Day 51 - Evart to Baldwin - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2024

Day 51 - Evart to Baldwin

Heart 1 Comment 0

Busy roads, quiet roads, paved roads, dirt roads, paved trails, unpaved trails, 2 courthouses, and a tour of a closed museum sum up the day. 

We requested a late checkout today because the Old Rugged Cross Historical Museum in Reed City didn't open until 1 PM.  We arrived right at 1 o'clock only to find a note on the door, saying they were closed until 1:30 due to a funeral.  However, the door was not locked, so we let ourselves in.  All of the lights were off, and we decided we really shouldn't be there so, after a quick walk around, we left.

It was really to dark to see anything, but I did take a couple of photos as reminder that we were there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Osceola Courthouse was just a short distance away, but being today is Sunday, it was closed so there are no courtroom photos.

The security add-on takes away from the building's aesthetics.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving the courthouse, I picked up the Pere Marquette State Trail which was just down the street. 

Even though it rained yesterday, the surface was firm but somewhat grassy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Stop Sign warning just lets you know that you're not really in the boonies
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small pond alongside the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not much is left of the once thriving African American resort. If not for the historical marker and small park, I would not have known that I was riding though an old resort area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake County's courthouse is much more imposing that Osceola's.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brown trout sculpture in Baldwin. Fishing is big in the area and many of the local motels and restaurants are sportsmen themed.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jeff TeelJeanna and Kerry,
I love it when a bird photobombs my pictures!
Looking forward to your arrival in Illinois :)
Jeff
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0