Day 7 - Port Clinton to Bowling Green - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2024

Day 7 - Port Clinton to Bowling Green

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was 49 degrees when I woke up this morning.  We had already asked for a noon checkout, so by the time left the hotel it was a balmy 59.  The wind blowing briskly off the lake was very chilly.

Goodbye to Lake Erie for this tour. If we visit here again, it will be July or August!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode only about five miles before turning inland.  The temperature was pleasant off the lakefront.  Soon we were riding through Ohio farmland.  The crop we saw the most of today was wheat.

Attractive farm buildings
Heart 1 Comment 0
We all love the old barns
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first town we came to was Oak Harbor.  I need to learn how to get a good view down these small-town main streets.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezThis looks like the kind of town that would have an old fashioned one screen movie theatre to go with it's old time hardware store!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kelly IniguezWe don't always stop to get a picture, but your name always comes up when we pass an old movie theater.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
If we hadn't gotten such a late start, we might have taken a walk around this store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry had to look this one up. The large smokestacks are on the Materion Brush Beryllium & Composites site, located between Oak Harbor and Elmore
Heart 0 Comment 0
Commodore Perry led a decisive victory over British at the Battle of Lake Erie during the war of 1812.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have no idea what this is with the brilliant red flowers. It made a really pretty field.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltCrimson clover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_incarnatum
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill. As much as we have photographed and commented on agriculture on our previous tours, I'm surprised we haven't noted it before. It really was pretty. The only problem is now I'm going to have that stupid Tommy James song in my head all day!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Rose SamsonThese beautiful red flowers are eye catchers, you can't help it but
take a good look at them & smile ! A beautiful field nature has shown.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

The second of three little towns we rode through today.  This is Elmore.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our route followed the Portage River all the way from Lake Erie to Bowling Green.  We were in sight of the river here and there.

Portage River near Woodville
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our last stop was in Pemberville.  It is a very attractive little town.

Pemberville business district
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The red brick looks so nice against the green grass and shrubbery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were looking for a restroom and were turned away at the carry-out store around the corner from the town hall.  The woman there pointed at her "No Public Restroom" sign and was adamant about it.  We went down the block to Obie's Flowers, a greenhouse and florist.  They were friendly and welcoming and happy to let us use their restroom.  We found out that the two owners were sisters, Margarer and Diane, and that the business was founded in 1962 by their father, Obie.  We enjoyed talking with them.

Margaret and Diane
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had been commenting on the beautiful, lush, green, soft Ohio grass as were rode.  Very different from the St. Augustine grass in Florida.  After awhile, we realized that mowing was the primary activity of the day.  We must have passed dozens of people mowing their yards.  

It's the kind of grass that makes you want to just lie down in it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding mowers were used even in small spaces. I saw one person using a push mower, but didn't get a picture.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI wonder if it's a badge of honor to be the first one out mowing the lawn. I had a friend whose husband got a little too competitive with the lawn mowing. When he started mowing more than once a week, she had to say something!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 177 miles (285 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0