart 0 Comment 0
we belive we can fly said the shoping baskets.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Me with my girlfriend!!!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gina OrchardJ says: What the?! That is hilarious Joe!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardJoe definitely has a cute sense of humour. Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Me making a bisnus deal:)
Heart 2 Comment 0

Evee:

when we left our hotel we saw some lawn mower sheep
Heart 2 Comment 0
then there was one lonely sheep at the end of the line very far away from the rest of the pack😂
Heart 2 Comment 0

                                        then we went to a mushroom cave.

this is the sicle of the mushroom life
Heart 3 Comment 0
this is what i would call the siencecy part of the cave
Heart 3 Comment 0
here they are growing some mushrumes in jars
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gina OrchardGreat photo Evee!
J says: Sublime!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardWhy, thank you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

                now there will be a shown proses of the mushroom groing  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
here they are groing some button mushrooms or in franc they call it a paris mushrooms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
how many weeks it takes
Heart 0 Comment 0
mushrooms groing on stone
Heart 2 Comment 0

                                                             flying baskets 

they wanted to fly with the birds 😊
Heart 1 Comment 0
dragone egg :)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gina OrchardJ asks: Is that a real dragon egg?! And did you see a real dragon in there with your sparkly laser eyes?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
mushroom fairy land!!!!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
just watering the mushrooms
Heart 1 Comment 0
fairy
Heart 0 Comment 0

                                                        got to the apple cave 

just taking a well deserved brake
Heart 2 Comment 0
making dry apple
Heart 2 Comment 0
diging more rock
Heart 0 Comment 0
bottlessss
Heart 1 Comment 0
difrent kinds of boats they used
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
he was going to a party😁
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 285 km (177 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0