Day 45 - Mt. Pleasant to Gladwin - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2024

Day 45 - Mt. Pleasant to Gladwin

Heart 0 Comment 0

I love a good tailwind and I had one all day today.  That was a great because my route had limited options for taking breaks and the afternoon temps were in the mid 90's.  I figure that the tailwind cut over an hour of my ride time.   Other than that, todays ride was much the same as the last few days: quiet roads and lots of farms. 

We started the day seeing the Isabella County Courthouse.  It is not one that will make the Most Beautiful Award, but hey, it is another courthouse, and it counts.

Isabella County Courthouse. The county is named after Queen Isabella of Spain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the 5th courthouse for the county. It was built in 2000, but IMO it is already showing its age.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the top of the courthouse that was built in 1877. (Jeanna was built 76 years later :-) )
Heart 1 Comment 0
This steeple sits atop a plain concrete block structure on the corner of the Isabella County Fairgrounds. I have no idea of its significance, but the top of the 1877 courthouse sat here for a while as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tractor art in the front yard of a farmhouse.
Heart 2 Comment 2
marilyn swettIt' s amazing what crazy things you'll see on a bike ride! Makes you wonder how the heck did they get that tractor up there???
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettGood question! Using trees for "yard art" seems to be the thing on our route this year. It isn't something we have noticed before, but folks have gotten very creative with their stumps.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
And a small collection of John Deere's at another farmhouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scene of the day's ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In a few years this barn will be a candidate for "Old Barn of the Day"
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old silo was sitting out in the middle of a large field by itself. As I approached, I saw a large bird land on the top. As I was taking a photo, its mate landed as well. I'm not sure, but I think they're vultures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the prettier houses of the day. The topiary and flowers are what caught my eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gladwin County Courthouse was built in 1939. It reminds me more of an old high school than a courthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This cornerstone gave me a clue to its age.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deputy Mike gave me a tour of the courthouse - (Actually, I think it was more like an escort). Whatever the case, THANKS Mike!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
According to Mike, this is the largest of the courtrooms in the building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Decorative floor at the entrance of the courthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Major Henry Gladwin is the county's namesake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow's a day off for us.  We plan to do a little sightseeing around the Gladwin area.  I also have to create some routes for the next week while Jeanna works on getting motel reservations.

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 1,069 miles (1,720 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0