Day 59 - Carson City to Lowell - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2024

Day 59 - Carson City to Lowell

Heart 1 Comment 0
Previously I mentioned the stairs leading to our 3rd floor room. Taking the luggage down the stairs was actually harder than taking it up.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I don't often talk about food on our trips, but this morning's breakfast deserves mention.  Besides the bowl of fresh fruit and homemade muffins, the everything-you-can-imagine omelet was one of the best I've ever had.  If I didn't have to ride today, I would have asked for seconds.

After breakfast, we hung around the B&B until almost 11 to allow it to warm up a bit. Once on the road, I enjoyed an almost perfect cycling day - mild temps, clear skies and a gentle tailwind.  I started the day by backtracking to Hubbardston.  From there I continued south to Pewamo and then I headed west.

This wheat field was bordered by a mass of these blue flowers. From a distance the contrast was very pretty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A silo with a window.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A view of the Maple River just south of Hubbardston.
Heart 0 Comment 0

About 2 miles outside Ionia, I picked up the Ionia River Trail which follows alongside the Grand River.

I'll call it "river grass", but whatever it actually is, the Grand River is full of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deer seem to like the stuff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Having its fill, this deer heads back to the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ionia it the county seat of Ionia County, where we bagged our 42nd courthouse. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the rear of the courthouse. The front of the courthouse is being renovated and was obstructed from sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You currently enter the courthouse through the basement. The brick walls give it a somewhat dungeon-like appearance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The basement had a lot of side corridors, but I didn't explore them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Once you get to the main level, you are greeted by this grand staircase.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking down the staircase from the second floor
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oak wainscoting lines the hallways. The flooring is black and white marble.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The woodwork extends to the ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No judge's permission needed - the door was open :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Main Street in Ionia will never need to be painted. The red brick street has a white brick centerline and parking space indicators. For a brick road, it was surprisingly smooth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Ionia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The rear of the Ionia rail depot. It is currently a beauty salon.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Ionia, I met Betty, who lives in Battle Creek, on the Ionia River Trail. We rode together until we parted ways at Saranac. It was nice meeting you Betty!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Grand River near Lowell.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we got checked in to our hotel in Lowell, we took a walk about town.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Lowell Showboat as seen from our hotel room.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Downtown Lowell is filled with historical markers.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A set of flow gates on the Flat River in downtown Lowell. They were used to control the water supply to the water turbines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pair of 1850's era water turbines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This device raises and lowers the flow gates. Note the chain wrapped around the capstan. The other end of the chain is attached to the gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A chain attached to another gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
King Mills is a major employer in town and is located directly across from our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 1,476 miles (2,375 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0