Day 10: Tours to Villandry *Joe's comments added - Grampies Grand Return to France: Summer 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2024

Day 10: Tours to Villandry *Joe's comments added

Now with Joe's edits

Heart 0 Comment 0

Through the streets of Tours, the town looked more attractive than we remembered. This must be because we stayed off the main street, which is  shot through with streetcars and their tracks.

Tours seemed attractive this time.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Karen PoretThat is because you have “fresh eyes” with the grands :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretMore likely we have very short term memories.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretBut long term cycling!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
City Hall!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Ah yes, there is the cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Many streets are narrow, and at least signed for bicycles.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a bit of noodling around, coping with cycle route signage that as often happens in cities, was non-existent, we found ourselves out along not so much the Loire, as the Cher. As you can see on the above map, the Cher runs largely parallel to the Loire.

There are several styles of boats characteristic of the Loire: The largest boat on the Loire, the Gabare is a boat with a white or red sail, weighing around 22 tonnes that was used to transport goods. The smaller Toue boat is a typical fishing vessel. It can be “Cabanée” (featuring a small cabin). These boats are still used for fishing, and we found them also used by tour operators.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A bridge on the Loire
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Cher is a small and very peaceful river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At about the half way point, the kids are getting refueled.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Down by the river, kids search for fish.

Heart 3 Comment 3
Karen PoretWhat’s “down there”?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretFish!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh! 🐟
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Trailside flowers enliven a bike.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Amelia gets set up with roses for her bike.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sunflowers are a source of continuing wonder, both for kids and for adults. Of course, the major topic is how they are often so rude as to turn away from us. We think these are reasonably well behaved.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This old grain mill on the Cher had been replaced by an ugly modern box nearby. It had begun as soley water powered, before getting a bit of motor assist, and finally being decommissioned.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Laurie MarczakPeople with more money and less sense than us might try to buy that and restore it to live in…
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakOh, good idea!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
La Savonierre is very near to Villandry. It has this fun paved dip. In the photo, Amelia and Dodie can be seen as havingf decided to walk down, but the little blip in the distance is Joe, who blasted down.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Ah, the Villandry chateau in the distance but captured by the camera zoom.
Heart 5 Comment 0

A note about the camera zoom: As had befallen the 30x zoom Lumix ZS60 and related cameras, used by Scott Anderson, Susan Carpenter, Suzanne Gibson, and others on Cycleblaze, mine died yesterday. I buried it deep in a pack, hoping to apply heat, air, lube, dry, or ?? when we get home. But for now, I am back to the little 20x zoom Nikon S7000. 

We generally prefer real hotels to AirBnB arrangements, not least because finding the AirBnB thing is often a treasure hunt, and the entry instructions are usually some sort of puzzle. For example, with the one in Chaumont, there was a combination lock on the gate, that gave access to a garden that had a lock box that gave a key to open a mailbox revealing further keys to some obvious rooms and some behind hidden doors and up stairs!

Today, we got a message saying that all the previous instructions were void, and the place not avaialble,  but that the owner has another, larger place, and all we have to do is phone for new instructions. Yeah, right. At first we got no answer and mailbox full. But later, we connected and got instructions. Eventually it turned out we had three floors of a real house, with scads of rooms and beds and kitchens and terraces. But we had to work to uncover the fact that our place was not just the room on the ground floor.

Josh thinks we are in. Ha!
Heart 4 Comment 0

The structure of our trip is for travel of under 30 km at the start of the day, after which we are planned to reach both the place to stay, and the exciting chateau or other activity. The first premise of that plan is to set off fairly early in the morning. In practice, I must say, we are not too successful with that. The next idea, is to do the exciting activity, and then to proceed to where we are going to stay. But twice now, on reaching the activity, kids have wanted to go to the hotel and rest instead, or maybe first. As I write this, we have indeed bypassed Villandry Chateau and to my mind we are languising in the gite, at 4:30 p.m. However, it is possible we will toddle over to the Chateau sometime soon. If you see a bunch of garden photos below, it means it did happen after all!

----------------------------------------

Aha, here we are at the Chateau after all. They were open until 7, perhaps not enough time to visit the buildings and the gardens, but it was the gardens we were really interested in. The gardens are in the form of formal French Renaissance design - so unlike an English country garden, or Monet's garden. We do rather like it, though, and in this case we have many acres of plants of all types. Whether organized or natural, we love to see all the varieties.

There were nine different designs of the box hedges in the foreground.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Gina OrchardJ says: that maze reminds me of ‘Alice in Wonderland’, but we can call this one “Joe in Wonderland”!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A back view of the chateau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An overview of the main gardens
Heart 6 Comment 2
marilyn swettWow - I'd hate to be the one trimming all of those hedges!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo marilyn swettFunny, That's what we said also!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A closer look at a knot hedge design
Heart 4 Comment 0
Église Saint-Étienne, behind the gardens.
Heart 4 Comment 0

KIDS'S TAKE

Joe:    

Me drinking juice (flavered water)
Heart 5 Comment 0
small pink roses
Heart 2 Comment 0
the great mill
Heart 7 Comment 0
some tresures
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltInvasive Asian clams are everywhere... They have displaced most other freshwater clams here in Ohio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbicula_fluminea
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe told the kids that Bill would know what these are.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
i cool corts rock
Heart 4 Comment 2
Gina OrchardJ says: I LOVE that rock! But not as much as I love my cousins and my Mama and my Dada 💕 Can I see it when I come to visit you?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gina OrchardIf it makes it back to Montreal I am sure the 3 would love to show it to you, and all the other cool stuff they have picked up along the way. Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
cool church
Heart 5 Comment 0
cute cows
Heart 4 Comment 0
THE cow
Heart 3 Comment 0
Swan
Heart 3 Comment 0
cute fish
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI have never seen so many carp in one place! Looks like they are starved for oxygen in overheated water.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/53911-Cyprinus-carpio/browse_photos?place_id=6753
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
cute bee
Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonBe careful of the bees! While I was biking 6 days ago, I was stung by a bee on my knee and it still is slightly swollen and itchy.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonThese are bumbleblebees, which generally are very placid and do not usually sting. Two of the three are fearless about insects, the other one not so much.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
another cute bee
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBoth bees match photos of buff-tailed bumblebees.

Great macro shot.

Interesting his fearless handling. I would not let a bumble bee walk on my hand until I was probably in my 40s!

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/57516-Bombus-terrestris
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThe photographer is Joe but the handler is Amelia. They love all insects and have done since they were really small.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
me as a knight
Heart 5 Comment 0
me as a knight but with a archer helmet
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 203 km (126 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0